Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1303708 times)
Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2010 on: April 08, 2016, 02:41:33 PM »

So you're banking on fear instead of naiveté? You probably already know that most foster hope for change, not realizing that people don't change without a life cataclysm. They retain the same mentalities they had when they were children.

The biggest wretch of the situation is that although you love your friend, you don't want to offer the shoulder to cry on when dick-nuts hurts her again, because you are so opposed to her decision.

My sympathies.

I'm not sure if you're referencing her or her partner in that first sentence.  If you are referencing her partner, then yes, the partner has to want to change.  The partner doesn't want to, despite going through all of the motions of pretending to want to.  They are lying to her.  We all see it.  It's part of the abuse cycle.  "I can change!  J/K, I'll abuse you.  I AM SO SORRY!  I can change!"

On her side of things, if one has never been in an abusive relationship of this nature, it's hard to understand that one can't just "walk away."  Fear holds you where  you are.  It's got NOTHING to do with wanting to change or not, at least not on her part.  She knows what she has to do, but because the vast amount of change necessary to do so is a factor, she is bound by fear of doing it.  It's also got nothing to do with me not offering her a shoulder to cry on.  I will gladly listen to her and she can rant all she wants (she's not a crier), but I have no further "advice" to offer her.  She knows where I stand, so while I can listen to her, the response will still be the same.  That's not being unsupportive.  I would expect the same.   And if she needs a place to stay until she can get on her feet, she has one.   Mine.   And she knows it.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2772

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2011 on: April 08, 2016, 02:53:14 PM »

I'm not sure if you're referencing her or her partner in that first sentence.  If you are referencing her partner, then yes, the partner has to want to change.  The partner doesn't want to, despite going through all of the motions of pretending to want to.  They are lying to her.  We all see it.  It's part of the abuse cycle.  "I can change!  J/K, I'll abuse you.  I AM SO SORRY!  I can change!"

On her side of things, if one has never been in an abusive relationship of this nature, it's hard to understand that one can't just "walk away."  Fear holds you where  you are.  It's got NOTHING to do with wanting to change or not, at least not on her part.  She knows what she has to do, but because the vast amount of change necessary to do so is a factor, she is bound by fear of doing it.  It's also got nothing to do with me not offering her a shoulder to cry on.  I will gladly listen to her and she can rant all she wants (she's not a crier), but I have no further "advice" to offer her.  She knows where I stand, so while I can listen to her, the response will still be the same.  That's not being unsupportive.  I would expect the same.   And if she needs a place to stay until she can get on her feet, she has one.   Mine.   And she knows it.

I have actually been on both sides of this equation, and equally inadvertently.

My ex-wife complained that I refused to change, and therefore kept hurting her. It wasn't a matter of refusal, rather than I didn't know how to change despite my sincerest wish to do so to make her happy.

On the flip side, but in the same relationship...the marriage was dead, but I was terrified of all that would have to change if I let it go. Had I been braver and more decisive there is a very good chance that I could have made something better work, but now that's gone too.

From both sides of the experience, though, I have learned the value of being honest, especially with myself, and to not be petrified by fear of making a decision. It was a major catalyst in forming my Sith mentality.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2012 on: April 08, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »

I hope you weren't anything like her partner.  It's bad for her and very obvious.

As for my ex,  his brand of abuse was far more subtle than what this person is doing to her.  It was years before I realized what he was doing because he was that skilled at it.  Hardly anyone else saw it on the surface, but my friends who knew me best and had known me for years began to see it much quicker than anyone else.  What actually prompted me to leave him had nothing to do with his abuse, though, oddly enough.  It's a long story I have no desire to retell.   It took me nearly 7 years to undo the damage and reclaim who I was before and I did it on my own through trial and error. 

It's all pretty messed up with her, but my intuition tells me that eventually, she'll pull herself out it.  But SHE has to do it.  No one can help her do it.  I don't say that to be cruel, I say it because that's how she will heal.  Myself and other friends can support her when she does, but she has to be the one to do the change work.  I've seen her pull herself out of some unbelievable crap that most people would run screaming from even attempting, so this?  Yeah, she's got this.  She can do it.  It's just a matter of when the desire to do so is greater than her fear of the extreme changes it will require. 

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2013 on: April 08, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »

I hope you weren't anything like her partner.  It's bad for her and very obvious.

Oh no. My so called "abuse" was completely unintentional and therefore devoid of malice. It mainly had to do with my ADHD making it extremely difficult read social cues. it also didn't help my cause that I was on a medication that had the possible side effect of increased feelings of anger (that she failed to tell me  Angry) on top of a track record of occasional temper issues.

I despised failing in the one area I prized more than anything else, but I am now in a better state of mind, and preparing to be better in my next endeavor.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2014 on: April 08, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »

My temper is one reason I worry sometimes about the idea of marrying and having children.

(And despite popular belief it is no more acceptable for a woman to engage in such things and a man DOES have a right to not have to endure that.)

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2015 on: April 08, 2016, 04:43:44 PM »

My temper is one reason I worry sometimes about the idea of marrying and having children.

(And despite popular belief it is no more acceptable for a woman to engage in such things and a man DOES have a right to not have to endure that.)

You're not Irish are you?

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2016 on: April 08, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »

You're not Irish are you?

Not that I'm aware of, but there is a great grandfather whose heritage the family knows nothing about.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2017 on: April 08, 2016, 05:01:53 PM »

Not that I'm aware of, but there is a great grandfather whose heritage the family knows nothing about.

My ex was of Irish decent, and she made no excuses for her temper, yet mine was uncalled for. There were no shortage of reasons that we were compatible, despite being in love for a time.

Still fuzzy about what you're trying to say here.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2018 on: April 08, 2016, 05:08:46 PM »

That a woman has no more right to mistreat a man, than the other way around.  Meaning it would not be acceptable for me if my temper got out of hand.  

(The belief that women are allowed to act towards men in ways men aren't allowed to act towards a woman is an unfortunate belief that some people have...some kind of weird chivalry whatever.  Me...I feel that I have no less obligation to own my actions and exercise self-control than a man.)

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2019 on: April 08, 2016, 05:25:56 PM »

That a woman has no more right to mistreat a man, than the other way around.  Meaning it would not be acceptable for me if my temper got out of hand.  

(The belief that women are allowed to act towards men in ways men aren't allowed to act towards a woman is an unfortunate belief that some people have...some kind of weird chivalry whatever.  Me...I feel that I have no less obligation to own my actions and exercise self-control than a man.)

On the other side of the fence...I cannont stand to be around my father-in-law, which is to say, neither can the rest of his family.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2020 on: April 08, 2016, 05:44:38 PM »

I, too, have a fantastically absurd temper that I manage to control for the most part.  I would blame it on being Scottish, but there are other (biological) reasons for it, none of which have anything to do with being one sex or the other.  There have been many times when I've tossed everything off a table or out of the freezer because I couldn't find something or simply "just because," but I tend to do that more so when I'm alone than in the presence of others.  No one needs to see my table-flip moments, even if some of them are kinda funny.   Cheesy

However, I have always been vehemently opposed to the idea that it's "okay" for a woman to hit a man.  No, it freakin' isn't.  It's not "okay" for ANY sex/gender to strike another in anger and I can promise you, if someone hits me?  It's the only time they'll do it.  I don't think I've ever lashed out at anyone physically whilst angry.  It's just not my style and it's never appropriate.  I'm disgusted by it.

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #2021 on: April 08, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »

I think I'm pretty good at managing my temper - mainly because I'm always slightly annoyed and have built an insane tolerance for "dealing with it".
That being said my extended family are so stereo-typically old-fashioned that I can only handle brief visits with them. If I get asked when I'm getting married and having kids again I might go insane.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2022 on: April 08, 2016, 06:25:57 PM »

Yeah, that. It's sexism at its finest. Kinda like how if a Black comedian makes fun of white people, it's funny. But vice versa, and it's racist. (I know that this statement might be a little charged, but it is merely an observation.)

However, I have always been vehemently opposed to the idea that it's "okay" for a woman to hit a man.  No, it freakin' isn't.  It's not "okay" for ANY sex/gender to strike another in anger and I can promise you, if someone hits me?  It's the only time they'll do it.  I don't think I've ever lashed out at anyone physically whilst angry.  It's just not my style and it's never appropriate.  I'm disgusted by it.

Totally agree. If you have the balls to hit a man, you'd better have the balls to get hit back.

I think I'm pretty good at managing my temper - mainly because I'm always slightly annoyed and have built an insane tolerance for "dealing with it".
That being said my extended family are so stereo-typically old-fashioned that I can only handle brief visits with them. If I get asked when I'm getting married and having kids again I might go insane.

So when are getting married?... (I just wanna see what happens)

I've finally learned that for me, it's best to hold off Kylo Renning for a few when the occasion arises. I'm usually pretty good at finding a distraction to forget that I was upset (times I love my ADHD). But if the problem follows (namely a person), they are treading on frost thin ice.

Sig by For Tyeth

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #2023 on: April 08, 2016, 07:14:27 PM »

Once upon a time in my last life I spent 8 years as a cop.  In my experience I have seen everything:  men hitting men, women hitting women, men hitting women, and women hitting men, its never pretty and it always ends messily.  I have had to hold my temper for many years and know when to release that anger.  I have hit men, women, and even teenagers when the need arose, but I never abused my power (I wasn't that kind of cop).  I have been spit on, crapped on, and thrown up on.  I fought with a guy who had a loaded .45 handgun in his pocket and he was going to shoot me if I hadn't fought harder than him.  I believe that a person is entitled to defend themselves no matter what.  I don't condone violence, but I believe that a person has a right no live as he/she likes and they should never be someone else's punching bag.    I have tried to help people get out of abusive relationships, but when a person doesn't want to leave, you can't make them.  It often takes a massive amount of damage before someone chooses to leave.  I wish  it were otherwise, but sadly no!

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2024 on: April 08, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »

I too am always slightly annoyed, and have built the tolerance for it. Wink

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: