Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Review of the Archon v2  (Read 5603 times)
Kannik
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 30

Lovin' Life

« on: October 15, 2011, 04:09:16 AM »

With great glee I am now an Ultrasaber owner!  Here’s my (hopefully only the first) review of what I got – the stunning Archon v2.

I had looked at Ultrasabers some months ago, marveling at all the different sabres and turning their beauty over in my mind’s eye.  At the time I chose the Shock LE as my preferred saber, if I were to get one.  Which at the time I didn’t, a move that turned out to be somewhat fortuitous for when a friend recently told me he was buying a sabre and I should get one to duel with him I discovered the newly released Archon v2.

And I couldn’t be happier with it.  The Archon v2 is a gorgeous sabre:  elegant, classic and svelte.  It looks marvelous both in display as well as in hand.  The black at the pommel, the grip and the neck highlight the detail and give the sabre a greater feeling of depth and of a real working tool.  I chose the standard raised button as more ‘greebles’ also make it seem more real and constructed.

The tooled neck and the flanged emitter are what really set this sabre apart, a nice homage without being a copy, giving the sabre a distinct look as well as its classic lines.

Best of all, this beauty also feels GREAT in the hands.  The neck of the sabre gives an excellent grip and control, while the shallow grooves near the base of the hilt and the pommel work surprisingly well to give the back hand a nice grip. 

When I use the sabre my hands naturally come to rest up near the emitter, with the first finger above the ridge on the neck, the second below that, and the rest on the grooved hilt.

This gives great control, and the handle feels very well balanced like this.  When I spin my fingers slip one notch down, and it twirls around beautifully.

Nicely, the hilt also feels great if you want a narrower grip, and the grooves just above the button allow for a very secure feel in the hand, and the button itself doesn’t get in the way. 

Held like this with the neck still visible the sabre looks great and menacing, and retains that classic movie feel.

Here’s a photo of the balance point with a mid-grade blade.  The heavy grades will pull the balance point a bit closer to the end of the emitter.

This is an excellent balance point for a lightsabre.  Without the need of heavy chopping power, and only some phantom mass/inertia with the blade pulling the balance point to just about the emitter it allows the weapon to be very nimble.  And it makes it easy for great spinning. 

I bought my Archon with a quick-disconnect and two colours:  Fire Orange and Arctic Blue.  I love them both.  The orange is a great colour, very distinct, and quite orange-the-fruit kind of orange.  It looks fabulous on camera.  The arctic blue is delicious, very reminiscent of the films and super bright. 

This new version of the Archon also sports MHS threads at both ends of the hilt, leaving customization options wide open, which in of itself is awesome.  I bought two extra emitters (Consular and War Glaive) and that’s just darn sweet to have the option.  (I’ve thrown photos up in the Gallery forum here – personally I think the Archon with the War Glaive head looks better than the standard War Glaive!). 

Lastly sound.  Listen (no pun intended), there’s no contest here , buy it with sound.  1000%.  There was a great quote about how visitors to the engine room set of Star Trek: Next Gen felt somehow that the experience fell flat compared to how they imagined it, simply because the sounds heard on the show were not there.  Without sounds it didn’t "feel" real.  Same is true here.  Without sounds your twirling around a stick.  With sounds the sabre gains mass, danger, presence and energy.  Even just the idle hum makes it have that much more oomph.  Spring for the sound, you will not be disappointed.

I give this sabre high marks all around.  The style is gorgeous.  The feel is excellent.  The electronics are solid.  The sound is exquisite and resonates well.  And Ultrasabres got me my shipment in 3 business days.  That’s just awesome.

My friend and I have dueled.  I got a nice bruise on my knuckle.  We scared the neighbours  (well, maybe not) with the clashes of our weapons.  We tested the strength of our blades (no damage).  We posed, postured, swing, struck, lunged, dodged, parried and pranced.  Many body parts lay littering the ground, many dual kills, many times one was maimed while the other killed. 

And all the while both of us are grinning like crazy, loving every single minute of it. 

Peace,

Kannik

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule."

Archon v2.1 w/ v3 head: Consular Green
Archon v2 w/ War Glaive head : Fire Orange
Archon v3 w/ Menace head & custom neck : Arctic Blue
Guardian:  Guardian Blue
Dark Prophecy V3: Arctic Blue
Sentinel LE v4 w/ extended handle:  Guardian Blue

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 04:13:20 AM »

BEASTLY saber, man! Would you mind posting some pictures of the saber on? I wanna see what color you chose!  Grin

Gaius
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Hello Jedi. How nice of you to drop in.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 04:17:28 AM »

Excellent review.  I think Archon v.2 is my next saber.

Raven, Blazing Red, SS Pommel, Obsidian- Sekarasu
Archon v.2- Guardian Blue, DVA or SRD- QD, Obsidian- Lior
Prophecy, violet amethyst - [Name To Be Determined]
Dark War Glaive, Pyrestone with silver FOC, Obsidian, Black Claws red A/V- Enfer

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 04:23:48 AM »

Great saber, and a very good review.  Glad you're enjoying it!  All these Archon V2 reviews are making me want one...

I agree with you about the sound, it really does make it.  I always tell people they should go for it - it seems like a steep price at first glance but MAN is it worth it!

Kannik
Knight Sergeant

Lovin' Life

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:15:34 AM »

BEASTLY saber, man! Would you mind posting some pictures of the saber on? I wanna see what color you chose!  ;D

Certainly!  Here is the Archon with the Arctic Blue:

On the left is with the mid-grade ultra edge blade, while on the right is the heavy grade blade (which I thought I had ordered in ultra edge but I think this one is a standard blade).  You can see near the top how the non-ultra blade does have a 'core' colour and then 'aura' of fainter colour around it, while the ultra edge is pure colour through and through.  Either way, the Arctic Blue is very nice!

And here it is with the War Glaive emitter and Fire Orange on the heavy grade:

This is taken from a vid someone filmed of me doing some strikes -- the colour in the middle of the blade probably best illustrates its colour in real life.  Maybe the saturation is a bit less to the naked eye, but not by much.  It's a great colour, and not one many would expect.

As an addendum to my review, I got the sabre with the a quick-change MLS unit (obviously! :P ), and let's say that the quick change isn't necessarily as quick as I might have anticipated simply because there's so much stuff packed into the hilt that fitting it all back in so that the MLS unit seats nicely takes a bit of work.  It probably will go faster as time goes on.  It's a great feature, I can customize to however I'm feeling that day!

I can foresee the Archon v2 fast becoming one of the most popular sabres offered here.  :)

peace,

Kannik

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:43:44 PM »

excellent review. it makes me really want an archon now. should i go with this or initiate v3??? why do they make such good looking sabers!!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2030

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »

@Tratus. I know right. xp I'm finally going with a Shock LE since they are back in stock on single colors again. Getting it in red though with Obsidian and blue button with li-ion batteries. Can't wait. Cheesy The thread when I get the new saber will be called "First Obsidian Saber" So watch out for it in a few weeks. Nice Archon V2 saber though. How does your mid-grade blade hold up in combat? Oh, I'm also getting a standard heavy grade blade as well. Going to be getting my bro his first ever Ultra Saber and it will also have Obsidian sound in it so we will probably be doing some duel videos in the nxt few months.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

darth tratus
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »

@Tratus. I know right. xp I'm finally going with a Shock LE since they are back in stock on single colors again. Getting it in red though with Obsidian and blue button with li-ion batteries. Can't wait. Cheesy The thread when I get the new saber will be called "First Obsidian Saber" So watch out for it in a few weeks. Nice Archon V2 saber though. How does your mid-grade blade hold up in combat? Oh, I'm also getting a standard heavy grade blade as well. Going to be getting my bro his first ever Ultra Saber and it will also have Obsidian sound in it so we will probably be doing some duel videos in the nxt few months.
ill keep my eyes open Wink sounds like a cool saber your getting!

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »

Nice saber and great review! I really liked the pics, gripping and balance point of a saber are really nice to know.

dark side points please

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »

Certainly!  Here is the Archon with the Arctic Blue:

On the left is with the mid-grade ultra edge blade, while on the right is the heavy grade blade (which I thought I had ordered in ultra edge but I think this one is a standard blade).  You can see near the top how the non-ultra blade does have a 'core' colour and then 'aura' of fainter colour around it, while the ultra edge is pure colour through and through.  Either way, the Arctic Blue is very nice!

And here it is with the War Glaive emitter and Fire Orange on the heavy grade:

This is taken from a vid someone filmed of me doing some strikes -- the colour in the middle of the blade probably best illustrates its colour in real life.  Maybe the saturation is a bit less to the naked eye, but not by much.  It's a great colour, and not one many would expect.

As an addendum to my review, I got the sabre with the a quick-change MLS unit (obviously! Tongue ), and let's say that the quick change isn't necessarily as quick as I might have anticipated simply because there's so much stuff packed into the hilt that fitting it all back in so that the MLS unit seats nicely takes a bit of work.  It probably will go faster as time goes on.  It's a great feature, I can customize to however I'm feeling that day!

I can foresee the Archon v2 fast becoming one of the most popular sabres offered here.  Smiley

peace,

Kanni!

Thanks!

Kannik
Knight Sergeant

Lovin' Life

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 10:51:42 PM »

excellent review. it makes me really want an archon now. should i go with this or initiate v3??? why do they make such good looking sabers!!

Personally I would go with the Archon, I find it has greater elegance and a real built look to it.  And the MHS heads means you can create many sabres by just buying different emitters.

It's like being at a great restaurant, where choosing is difficult becase it all looks so darn tasty!  ;)

Nice Archon V2 saber though. How does your mid-grade blade hold up in combat? Oh, I'm also getting a standard heavy grade blade as well.

I also bought a heavy grade blade and so have been using that to duel with and keep my mid-grade clean and pristine for beauty shots.  I'm sure it would be fine, but I figured why take the chance...

Nice saber and great review! I really liked the pics, gripping and balance point of a saber are really nice to know.

Thanks!  That was one thing I hadn't seen on many other reviews and how it fits and feels in the hands can make a great difference.  :)

Thanks!

Absolutely, you are most welcome.  Mmmm... colours...

peace,

Kannik

darth tratus
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:02:03 PM »

yeah i might get the archon. the only reason i was thinking about the initiate was so i could get it as a staff, one with sound and one without, that way i can have one and my brother can have one.

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:03:33 AM »

personally I think the Archon with the War Glaive head looks better than the standard War Glaive!). 

I do too.  To me it's the verticle lines on the war glaive.  On the Archon the silver extension with black claws that you went with "made" the saber!!!!!

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

Kannik
Knight Sergeant

Lovin' Life

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 06:42:59 AM »

yeah i might get the archon. the only reason i was thinking about the initiate was so i could get it as a staff, one with sound and one without, that way i can have one and my brother can have one.

Nicely, with the MHS pommel on the Archon if you wanted to you could buy any of the vented couplers and put the two together and have yourself your staff.  Smiley

I do too.  To me it's the verticle lines on the war glaive.  On the Archon the silver extension with black claws that you went with "made" the saber!!!!!

Thanks!  I think vertical lines can work on a sabre (witness the Prophecy hilts) but something about the way the War Glaive hilt is just off to me.   That it works out so great wtih the Archon is a super bonus. 

peace,

Kannik

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: