Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Camera flash filters instead of Lee filters  (Read 1561 times)
Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« on: April 23, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »

Cannot find any Lee filter swatches. Period. None of them in Moscow. But there are also no-name brand colored filter sets for camera flashes for sale in photography shops.

Does anyone know, can these filters be used as saber color filters? Are they as good for brightness as Lee filters, or same crappo as color discs?

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »

You can't find the main Lee Filters website to order from? That's weird. I'll hook you up sometime. With the website I mean. Lol.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:29:22 PM »

Essentially any sort of camera filter or filter used for lighting is going to be made out of the same stuff and come in pretty much the same variety, so I would say that they would be just as good as LEE filters

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »

You can't find the main Lee Filters website to order from? That's weird.

(in a very quiet, slow, dissonantly serene voice) i. live. in. russia. even. if. they. do. send. to. russia. it. is. insanely. expensive. last. time. i. checked. they. did. not.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »

I suspect that the big appeal of Lee Filters is that the book of samples you get is so big - dozens, if not hundreds of colours.

Any sort of thin, coloured plastic should produce some sort of result - but the thicker the plastic, the dimmer it's likely to make the blade. I would have thought that any camera filters in general should be fine, though.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »

Try the Apollo filters page...you might have to Google it... they were free.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »

To those who haven't noticed. I live in a place far, far away. Where the transport cost of anything from USA is around $50 minimum. So I have to settle for what's available locally. If anything is very cheap or free in the USA, I will have to pay $50 nonetheless, to transport it to my place.

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »

Rina, depending on how expensive the flash filters are, I'd say you should try them. Like someone else said, they're still photography filters, so they should work. Best of luck!

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 03:52:31 PM »

There is no try. Do. Or do not. And I will do.

srams
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »

Oh yeah I forgot about shipping.

Get some clear plastic and some colored sharpies

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 05:55:19 AM »

... and the result will be the same as color discs. Thanks, I already have color discs.

srams
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »

Wow, OK I just read your original question for the first time... sorry. And I have no idea.

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »

I've bought one set of these filters, with various shades of blue and purple. The results are... varied. I've got one nice, slightly bluish "true silver" color, one nice purple and one good-enough pink; two other colors, equivalent to US Guardian Blue and DVA, are too dim. Perhaps they cannot be replicated by filters at all. The next set I'll buy will contain greens and yellows.

When I'm done testing all of them, I'll post a photo review.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: