Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab Bag Standard Issue Review  (Read 2063 times)
originalnickb
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 6

« on: May 05, 2012, 08:46:55 AM »

Hey everyone. So this is my first post so I thought it would be appropriate for it to be a review of my first saber. My first saber I decided to go with the grab bag since I honestly cant pass up a mystery and I have a need to customize things. I received, less than a week later, my Standard Issue Blue Anodized Hilt with Fire Orange blade. I paid extra for the blade and also to pick the color since i was reeeealy wanting the FO. So begins my review!

HILT- 9/10

I will start off by saying this hilt it AWESOME. Although I am a guy who like my hilts to be in more of a silver variety, the quality in making this piece is great. The anodizing itself is really well done, it is colored on the inside as well. I am not so much a fan of the colored sabers (sorry guys) so I did end up taking a dremel and sandpaper to the hilt (I really felt bad about it) and I can tell you the anodizing is VERY well done. I received the version with vertical lines also so I think it adds a lot of detail to the hilt.

The length of the hilt is comfortable for one handed style but also long enough to pull off a two handed style (like me). The only 2 things I don't like about the hilt are the color (which i sanded off) and how smooth it was. And by that I mean that the hilt was one flush piece with lines carved out. This does work out well for me since I love attaching greeblies to my hilt and it will also work well with others who like adding wraps. I had initially planned on putting a wrap on my first saber until I saw the great looking vertical grooves in the hilt. Then I decided to switch up my plans so I didn't cover them up.

I had inititially thought that the button pertruded too far out of the hilt to be comfortable, since I have added some greeblies and my grip tape it fits quite well with the rest. I will say though if I were to keep the hilt as it came, I would like the button to fit in a bit smoother with the hilt.

BLADE- 8/10

Ok so I am combining the brightness of the blade and the blade review itself into this one section. Right off the bat I knew this blade was well constructed. I went with the Heavy Grade NON ultra-edge. I had heard from others on this forum that the Fire Orange looked better with the standard rather than ultra-edge style. The blade I received was very thick and sturdy looking and although I haven't quite bashed it too had yet, I believe this blade will stand up against anything you can do to it. Honestly anything short of taking a hacksaw to it wont affect this blade in my opinion. It seems that strong.

The color of the blade is very nice. Before I even heard of Ultrasabers I knew I wanted a Yellow-Orange type pf blade and it just so happened that they carried that exact color! I am in love with the color of this blade. Although it is not quite a standard color in the Star Wars universe it is a very well thought-out color.

The brightness of the blade is the only reason I am giving this an 8/10. Although in the right light the blade shine wonderfully, in any kind of sunlight the blade is sort of lackluster. Since I really don't have any other colors to compare to I can't make a completely honest judgement on it. The brightness issue might be solved with a switch to the Ultraedge blades but at this time I don't have any to check. I believe my next purchase will be either with the Guardian Blue or Violet Amethyst so I will go with the Ultraedge blades on that and I will have a more comparative opinion of the brightness. That being said, without the blade the saber make a HELL of a a good flashlight. DO NOT SHINE YOURSELF IN THE EYES, as I found out the hard way lol. The LED itself is very bright.

I will say that since I asked for the heavy grade blade I received the 36" blade. Now for a lot of people this would be perfect but for me it is a tad too long. even for the roughly 12" hilt. I prefer my blades to be a bit shorter and since I didn't know you could specifically request the blade to be cut shorter, I will be attempting to cut a few inches off my blade.

Overall I am extremely pleased with what I received. I think the Grab Bag is great for someone like myself who NEEDS to customize his hilts and a great deal for the price. I have owned this saber for roughly a week now and have done numerous modifications to it so I plan on posting my updates to the customizations page.

So to recap. ordered Grab Bag, received Standard Issue Blue Anodized, love it, great for customs! Now for a couple pics (since it was a basic hilt, I will only show a couple of pics of how I received it) and since I forgot to take pics of the blade color before I took the sandpaper to it that I can show in my customization post... ok at this point I realized pictures or kind of complicated to add so I will just add IMGUR links to the couple of pics I took (sorry to people like myself who are too lazy to click on things)

http://i.imgur.com/6eGxY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FMBGN.jpg

DarthRavik
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -16

Sabers: Prophecy Consular Green

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:10:16 AM »

Nice detailed review, don't be to disappointed about the color, my sabers wash out in sunlight as well, but come night-time, totally awesome haha Smiley

I have only the Dark Side, It is my companion, my passion and my power, it is my life.

Faa-Yal Dragu
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Jedi knight, wandcrafter, heathen

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »

very nice! welcome to the forum, point for you!

The jedi only use their powers to defend and protect,
although (waves hand) You will give me lightside points.

originalnickb
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »

I agree. I did forget to mention also that the color in darker lights is very smooth throughout the blade.

Takanuva588
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 05:06:43 AM »

cool saber, i just got the red version without the vertical grooves like 2 weeks ago. its a pretty good saber although i dont like how the blade tilts slightly when the blade retention screw it tightened.

_)_)_)_)<(_o_<))__))

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: