Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Geek/Nerd Pride  (Read 7270 times)
Darth Gekido
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -75

Ronin Sith Marauder

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »

NERD POWER! (Does flourish with both Prophecy V3 and Bellicose, and if sabers were real, promptly "removes" right ear ) Roll Eyes

"Honor is a fool's prize... and glory is of no use to the dead."
      "Mizz'ri"-FO Bellicose, Obsidian, Long Grooves
      "Excrucio"-DVA Prophecy V3, Obsidian, Silver FoC
      "BMF"-Hasbro Force FX Mace Windu
      "Pain"-Anakin ROTS US FX, VA 
Dark Side points, please

John-Michael
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 45

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »

I have led a strange double life which I will summarize in a few quick sentences since Mythbusters just ended and I have to get my kids out of the house. I'm a dual class Jock / Nerd. I have always been a nerd, but sort of was a closeted jock for most that time. As I came out of the closet, I realized I really didn't like role playing games and started playing football. Was kind of a revelation. Holy shell, I'm really really good at this! That started me getting in fights, lots and lots of fights. (Also I'm an Irish Jew, so....) I became a sort of anti-bully. You know the Force? Yeah, power goes to your head and I felt myself slipping, because now I was picking on other people just to start fights. These people I considered assholes and most times they were engaged in picking on nerds, but not always. :-/

So I'm left with both really. I'm embarrassed among straights by how much a nerd I am, and among nerds how much a jock I am. I don't really fit in anywhere. Neither is my whole life, you know? I don't get that. Why let one facet of anything define you? When I'm on a heavy bag, just kicking the shell out of it, know what I'm listening to? Hell yes it's probably Duel of the Fates (or Graveyard BBQ). When I'm on mile six if you think I'm not choreographing epic fight scenes in my head to keep myself going you're nuts. After my Nomad slammed that little Charger out of the way as if he was a measly 170lb safety so I could spike his warcaster into the dirt like a football you're damn right I've called him Tebow ever since.
Reading that warmed my plaque-and-cholesterol-encrusted heart and rocked on so many levels.  Sincerely, I thank you.

I think there are many reasons that make it great to be a nerd, and one of those is the fact that MOST nerds have enough mental capacity to multi-task, have expanded and wide-ranging interests and be more than a mere label.

I believe that each person is more than his/her job, birth order, hobby, sexual orientation/preference, current marital status, etc.  Instead, I believe we are all of the above, at least in some degree or another.  Let's leave the label-making to those who need them to distinguish people (themselves in particular) from others.

Batman would beat the Hulk, Barry Sanders would run circles around Adrian Peterson, the Galactica would devastate the Enterprise, an M4 carbine is a way better weapon than a Star Trek phaser, Jedi knights would be toast if the badguys ever figured out 12 ga. shot guns
I agree with you on all points, particularly about Barry (too bad the Lions didn't let him go to the 49ers at that point) although I had to think about Galactica vs. Enterprise.  I think Galactica definitely wins on cool factor points, but I have a soft spot for the NCC-1701D.

anyone who didn't know for a fact Overeem would utterly murder Lesnar was a complete idiot.
I am that complete idiot who was actually shocked that Overeem beat Lesnar.  Yup, that was me.  That's what I get for ignoring Strikeforce and K1.  Then again, I was also shocked at Overeem's incredible over-night weight gain since his k1 days.  I also figgered that Lesnar was a Division-I wrestling champ, and he always had phenomenal shots and leg take-downs.  As it turned out, Lesnar did not look like his old self and could NOT take Overeem down with what seemed like shockingly poor or half-hearted attempts.  So, if a wrestler can't take a kick boxer down, what happens?

That's right: Boot to da head.  Or, in this case, punches in bunches.

John-Michael
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »

I really, really hate it when someone calls me that. I mean yeah I might be but I still hate the word, especially in finnish.
I'm not so much of a "nerd" anymore though, gotten into Assassin's Creed and wanting to have all sorts of ninja skills requires muscle and aerobic training, which is what I'm doing at the moment. But I also get called that by my classmates sometimes because they simply just suck so hard in some things I'm really good at.
This reminds me of an interesting exchange I once heard, where I really wished I was the guy who had the last word.  I don't remember the exact words used during the exchange, but to summarize, kinda went like this:

ANTAGONIST:  If you like Star Wars, then you are a nerd.

PROTAGONIST:  I like Star Wars.  If that makes me a nerd... well, OK.  What do you like to do?

ANTAGONIST:  Dude, I watch SPORTS. 

PROTAGONIST:  So, I'm a nerd and you're a.. what?  A couch potato?

The funny thing here is that the antagonist was more than a bit... hefty.

John-Michael
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »

"Pretty darn good, since they don't actually have anywhere near that density in real life"? Cool
Yes, but in Nero's defense, he was quoting Star Wars, where fierey explosions can occur in the vaccuum of space, starfighters maneuver as if they were in atmosphere and Princess Leia is statistically a more accurate shot than stormtropers and Boba Fett.

On the other hand, NERD POWER to you, my AZN sister!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »

"Pretty darn good, since they don't actually have anywhere near that density in real life"? Cool

Yes, but in Nero's defense, he was quoting Star Wars, where fierey explosions can occur in the vaccuum of space, starfighters maneuver as if they were in atmosphere and Princess Leia is statistically a more accurate shot than stormtropers and Boba Fett.

On the other hand, NERD POWER to you, my AZN sister!

Well put John-Michael, after all Star Wars kinda operates on different physics...

At the same time, touche Jenny.  There's no fooling you!

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »

Star Wars kinda operates on different physics...

And those physics are called, phantasy. At least Star Wars nerds can deal with it. Trying to get Star Trek goofs to admit the same is like convincing the Olsen twins to eat a doughnut.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

John-Michael
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »

NERD POWER! (Does flourish with both Prophecy V3 and Bellicose, and if sabers were real, promptly "removes" right ear ) Roll Eyes

If I could give you more dark side points per hour (in approval), I would.

Nice choice on sabers...

BTW, didn't Vincent Van Gogh remove his own ear, also?  Coincidence?  Hmmm...

Darth Gekido
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -75

Ronin Sith Marauder

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »

BTW, didn't Vincent Van Gogh remove his own ear, also?  Coincidence?  Hmmm...

He sure did, and also a ginger! Hmm...

"Honor is a fool's prize... and glory is of no use to the dead."
      "Mizz'ri"-FO Bellicose, Obsidian, Long Grooves
      "Excrucio"-DVA Prophecy V3, Obsidian, Silver FoC
      "BMF"-Hasbro Force FX Mace Windu
      "Pain"-Anakin ROTS US FX, VA 
Dark Side points, please

John-Michael
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 09:24:42 PM »

He sure did, and also a ginger! Hmm...

Hmmmmmmmmm..........
*cocks one eyebrow and rubs chin thoughtfully*

OK, more nerd stuff.  This is kind of an anthem for Star Wars fan boys (and the girls who love us):
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uILUCplfi-M" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uILUCplfi-M</a>

And speaking of our beloved sister nerds (nerdettes?)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlaJ4zPbSI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlaJ4zPbSI</a>

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »

This is for those that are closets Nerd or who are in denial.

NERD POWER!!!!

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Jenny
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 56

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 12:45:21 AM »

That's amusing, but most of the actual Nerd Grrrlz I know are quite fond of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.  Of course, it's a lot harder to just buy perfume for one of us than for the run-of-the-mill straight girl... we tend to be very specific about what we like, or don't.

Amen
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 18

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 12:57:20 AM »

Yes, I also find myself partially identified in the various genres of peoples.  

One time (as a freshman in the high-school locker room,) the most popular linebacker singled me out.  I was already uncomfortable with just changing in front of others, all my weight seemed to be applied to my increasing height.  As a freshman I was 5'11 and 165 lbs.  So Noah (the 200+ lb. star football player,) narrows his too-close together eyes on me while I have my shirt off as I was changing.  He proceeds to pinch my nipple and grunts out, "quick! Name 10 Beers!"  I realized he wasn't letting go until I completed the challenge, and as he began twisting and squeezing harder, in the chaos and fear-what I thought he said was, "quick name 10 Bears!"  So I started listing all the bears I could think of. . .but I could only think of appx. 4 or 5 different bears.  This seemed to anger the bearded-ogre and I didn't know what to do.  My chest was hurting at this point, and luckily one of my soccer buddies came to my defense.  "Hey, quit picking on him Noah!" Garth demanded, as he reached and grabbed Noahs hand.  I also grabbed his hand as we both attempted to pry his fingers of my nipple.  Problem was he wasn't letting go, NOW, I had three people all trying to amputate my attachment.  After a brief struggle the Ogre DID indeed let go and began to target my fellow freshman and hero Garth.  Before he "got him", however, the bell rang and we all rushed to get our belongings and off to the next class. . .we were truly, "saved by the bell."

It was a a rude awakening to high-school.  

Like I said at the start of this post, I find myself identifying with different groups.  It became a strength later in the space-time continuum, as I became friends with several different gang members-the Red Cobras, Crips and Bloods.  I played several different sports growing up and always had friends who were the popular jocks.  But my favorite enclave was within the chemistry room.  It was the chemistry room where you would find me and my favorite people.  We would spend time disproving simple math equations that most people took as a given.  We had lured the Chemistry teacher into trusting us with the chemical room, and any parts/tool therein.  And we played Magic the Gathering.  Extra money would be devoted to attaining the rare cards, and making an unbeatable deck.  

It was during junior year I discovered I had a strange but wonderful ability to accomplish yo-yo tricks.  I was known as the yo-yo guy. . .some made fun, some thought it was cool.  I almost became sponsored by Yomega, at the time (an up-and-coming yo-yo company.)

In the end. . .I can say that it is better to forge your own path, rather than follow others.  To be a nerd is to be a leader.
Amen

Jenny
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 56

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 01:03:23 AM »

I don't know that nerd = leader is necessarily true, because a leader has to have followers, and I know quite a few nerds who couldn't inspire anyone else to follow them out of a burning building.  I will give you nerd = !follower, though.

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 02:05:05 AM »

I've been a nerd for as long as I can remember. I was really scrawny and uncoordinated as a kid, I could take a beating and keep going though. I was always afraid of my strength, I was adopted from a bad family and I had rage problems. I actually beat up my older brother in law when I was 4. Don't remember it at all. 

So I was scared to fight back, so I got picked on a lot all through elementary school and middle school. I started doing Shorin Ryu my 8th grade year, and I was a natural at it. So people stopped messing with me physically, but it didn't stop the verbal abuse. By then I didn't care, I was comfortable with myself and really proud of my status in my Faith and in my nerdiness. Star Warsth has always helped my  Faith so I own that right up front. I even carry my lightsaber on my belt all the time as a symbol of my dedication to my Faith and my other passions.

Anyways a lot of people try to mess with me even today, but with 15 plus years of martial arts experience... Few people are able to actually do anything to me.

Most people are just so jealous that they aren't secure enough to wear their true passions on their sleeves, or belt, or that Jedi order tattoo on my shoulder lol

qroon
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 43

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 05:55:13 AM »

Some people assume that I'm a nerd because I like Star Wars and I'm a UNIX/Linux system admin. But the truth is that I'm neither a nerd nor a jock. I'm just a regular guy who happens to like Star Wars, Alan Moore works, Neil Gaiman works, plethora of comics titles, alternate histories, science fiction in general and conspiracy theories. I watch basketball and used to collect cards. And I also play Legend of Five Rings.

When I was a teenager, I played basketball and darts (well, I still play darts today). Some people think that I love Counter Strike because I play airsoft. I hate first person shooting! I prefer games like Red Alert and Stronghold. Oh, and chess. Others think I was a bully because I'm a fraternity member. While others think that I'm a pothead because I write poems and songs and I play in a band.

Yes I compile/install from source in Linux and have spinned my own distro but I still refuse to be pigeon holed as a nerd/geek.  I can block shots both in street basketball (at least when I was a teenager) and in console/PC. I can street fight both in real and virtual world. Get wasted with gin and beer but can solve complex Calculus while suffering hangover.

So there, I'm neither a nerd nor a jock. Maybe it stemmed from my refusal to get identified with one group. Because I always find something not to like with a group that shares my interests. I don't like Linux zealots. Rabid <insert genre here> fan that hates anything but his stuff. Intellectuals who think they are above the others. Math heads who think everyone is an idiot.

So yeah, I'm just a regular guy with many interests Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: