Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultrasabers question  (Read 5582 times)
Holt
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -24

« on: December 27, 2011, 04:44:52 PM »

Hello all! My name is Holt and I am new to the forum. I have been lurking a long time and I finally decided to register and buy a saber at the same time.

Now, my question is and sorry if this has been covered before ( I did search).....

How long can a ultrasaber last? Not the blade cuz I have been reading up on that, no, I am thinking the LED light, the sound, etc.

I only intend to have mine on display and take it down from time to time to show it off to my friends and the curious ones. Just turn it on, listen to the sound. etc, etc. I am not plan on doing heavy dueling with it at all... Just for show....

anyways........

Thanks for having me and I am looking forward to get the forum. Smiley

Kind regards
-Holt
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:48:12 PM by Holt » Logged

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:03:02 PM »

LEDs have a VERY long life-span - on average 50,000 hours. If you're only using it intermittently, and not dueling...  well, they ought to last a good long while.

Welcome to the forums!

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

GdFuzz
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 05:08:31 PM »

Under the conditions you have mentioned, your saber should last a very long time...  Under normal usage leds have a insanely long life span...  Im talking like 75,000 hours....  LOL....  I would think batteries would be the most replaced part of your saber...     Good luck, and I hope you enjoy this hobby.   Cheesy

***Edit***  I was beat to the post, but the info is still good....   Wink

Holt
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »

Thanks guys and thanks for the welcome, ( and sorry for the typos in the 1 post)

75,000 hours is CRAZY. I guess I should not have to worry then,  Tongue

how about the sounboard? any ideas?

and yes, I enjoy the star wars hobby and have for a long time. I have 2 MR anakin sabers which I enjoy, so I look very much forward comparing them to the MR's.

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »

Oh, there's NO comparison between US and MR.  US will blow them away.  Much brighter, and louder.

As to how long the soundboard lasts...  that's a question for US staff.  Their board, after all.  I would assume that it will depend on how you treat it, of course - with mild use such as you describe, ought to last a pretty long time.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »

Welcome to the forum and I hope you get a good first Ultra Saber. Even if you do mild dueling the soundboard would last and not break on you. The soundboard is protected in black stuff, I forget the name, so you wouldn't have any worries of breaking the board. I have 2 Ultra Sabers, one from 2010 and one from this year, and both still work brand new. I have a Liberator in Consular Green and Dominix V2 LE in Blazing Red with Mid Grade blades. I'll post pics for you if you want so you get an idea of the blades and the brightness. Let us know which saber you get. =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Holt
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 05:52:27 PM »

Thanks, one question more about the sounboard. is it louder then the MR?

I have been thinking of sending in the one anakin MR for them to convert it to an US.

will they change the sounboard and all the plastic parts on the MR? I really hate plastic parts. thats the one thing I think is really lame on the MR. feels so cheap in a way.... Tongue

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 06:04:27 PM »

They are MUCH louder.  So much better sounding, depending on hilt/pommel combo.  I have the Dark War Glaive, and because of the pommel length, the pommel is mostly hollow, so I have an excellent echo/resonance chamber.  I imagine exact volume will differ from hilt to hilt, but they all should outshine the MR boards.

Looking at the Mail-In Conversions tab, I don't think that they upgrade the board to an Obsidian soundboard - but you could always email in and ask if they can.

Here's a pic comparing my US on the left to my MR Vader from ESB on the right.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 06:05:43 PM »

The Obsidian board is quite a bit louder than the MR, although if you send your Anakin in for a conversion they will not (at this time) offer to change out the soundboard.  You might be able to contact them to see if they would do this as custom work though.

Assuming you're new at this hobby, I'll break down the two saber types to you:

MR and Hasbro Force FX sabers - use an LED string encased in the blade and have screen-accurate hilts (they're licensed replicas)
Ultrasabers - uses a single bright LED in the hilt

The advantages of the single LED setup that US offers is durability (you don't have to worry about breaking LEDs in the blade when you duel) and brightness (they are MUCH brighter than the Force FX sabers).  The advantages of the Force FX setup is the scrolling effect upon ignition and a more evenly lit blade.  Personally I like dueling and choreography, so Ultrasabers is a great fit for me.  Since you want to display yours it may be a different story, but I would say you should still look into getting an Ultrasaber with Obsidian sound.  There's really nothing else like it!

Holt
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:19:12 AM »

Hey,

thanks for the compare between the two. that is just a crazy difference between them. It makes the MR look like a toy from kids'r'us.lol.

My first saber from them is the initiate V3, blazing Red, obsidian sound, Mid grade. I ordered the mid grade since I read up on that UE can make the red look alittle dull and the MG will give a deeper effect, which I am after.

I am going to do custom work on the saber, make it look battle used and give my own sith touch on it. can't wait to get it! I allready have plans fro my next.

btw, I ordered the 32'' standard but I think I should have gotten the 36''. I am 6'2... I jsut dont hope they send me the 24'' yikes!

Holt
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »

The Obsidian board is quite a bit louder than the MR, although if you send your Anakin in for a conversion they will not (at this time) offer to change out the soundboard.  You might be able to contact them to see if they would do this as custom work though.

Assuming you're new at this hobby, I'll break down the two saber types to you:

MR and Hasbro Force FX sabers - use an LED string encased in the blade and have screen-accurate hilts (they're licensed replicas)
Ultrasabers - uses a single bright LED in the hilt

The advantages of the single LED setup that US offers is durability (you don't have to worry about breaking LEDs in the blade when you duel) and brightness (they are MUCH brighter than the Force FX sabers).  The advantages of the Force FX setup is the scrolling effect upon ignition and a more evenly lit blade.  Personally I like dueling and choreography, so Ultrasabers is a great fit for me.  Since you want to display yours it may be a different story, but I would say you should still look into getting an Ultrasaber with Obsidian sound.  There's really nothing else like it!

Thanks for that, Yes, I have been searching alot and have read this quiet a few times and I must say that even though there is a singel LED it doesnt matter to me. yes, it shoots up instantly but to me when I look at many scenes in the ep2 and 3 they shoot up pretty fast same for the old republic intros etc. when I look at the older movies, like when Obi meets Vader it goes up pretty slow, which is alittle too slow for my taste. So the instant lighting is a good thing. But then again, when you take away the sound it becomes pretty lame and flashlight like, so again, like with almost everything, sound plays a HUGE role with these sabers and gives us an ''illusion'' of a little bit slower ignition then if it was without sound. no?

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »

Hey,

thanks for the compare between the two. that is just a crazy difference between them. It makes the MR look like a toy from kids'r'us.lol.

My first saber from them is the initiate V3, blazing Red, obsidian sound, Mid grade. I ordered the mid grade since I read up on that UE can make the red look alittle dull and the MG will give a deeper effect, which I am after.

I am going to do custom work on the saber, make it look battle used and give my own sith touch on it. can't wait to get it! I allready have plans fro my next.

btw, I ordered the 32'' standard but I think I should have gotten the 36''. I am 6'2... I jsut dont hope they send me the 24'' yikes!

You'll be ok with the 32" blade.  I'm also 6'2" and I like them, though I do typically use the 36" as my default.  The 32" blades give a nice option for a light and quick one handed weapon, which is perfect for the Initiate hilts.  I would really like to get an Initiate with a 32" blade in fact, maybe I'll go for it sometime soon...

Cunda
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »

i only use 32'' just dont wana hit the floor and i can be fast swinging and throwing
and not clumsy and yeah i agree with you makes a great one handed saber Smiley

GET TO DA CHOPPAh!!!

Holt
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 10:22:41 AM »

Thanks for the replies gentelemen, very much appreciated.

I can't wait to get the saber.

will show it of as soon as I am finished with it.

Holt
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 12:56:59 AM »

So, guys,

the noob that I am has another question...

I think my saber is just around the corner and soon ready to pick up. I was REALLY looking forward to it and still am but after reading the board in the meanwhile I found out that I SHOULD have gotten the Li-on battery set installed like I had planned to do but I did not and I am now worreid the sound will be not as loud or the blade being dimmer with normal store bought lithium batteries. damn! life lesson learned I guess....

so, to you experts...

if I buy a few Li-on batteries with a charger from the US site will this be just as good as it would have been with it installed in the hilt?same effect?  only difference is that I need to take them out and charge them once in a while?

Thanks for reading.

-H
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:03:06 AM by Holt » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: