Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Initiate Momentary switch  (Read 2332 times)
Silvanus
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: April 27, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »

So I had an issue crop up with an initiate saber I have.  Some of the neighborhood kids were playing with it when one of them told me they could not turn it off.  I took it inside and saw this.

Sadly the saber was 1 day out of warranty, but after inspecting it I ordered another switch and was able to swap it out with success.  It works fine now.

My question is this, has anybody else ever had a problem with these switches?  This seemed to be a VERY odd break and I am just wondering if I should order some additional switches to keep on hand.  Or do you think this was just a random and rare beak?

Archon v2.1 w/Sound : Consular Green
Initiate: Blue
Apprentice v4: Sun Riders Destiny
Apprentice v4 w/Sound: Sun Riders Destiny

Sarich Belmont
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 54

I am legend.

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:49:19 PM »

What you have there is a latching switch, not a momentary. I have seen that kind of break before.

"I don't aim to be like you, Master, not at all. I aim to be better." Jacen Sarich, then-Padawan. (From my old Star Wars D20 days.)

Under Construction...

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »

Yeah, that is a guarded latching switch.  I can't view your pic, maybe my work is blocking the site, but I have never had one break before.  I'm glad you were able to swap it out easily though.  I'm not really a fan of the guarded switches, but they have the advantage of being very easy to replace if something goes wrong. 

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Sarich Belmont
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 54

I am legend.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »

I'm more of a fan of the 12mm AV switches over the plastic guarded ones, I stock up on them whenever I find a deal on the latching variety.

"I don't aim to be like you, Master, not at all. I aim to be better." Jacen Sarich, then-Padawan. (From my old Star Wars D20 days.)

Under Construction...

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 01:00:03 AM »

I am home and can see the pics and can honestly say, I haven't seen that before. 

Are the 12mm AV switches the same size as the guarded switches? 

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Silvanus
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »

Yeah sorry about the title, I just mentally flopped the switches.  It was a latching switch that broke.

Good question Molina00, is are the guarded switches the same size?  They look like they are, how about the Anti Vandal Momentary Switch? 

Archon v2.1 w/Sound : Consular Green
Initiate: Blue
Apprentice v4: Sun Riders Destiny
Apprentice v4 w/Sound: Sun Riders Destiny

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 04:03:48 PM »

The guarded switches are all the same size but I know there are 12mm and 16mm AV switches.  The 16mm are the ones Ultrasabers uses, which require a larger whole then the guarded switches.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:59:38 PM »

The 12mm AV and the guarded switches are the same size, that's why many builders use them when you don't have the tools to widen the hole for the 16mm AV switches US sells.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:05:53 PM »

The 12mm AV and the guarded switches are the same size, that's why many builders use them when you don't have the tools to widen the hole for the 16mm AV switches US sells.

Great, thanks!  I did get a 5/8" drill bit for the 16mm switches but I would much rather use the 12mm's and not have to drill at all. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: