Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Phantom V3 Staff in SY review - pictures  (Read 1930 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« on: March 24, 2014, 06:48:50 PM »

OK, I have my first sabers!  Two or three, depending on how you count them.  :-) 

First, let me say that they are pure awesomeness.  I know there are may "premium" hilts in the US inventory and I may even purchase one of them one day, but since I first found their site a few months ago I have had eyes for one saber: The Dominix V3 and its twin the Aeon V3, as well as the staff version, the Phantom V3.

The 10% off and free initiate offer broke my resistance at last and my order was placed on the 14th.  The sabers arrived today, and they are living up to the billing.  :-)
First, the Initiate.  I recieved a Dark Initiate V3 in Guardian Blue.  I like this blade a lot more than I thought I would.  After a few initial test swings and spins, I am very tempted to keep this one for myself rather than gift it as I intended ... but no, it will find a most excellent home with my daughter.  After all, I can't spar if my sparring partner is not armed, right?  Smiley

The initiate blade is a bit short for my tastes as a primary weapon, but that is to be expected.  As a second blade for off-hand weilding or as part of a staff it will be excellent.  :-)

Which brings me to my "main" purchase: The Phantom V3.

First, the staff is actually quite heavy.  I purchased HG blades, so they have some bulk to them and I also purchased 36" blades.  That makes the entire package 8 feet long with the black vented adjustable coupler isntalled.  This is a bit longer than I had anticipated, but I plan to give it a whirl (literally) in some open space before I pass judgement on it.  My initial impression, however, is that it may have been expedient to go with the shorter blades for the staff.  Which just means I will be purchasing a few spare blades soon to do a side-by-side comparison.  Smiley

Despite the heft, the staff is very well balanced and once you do get it moving it is impressive and has a lot of power.  In a duel that power could be a decisive advantage, and at 6'4" I am tall enough and powerful enough to manage the longer blades and greater momentum.

The best feel, though, is of the single Dominix/36" blade combo.  The balance is utterly perfect, with the center of gravity for the saber being just under an inch beyond the emitter, making the saber just slightly blade-heavy.  This tracks with the "real" weapons I've handled and the balance is so close to my katana that I anticipate very little notice in switching from one to the other.

The blade colors are also very bright.  My staff is Sentinel Yellow, which is by nature a fairly pale color, but in daylight the blade still lights noticably and in a darkened room it is quite spectacular.  The Guardian Blue in the Initiate is brilliant of course and looks amazing as well.  :-)

A few test swings and impacts with inanimate objects used as targets (as well as one good solid hit on a wall that jumped in the way of a whirling blade) have proven that they are indeed as resiliant as advertized.  I cannot wait to put them to the test.

And a couple of quick photos:

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Darth Obvious
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -44

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:06:57 PM »

Is it just me, or do those switches look gray/silver instead of black?

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:32:56 PM »

The silver ones are latching switches (on stunt sabers), the black ones momentary switches (on sabers with sound).

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »

That's right.  Two of the hilts do not have sound.  The Initiate V3 is a standard set-up, stunt-saber all the way.  My second Dominix has the Li-Ion battery with buckpuck and is just like the other but lacks a covertek wheel and has no sound.  I just couldn't quite afford to equip both with sound at this time, hence the slight difference.

One note on the momentary switch: It caused me a bit of consternation when I tried to turn the saber off for the first time.  I hit the switch and instead of shutting down it went into "clash".  Smiley  After couple more attempts it occurred to me that it may simply need to be held a moment longer, so I pressed and held until the familiar shut-down sounds occured and the blade dimmed.   

I may eventually work in some silver highlights on the hilts, but I have to admit I love them as-is.  Also thought of adding yellow stripes in the grooves and calling them "bee" and "sting", but that seems corney even to me.  :-)

I have re-arranged the blades.  The Initiate now sports the 36" HG blade and the second Dominix is equipped with the 28" initiate blade for off-hand duel weilding.  Smiley  Bugger is FAST with that short blade...

Darth Obvious
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -44

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:53:47 PM »

The silver ones are latching switches (on stunt sabers), the black ones momentary switches (on sabers with sound).

My free Initiate just came with a black one, not a silver one. But it doesn't have sound or anything, so wouldn't it be considered a stunt saber?

Just to be clear, I am not talking about the button itself, but the casing/housing thing around it. They look gray/silver in those pics, which I've never seen before (other than with the AV switches, obviously).

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:28:09 PM »

Ah, that's something different.
Well, the gray/silver appearance might just be an illusion. Normally the guard around the switch (what you call the "housing") is black. Maybe just a reflection of light...

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 06:10:47 PM »

That's right, Racona.  They're black, the gray look is just the lighting.  Though coloring it silver is one of the highlights I was considering, or using a dremel to polish the guard down to metal.  :-)

I need to get some more pictures.  I took the staff outside with the XL blades on and swung it around.  Its managable, but only because I'm a big guy, but it handles slower than my bo staff, which is 6'.  Of course, this monster is nearl 8' with those 36" blades installed.  I will be ordering a pair of 28" MG blades soon as an alternative.

On the other hand, using my existing initiate blade as an off-hand weapon with the full size primary looks sooooo cool.  Definately need pictures...  :-)

Jedijosh
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 105

Come back to the light side we have chips & Salsa

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 06:55:53 PM »

Nice sabers, Karmack. My 4 year old brother has an initiate with a UEMG initiate blade and my 18 year old brother has an Aeon with a 36" MG blade it makes an interesting staff.

Sabers:
Aeon v2 (CG), Archon v2.1 (VA), Graflex CE (Obsidian Emerald), Guardian (Obsidian GB),

Wish list:
Azure Mantis, Arbiter, Bellicose in RGB, Chosen One CE, Consular in CG, Prophecy v3

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 06:38:19 PM »

LOL   I just realized I neglected to post any pictures of the actual staff.
Here's one by itself, and one with the Dark Initiate for comparison.

No blades, sorry.   Batteries were charging...  :-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: