Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
Author Topic: Why do you like Star Wars so much?  (Read 48617 times)
Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« on: March 19, 2016, 01:27:06 AM »

I created this thread so everyone, and anyone can tell others how they came to US.  

Just as the population of this forum is very diverse, so must be all of the reasons why Star Wars has remained a major part of any given person’s life.

I saw “A New Hope” in theatre when I was six years old, (I was part of the initial “target audience”) and was instantly hooked.

My youth, like just about everyone else’s at the time, was filled with images of lightsabers and x-wings.
During my mid years I was a bit too busy getting a career, family, house, and car, to consider it to be more than just “a movie”, but it was always "the best movie ever".

One day that all stopped, and I found myself with pretty much nothing but free time, and after numerous hours, I found SWTOR.  I've spent countless hours playing that for the past two years.  
The thirst for more drove me to eventually find this amazing site, and inside were all of you awesome people.

I can’t imagine ever not having this now.

I’d be very interested to read anybody else’s reason for ending up here.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:43:56 AM by Lord Rapine » Logged

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Layana
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -354

Dark side points please ^^

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 01:40:08 AM »

I saw the original trilogy as a child with my parents at home in free tv; I did find them cool but not cool enough to be a fan. Other things like "LOTR" hooked me up more than SciFi and the like. I playe "Rogue Squadron" on Nintendo 64 with my brother and liked it very much, but that's it.

Nevertheless I have gone to cinemas when the prequels came out, saw every one of them in the cinema and wasn't quite fond of them, although I loved Pod-Racing.

After many years, I was hooked up again after seing Star Wars 7 in cinemas. I was there with my best friend and his mates, total fanboys and nerds, with the idea of "Yeah, maybe I can watch it, we'll see" - ending as a total fan girl, rewatched it three times with my bff, my mother and again with my husband. Because Rey and Kylo Ren and "new" old Leia totally kicked ass. I bought the visual dictionary, read through the script and then I just could not pass the US sabers. There I am, already ordered 1 stunt, 2 single handed with sound, 2 single handed with sound Emerald and 1 crossguard with sound Emerald Grin

The Star Wars bug bit me hard, because of SW7. SW7 was everything I wanted to have: diversity, a female kick ass heroine, a hot dark brooding villain and the old Star Wars feeling again.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:44:01 AM by Layana » Logged

Owned:
Spectre (Diamond)
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (Diamond)
Dark Sentinel V4 (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Manticore (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Flamberge V2, Adegan Silver sideblades (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Dark Prophecy, Blazing Red (Obsidian V4)
Prophecy, Guardian Blue (Obsidian V4)
Dark Sentinel V4, Sun Rider's Destiny (Obsidian V5)
Dark Apprentice v4, Guardian Blue (Stunt)

Sold:
Dark Shock (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Dominix LE V3, TRI Consular Green (Obsidian V4)
Dominix LE V3, Adegan Silver (Stunt)
Aeon LE V4, Consular Green (Stunt)

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 01:55:24 AM »

I fell in love with Star Wars because of the vast universe it presented. Anyone could be anything, the possibilities were nearly limitless.

As for finding US, in 2007, during my senior year of high school, my friend and I were in Art class surfing the net for lightsabers after failing spectacularly at making our own with plumbing supplies.  Cheesy

While "The Other Guys" made beautiful looking hilts and sabers with more functionality that Ultra Sabers had at the time, they were ultimately WAY too expensive.

It was only after seeing several videos online in which the durability of Ultra Saber's hilts were tested that I was convinced US was the company for me.

Unfortunately, graduation happened and real life became my priority, so I didn't wind up purchasing a saber until three years later and missed out on their classic hilts; specifically the Wraith V2, which I had my heart set on getting: http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/phophjoph15/media/Wraithv2.jpg.html

In December of 2010 I purchased my very first Ultra Saber, a Liberator V2 in Fire Orange. I had never had anything like it, the level of personalization made it mine alone. My collection now pushing 20 sabers I could have made better decision.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:02:26 AM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 02:11:07 AM »

I was around 6 when I first saw TPM, and that's when the flame was lit. AoTC was the one that really cemented my fandom, and I couldn't get enough of the SW universe after that. Then came the 2003 Clone Wars series and RoTS, and those are what really made me spend 4+ hours a day on Wookiepedia  Cheesy. The gaps inbetween the releases of the films lulled my fandom though, and I've kind of had a love/hate relationship with SW for the past couple of years. With the release of TFA though (Rey!), I'm back to loving it again.

As for getting into sabers, I've really been wanting one of the other guy's models since 2012. Alas, it was too expensive, and I've spent the time since then lurking their site and others (like US), but never buying anything. Then of course TFA came and I finally pulled the trigger and got one.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 02:28:27 AM »

I did not grow up with Star Wars.  I was born in 83' so by the time I was old enough to develop interests Star Wars was not a "hot" item so to speak (meaning it wasn't bombarding me on tv).  Growing up I knew about Star Wars but never saw it.  Until TPM came out when I was 16.  While looking back on it the film was of course not as good as the OT, but it lit the fire.  I began absorbing EVERYTHING Star Wars.  Between the release of Episode I and Episode II I became damn near an expert in Star Wars.  Even landed me my first girlfriend.  But here is the rub.  I am not that into Sci-Fi.  Sure I appreciate it and do like it, but it isn't something I am really into.  I prefer Fantasy.. I read Lord of the Rings when I was 10 to make the point Tongue.    I would not be as into Star Wars if it wasn't for the mystical side of it represented by the Force and its Users.  As well I am a Sword Enthusiast.  I have loved swords since the first time I heard "By the Power of Greyskull!"   So, the Lightsaber was the biggest draw of all.  The Ultimate Sword.  I found Ultrasabers from a fan film I saw sometime ago.  By this time I can not remember for the life of me what the film was called... but I asked the creator how he made the hilts and he pointed me to US.  It was a few years but I made my first purchase.  The Overlord in Guardian Blue.  Sadly I only had it for a month before life reared it's ugly head and I was forced to sell it and other things.  But that was 5 years ago and here I am with 4 Ultrasabers and desperately wanting the 5th to be the Flamberge.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

MalevolentMelaina
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -120

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 01:20:40 PM »

I watched the original three movies as a child; I was born in 1981 so I was too young to be a part of the big hype but my dad always loved those movies and watched them frequently.  I never fell in love with them as a kid, I was too busy trying to figure out ways to make the New Kids On The Block notice me (because of course they'd fall madly in love with me as soon as they did), but I did always like them more than "well enough."

When the prequels came out I had no interest in watching them.  I thought they looked silly and I didn't need to know the backstory because the originals were awesome movies but my boyfriend has the set and encouraged me to watch them.  I've now seen the prequels a few times and still don't love them but I like them a lot better now that I've paid attention and listened to the story. 

I'll be honest, when I was invited to watch this latest movie I said yes but really I couldn't care less about it... until I actually watched it.  I want to go back - I would have gone back the same day if I could!  I love this new movie.  I like that Star Wars allows you to draw parallels to real life but also affords you the opportunity to suspend reality and be immersed in these new worlds. 

My excitement for Star Wars started building when my boyfriend got his first saber and the quality is awesome - I think it is so cool (a Manticore) - and I started getting more excited.  Then I decided to dress up with him and be a Star Wars character and go to cons, so of course I needed a saber too.  I've ordered one and am patiently waiting for it to arrive.  As I've found pieces to my costume I've decided to become a Sith Inquisitor (sorceress) and ended up ordering a second, identical, saber to create a staff and now my love for this whole universe is growing by the day.  All the research, questions, and now this forum and its wealth of information is fueling my fire!

Saber: Dominix V4 LE (Staff) VA

Layana
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -354

Dark side points please ^^

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »

I watched the original three movies as a child; I was born in 1981 so I was too young to be a part of the big hype but my dad always loved those movies and watched them frequently.  I never fell in love with them as a kid, I was too busy trying to figure out ways to make the New Kids On The Block notice me (because of course they'd fall madly in love with me as soon as they did), but I did always like them more than "well enough."

When the prequels came out I had no interest in watching them.  I thought they looked silly and I didn't need to know the backstory because the originals were awesome movies but my boyfriend has the set and encouraged me to watch them.  I've now seen the prequels a few times and still don't love them but I like them a lot better now that I've paid attention and listened to the story. 

I'll be honest, when I was invited to watch this latest movie I said yes but really I couldn't care less about it... until I actually watched it.  I want to go back - I would have gone back the same day if I could!  I love this new movie.  I like that Star Wars allows you to draw parallels to real life but also affords you the opportunity to suspend reality and be immersed in these new worlds. 

My excitement for Star Wars started building when my boyfriend got his first saber and the quality is awesome - I think it is so cool (a Manticore) - and I started getting more excited.  Then I decided to dress up with him and be a Star Wars character and go to cons, so of course I needed a saber too.  I've ordered one and am patiently waiting for it to arrive.  As I've found pieces to my costume I've decided to become a Sith Inquisitor (sorceress) and ended up ordering a second, identical, saber to create a staff and now my love for this whole universe is growing by the day.  All the research, questions, and now this forum and its wealth of information is fueling my fire!

'85 here, but more or less the same story, just that I was the first in my relationship to fuel the Star Wars fire, so my husband now gets a saber for himself because of me Cheesy

Owned:
Spectre (Diamond)
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (Diamond)
Dark Sentinel V4 (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Manticore (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Flamberge V2, Adegan Silver sideblades (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Dark Prophecy, Blazing Red (Obsidian V4)
Prophecy, Guardian Blue (Obsidian V4)
Dark Sentinel V4, Sun Rider's Destiny (Obsidian V5)
Dark Apprentice v4, Guardian Blue (Stunt)

Sold:
Dark Shock (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Dominix LE V3, TRI Consular Green (Obsidian V4)
Dominix LE V3, Adegan Silver (Stunt)
Aeon LE V4, Consular Green (Stunt)

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 01:33:30 PM »

I am a child of 1977.  Star Wars has been part of my life for my whole life.  They say you can't mark the baby.  They are wrong.

My parents saw it in a drive in theater because they has spend the summer preparing the house for me.  I was born two days after they saw the move...about two weeks earlier than expected.

There are certain parts of the movie I can feel more than just hear.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »

I am a child of 1977.  Star Wars has been part of my life for my whole life.  They say you can't mark the baby.  They are wrong.

My parents saw it in a drive in theater because they has spend the summer preparing the house for me.  I was born two days after they saw the move...about two weeks earlier than expected.

There are certain parts of the movie I can feel more than just hear.
Nice ithekro. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

ZenVII
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -20

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 04:59:38 PM »

I was raised into it. Being the youngest of two sisters, 27-30 and an older brother 35, I was practically raised on it. I am 22 right now.

My brother had so many star wars micromachines and very well built models (that I incidentally destroyed after years of playing with them). Besides that my best friends growing up loved it, so it was all Hasbro lightsabers and star wars themed B day parties.

I saw Episode I, II and III in theaters, opening night. I even missed school to see AOTC.

I guess I've been spoiled lol. We were the second group in line opening day for VII. I ordered my first saber right around then.

For me, after growing up and understanding more than just lasers in space. I became fascinated with the concept of The Force.

Now I am adding a VA saber to my collection.

STAR WARS $%&#$@@&%& RULES!!!!!

Darth Ixion

"The Force existed long before the Jedi and the Sith divided it into light and dark. It will be here long after these empires crumble."

Dominix V4 LE Stunt - Blazing Red
Dark Initiate V4 Obsidian- Dark Violet Amethyst
Dark Initiat V3 Stunt- Guardian Blue

Affable_Knight
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 10:12:08 PM »

For me, it is a blissful escape.  The stress and drama of life leads me to not want to watch the same stress and drama on TV or in the movies.  But Star Wars takes me to a place so far from reality that I don't want to come back.  That and the cool lightsabers . . . .

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 12:41:36 AM »

I like the story best. This is something that a lot of other sci-fi movies don't make it as near as good with their complicated twists and convoluted plots. And the whole SW industry around it is awesome - sabers being one of them!  Grin

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 03:41:40 AM »

I was a casual fan before The Force Awakens--but truthfully, too overwhelmed with the size of the EU to consider getting into Star Wars that seriously.

And then TFA happened and I was HOOKED.  Now the fandom is truly approachable for me (not to say I don't appreciate some Legends stuff once in a while, but it's no longer obligatory), and as you know, I ended up getting really drawn in by the story.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »

Well, it all started a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg time ago. My dad had bootlegs of ANH and ESB recorded off of HBO. And my first theatre experience was ROTJ at the age of 2. I honestly cannot remember life before SW. Cognitive memory hadn't developed yet. Grin

As I got older the sheer scale of the engineering just blew my mind. It is probably one of the single greatest contributors of my fascination with engineering, and why I became one.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »

I honestly cannot remember life before SW. Cognitive memory hadn't developed yet. Grin
That's excellent.  Envious. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: