Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 10 Trends that are Destroying Modern Movies  (Read 2363 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: March 05, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_9LVCCMdIo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Error 404 (Not Found)!!1</a>

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 12:07:40 AM »

Yeah, they're pretty spot-on with that list. I like how people complain that the studios don't release anything original, yet the top 13 domestic grossing films of 2018 were sequels, reboots or extensions of existing franchises:

Why gamble on original properties when stuff based on existing franchises and sequels and remakes bring in the money?

Of the things they mentioned, I think the product placement is the least worrisome for me. Is it overdone at times? It sure is. Though, mentioning things like that stadium in X-Men: Days of Future Past was kind of weird, when that's how stadiums are in real life. Watch a sporting event, doesn't matter which one, and just look around the perimeter of the field of play. All you'll see are company logos and whatnot of the sponsors. The sportscasters themselves will take a minute or two to mention sponsors. We're surrounded by advertising every day. In a little while, I'm going to get on a bus to go to work, and event that has adverts. They're on the top sides, above the rails that run the length of the bus, and they play some over the speaker system periodically. (thank goodness for earbuds) Now, a couple of those examples he showed like that Adam Sandler thing were definitely over the top, but most of them were just par for the course.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2790

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:15:08 AM »

The whole Shanghai thing makes sense since the Chinese market does contribute to box office global success especially over the last decade or so but I understand the point, China is treated like the new New York City, LA, or Chicago film sets leaving the audience wondering if any other cities exist.

People complaining about sequels, reboots or spins offs but still go and watch them is quite comical. Now, I do have my own grumblings about remakes but that's due to the possibility of the remake ruining the original. I'll still watch it since I'm a fan anyhow.

I love sequels and if the movies are good enough, make it a trilogy if possible since if a movie is great, I love to revisit the universe with another installment but that's just me

I just pulled the top grossing movies for 2019 so far and there are lots of "remakes" and sequels or third installments

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 06:39:21 AM »

The thing is though, thanks to Netflix, there are a lot of movies that now have an outlet to find an audience and they won't be judged on their box office. I'm talking about movies with budgets of less than $40 million. Unless it's an Oscar bait movie, small original movies like these will struggle at the box office as a result of the dominance of big budget spectacle movies (whether they be sequels or not).

I think, if handled correctly, this can be a good thing. Cinema releases are judged on quality as well as box office success. But there are literally hundreds of movies that are now considered classics that flopped at the box office. However, they went on to be considered groundbreaking or important in terms of contribution to cinema.

The industry is at the beginning of a major evolution and change. It will be interesting to see how it adapts.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 06:43:40 AM »

Agreed. With streaming that has pretty much taken over for the last decade, how movies are judged has changed.  Movies used to be judged by box office success and then hard copy sales.  Nowadays, they can be purchased and streamed online not to mention that the likes of Netflix and Hulu have their own original movies that are great and successful as Knox has mentioned.  The way movies are being viewed (TV shows), are beginning to change since the likes of HBO, Disney and more companies are beginning to develop their own streaming service

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 02:34:34 PM »

The industry is at the beginning of a major evolution and change. It will be interesting to see how it adapts.

Don't tell Steven Spielberg that. Tongue

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 07:58:24 AM »

Don't tell Steven Spielberg that. Tongue
He already knows. But, as with the music industry, some people don't like change. The current state of the music industry is a direct result of their refusal to accept new means of obtaining music for years. By the time they eventually acquiesced, the damage had been done. I don't think movies will ever end up like that, but it's still a warning to be heeded.

Going to the cinemas (for many people) is still an event, something they do a few times a year as a treat. All that will happen is the big budget blockbusters will stay on the big screen and smaller tiered movies will stream somewhere.

The main problem facing movies is not streaming, but gaming and tv. There is so much great content on tv now and so many great games being released that people do not have enough time to do everything, to see everything or even binge everything.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 08:18:54 AM »

The current state of the music industry is a direct result of their refusal to accept new means of obtaining music for years. By the time they eventually acquiesced, the damage had been done. I don't think movies will ever end up like that, but it's still a warning to be heeded.

Agreed. Take MP3 formats for example. It's actually not the best audio format. In fact, it reduces the accuracy of certain components of sound that are considered (not sure by who) "beyond the hearing of human capabilities" of most humans. The remaining audio data is then recorded in a space-efficient manner which results in a reduction of 75% to 95% in size of the audio file.  Lossless audio or FLAC, ALAC, and WMA Lossless are the best in sound quality but the files are rather large since they have a really high degree of digital compression and are decompressed back to their original data amount.  MP3s are widely used since their files are smaller and most people won't even notice the difference unless they have studio equipment or higher end sound equipment or player. B

Going to the cinemas (for many people) is still an event, something they do a few times a year as a treat. All that will happen is the big-budget blockbusters will stay on the big screen and smaller tiered movies will stream somewhere.

The main problem facing movies is not streaming, but gaming and tv. There is so much great content on tv now and so many great games being released that people do not have enough time to do everything, to see everything or even binge everything.

This is the same for cinemas and the future of movies.  When Netflix came out, the CEO of Blockbuster said that Netflix won't last a few years.  They tried to rival Netflix back in 2007 when Netflix's momentum was already there and he ended up eating his words since Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy in September of 2010

It's one of those things in every industry that you have to adapt.  New changes and new ways don't necessarily mean bad. Innovative ideas are sought out daily for improvement, better quality and standards which will move onto the customer or audience. 

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 04:21:38 PM »

Agreed. Take MP3 formats for example. It's actually not the best audio format.
Vinyl sounds better.  Cool

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 10:19:36 AM »

Vinyl sounds better.  Cool

Agreed. Way better

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »

Fortunately, thanks to DJ culture vinyl has never gone away. Sales dropped from the heyday, but have stayed at a steady level for years.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 10:33:27 AM »

Vinyl are so expensive, I've since moved onto MIDI controllers which makes traveling, setting up and breaking down for events rather easy nowadays. 

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 11:08:06 PM »

The biggest problem is trying to play vinyl on my phone. It just doesn't work. Tongue

We actually have some vinyl at Walmart, it's on an "in" trend right now. I've thought of buying one of the players and some albums, but my issue, as always, is space. Even a small vinyl player takes up a lot of space, due to the size of the LPs. But, it would still be nice to have. We've also got a selection of LPs, some are re-issues from back in the day, and some are more modern.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 12:35:20 AM »

The biggest problem is trying to play vinyl on my phone. It just doesn't work. Tongue

Hey, at least you tried it. Lol.

We actually have some vinyl at Walmart, it's on an "in" trend right now. I've thought of buying one of the players and some albums, but my issue, as always, is space. Even a small vinyl player takes up a lot of space, due to the size of the LPs. But, it would still be nice to have. We've also got a selection of LPs, some are re-issues from back in the day, and some are more modern.

I did not know that, SFD!  I'll need to check them out the next time I visit Walmart.  Thanks for that info, +1

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 01:20:30 AM »

Yeah, we actually had one of the portable players set up around the holidays. For its size, it sounded good. I've been seriously considering one. We have some good albums too, like Guns & Roses, Def Leppard and whatnot. (meditation music)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: