Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Has anyone here caught this mistake in A New Hope?  (Read 11967 times)
srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 02:58:21 PM »

I wish they never re released them with the "new material" I o lay saw them before once or twice, and I have to say the new material adds nothing to them, I always just skip the alien  musical part in jabbas palace in E VI. And the part with Jabba in E IV just doesn't seem right at all. I can't seem to recall what they added to E V.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »

Hobbit, you could pick up the theatrical cuts on DVD as a double set with the re-releases - I have mine on my shelf next to my Blu-Rays... and my original DVD releases of the prequels, and the original trilogy.

I had a quick look on Amazon and the DVDs aren't great value, but I'd imagine you can get them used.

While I agree that the musical piece in Jedi adds nothing, and rather breaks up the flow of the film, I really have no special problems with the other changes. I grew up on the originals and prefer the updated versions - they look cleaner, crisper and so on. Changes like the enhancements to Cloud City make the world seem more real. I would have preferred if more time had been spent on making the 'sabre blades in IV consistently blue and red, rather than white and pink, but hey - something for the next re-release.

Han shooting first has been discussed to death, so I won't go into that, but overall I think the films are improved by the changes - and a lot of the hate generated by them, in my experience, is just Internet fanboys exaggerating the impact of changes that would go unnoticed if Star Wars didn't have such an obsessive fanbase (of which I count myself a part, of course!)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:43:59 PM by James Casey » Logged

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »

^I looked it up. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Original_unaltered_trilogy_(DVD)

To be honest, if that's all I can get, I might settle for it.

I'm not going to rant anymore about the OT though. One post is more than enough.

Akos_Amun
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

I am the Hidden One, the White Falcon

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 03:16:21 AM »

I hate the fact that people keep saying that Han shot first, when you go frame by frame, you can see that Greedo shoots first--misses entirely!!--and then Han shoots with ease right at Greedo's face.

Han is a great smuggler, but he never shot first. That's like saying Chuck Norris could force choke a storm trooper from seven planets and not lift a finger (made up on the spot).

You're talking about the newer version though. In the original theatrical release, Han doesn't do a weird head bob thing and Greedo is simply threatening Han. Why go to all the trouble of showing close up shots of Han unholstering his weapon under the table if he's not going to try to surprise Greedo.

Also, how could Greedo POSSIBLY miss a stationary Han at less than three feet away? He would have to be completely inept.

I think that Han, at the beginning of the story, was a experience hardened criminal looking out for his own skin. He smuggles things for a living, he's going to shoot first to get away with his life. He's a reluctant hero who has suppressed his interest in doing the right thing in favor of doing the profitable thing. But the adventure pulls his goodness back to the surface. For a while doing the right thing was simply in line with saving his own hide and making a quick buck, but later you see him come back all on his own and do the right things in spite of his smuggler tendencies. It hints that he is recovering the man he once was.

[‾๐‾‾]▦[ooo]▦ị[]ị /RGB Prophecy CE
[))___(___o)_|:)):]GB Liberator V2
((__((>_o_)>(_(_(_(_|_)_)_)_)<(_o_<))__))BR Phantom LE V3
[=[[[[[[[_(_o_( (o(( (\∟[PO][VA][DVA][SRD][SY] Bellicose*
[_(_(_(_(_[_o_]((([__]GB Aeon LE
( ]>|:|:|<( o )|]:[||GB Monarch CE*
*sound
http://chancesofrain.blogspot.c

kewlkev360
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 232

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 03:32:12 AM »