Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Looking for chrome faceplate (Also showing off the mask thus far)  (Read 1326 times)
cujoe_da_man
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 34

« on: January 22, 2016, 04:07:41 AM »

As the title implies, I'm looking for a face plate that resembles something along the lines of Cobra Commander, the solid chrome style, but without a helmet.  The face plate has to be solid chrome and cover the whole face, also being see-thru is a must, kinda like sunglasses or motorcycle helmet covers.

This is the result of much brainstorming on how I can wear an outfit without wearing glasses, because I'm more or less blind without glasses, so I needed an alternative.  I found these awesome 'faceless' masks at the Halloween stores last year and have been working on a mask for my outfit, however, I'm afraid that the delicate nature of the plastic will cause it to fall apart before too long (I've already started a crack near the forehead, luckily you can't see it).  It's still kind of crude right now, but for the most part, it works and does its job very well.  I can wear it comfortably under a Jedi hood/robe and I have full head movement (take that, Vader!).

I've already got most of the mask done, just some odds and ends:

The mask surrounded by a hood cut from an old "Death" robe.  I only did it for one year and figured I'd never wear it again.  I know snaps aren't exactly popular for Star Wars outfits, but in this case, I made an exception because this way I can remove the hood should I need to change out the face plate to a new one.  I'm thinking of painting them black just so you can't see them very good.

The front of the mask.  The problem with these chrome face plates is that the company that makes them have absolutely ZERO quality control.  I get most Halloween store merchandise is made cheap to be sold high, but these masks are so unsymmetrical that if I were to wear it normally without the crown, it would literally look like I was hit in the face with a 2x4.  The molds are just terribly off center, making the placement of the hardware and hood difficult.  The chin wraps down under my own by about an inch, but the center of it veers to the right of my face.

The skeleton.  It started as a single piece of bent aluminum that ran from the back of my head all the way down the front.  The mask itself is held onto the aluminum with a strip of double-sided, 3M automotive trim tape.  Regular double-sided tape didn't stick too well to the aluminum, even after cleaning it.  I will be changing out the fasteners soon as the self tapping screws were only used to help hold everything in place.  The idea is that the mask is not attached to your face, rather it sits out in front, hence why I put the 'crown' further back.  This will help when I go to install a small fan inside.

*edited for lousy grammar*
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:12:54 AM by cujoe_da_man » Logged

I am a grey Jedi.
My passions are a part of me,
but they do not control me.
Domination can be broken.
Serenity can be a lie.
Knowledge gives me strength,
but power can be a weakness.
Peace and chaos gives me harmony,
Through balance I gain victory.
There is no Light or Dark,
There is only the Force.
Do not try to sway me or you will feel my wrath.
---
My Collection:
Dark Mantis - Violet Amethyst, Obsidian V3
Initiate V4 - Adegan Silver, Obsidian V4
Dark Sentinel V4 - Adegan Silver, Obsidian Lite
Initiate V2 - Fire Orange, Stunt Saber

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1453

Ki tsimsima tuti mazo Galactic, Nu qorit dudnims!

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:42:43 AM »

Since I'm also a biker, consider using something like these chrome DOT visors. They're usually symmetrical and visually cool because they can't hinder vision by DOT laws.

Hope it helps. Wink
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:45:52 AM by Lord Raváge » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: