Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Phantom LE V2 arctic blue  (Read 3965 times)
The Shadow
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: September 19, 2012, 02:38:57 AM »

This is my first saber and first saber review.  I just received it in the mail today.  It shipped out 3 business days after my order (understandable as I ordered a special color), and it arrived about 4 business days later. The box had a few dings in it where UPS banged it up, but it was in good shape overall compared to some of the stories that I read about other peoples' experiences with UPS.  Anyway, the saber was in perfect condition when it arrived so the state of the box is not really of my concern.  Here are my options:

Phantom V2
Blade LED Color: Arctic Blue
Blade 2 Color: Arctic Blue
Blade Length: X-Long 36"
Blade Option: UltraEdge
Hilt 1 Model: Limited Edition (LE) Version
Hilt 2 Model: Limited Edition (LE) Version
Blade Tip: Round Tip
Include Retention Screw Wrench: Sure!
Include Blade Plug: No Thanks
Include Second Blade Plug: No Thanks
Include Covertec Clip: No Thanks
Install Covertec Wheel: No Thanks
Include Second Covertec Clip: No Thanks
Install Covertec Wheel Hilt 2: No Thanks

I wanted this to be mainly a stunt saber, so I kept it plain and simple (and easy on the wallet $145).  I also wanted more than one for my first saber so that I could duel with my friends or practice alone with single, dual, or staff.

Here I will discuss each option, why I chose that option, and what the results were once I got the saber:

I chose arctic blue for several reasons:
1. I did not want to get any of the standard RGB colors
2. I hope that it will show up better outside (I have not taken them outside yet) and with the lights on
3. It is the same color as Exar Kun's light blue staff (and I like Exar Kun's combat techniques)

I am 6'3" tall, so I chose the 36" blade length (even though I got a staff), and I am sick and tired of the little toy sabers/swords with the tiny little 24" blades.
The hilts are each 12", and the blades are inserted 3" into the hilts, making actual blade length 33", the hilt and blade are 45", and the staff setup is 90" or 7'6"
When I first picked them up, they felt a little long, but I got used to it very fast.  Wielding one inside is manageable, as long as you watch the ceiling/floor.  Wielding both at once is difficult in my apartment.  The staff is very big and is definitely not for indoor use (unless you are in a gym or something of similar size).

One thing that I noticed that was missing from most reviews is where the balance point is located.  This matters a lot to me as I will be using them for spinning and the like, so I will put the balance point down here in the hopes that people reading this will include it in their future reviews.

The balance point is approximately 1/2" up from the emitter, which is not perfect, but it is pretty close.
Note: I got the 36" ultra edge mid-grade blades, so this balance point only applies with these blades as the weight of the blade affects the balance.

I got the ultra edge option because, after reading the forums, I thought the arctic blue would look better with the ultra edge, as many people said that brighter colors work well with it, while darker colors (such as red and orange) show up better with the plain mid-grade or heavy grade blade.
I got the mid-grade ultra edge option in the hopes that the saber would be better balanced (as discussed above) , and many people said that the mid-grade blades were very durable and that the heavy grade blades were really for combat with wooden staffs or bokken, which I am not planning to do.

I got the LE option because it looked better in the pics and I wanted something that wasn't entirely plain looking.  I must say that the hilts turned out to be very good-looking, exceeding my expectations for a cheap stunt saber!

The remaining options are pretty much self-explanatory taking into consideration that this is a stunt saber on a budget.

Overall, the sabers have a very solid feel and have a weight and heft to them that is entirely absent from cheap toys (I have the Anakin Hasbro Ultimate FX from Wal-Mart for $30).  I am very much enjoying the length (as discussed above), and the fact that I could choose rather than just having it come in some arbitrary length that is really better for children.  The sabers are very nice and very well crafted, and I can tell that they will hold up to years of heavy use.  I would suggest this to anyone looking for a good cheap first saber.  I know that I will return to ultrasabers when I want to expand my arsenal.

The screwing/unscrewing of the pommels/coupler/blade screws takes a while and is rather inconvenient making it difficult to convert to staff and back or remove the blades, but it makes for a solid connection.  I just wish that there was a faster way to do it without losing that connection.  If ultrasabers could come up with that I would probably hail them as superheroes or something ;-)

Here are some photos that I took (note: I have not replaced the batteries that came with the saber yet, as I do not have enough to supply new batteries to both)
Sorry that the ones with the lights off are blurry, my camera could not seem to focus correctly with the lights out.
As cameras never seem to do the colors justice, and there have been some people saying that arctic blue is kinda greenish, I will say that the arctic blue is NOT a green-blue.  It is an ice blue, light blue, or sky blue color.  Now, I know that some green is mixed with the blue in order to make this color, but it DOES NOT show at all.  This color is a pure light blue color.  Just wanted to clear that up for those who are wondering.

Now, on to the pics!

Here they are separate:

Close-up of the hilts

Angled view:

Here they are turned on:
With the lights on:

With the lights off:

Coupled together:

Turned on:

With the lights off:

Full length with lights off:

The coupler:

Note: sometimes I have trouble getting the coupler off of the hilts, so i just insert a small screwdriver into this hole that goes through the middle in order to get more leverage, and it comes off just fine.

Note: the pommels and coupler seem to fit better when used on a specific hilt, so instead of getting them mixed up all the time I wrote a 1 and 2 on the inside of the pommels/coupler and the ends of the battery packs with a sharpie.  (and yes, the sharpie is black and the pommels/coupler are black so it is kinda hard to see but I actually like it that way because its not obvious)

Personally, I think that the pics don't really do it justice, and I was hesitant to put them in here, but I knew that a bunch of people would reply and ask "where are your pics!?" or something like that so I put them in and I hope that they help rather than hinder...

Overall, 5/5 stars to this one!  Thanks ultrasabers! I will be looking forward to when I have enough money to buy my next installment!

Video review to come soon!

Please reply with comments/questions/suggestions!
Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:48:18 AM by The Shadow » Logged

Sabers:
===============)_)))o) ) ) ) )|( ( ( ( (o(((_(===============
Phantom v2 arctic blue

"Someone must defeat the Sith, but the Jedi will never finish the job.  That's where I come in."

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »

Excellent choice!! And the LE edition looks great with AB!

dark side points please

The Shadow
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 03:28:40 AM »

I agree! Thanks Vex!

Sabers:
Phantom v2 arctic blue

"Someone must defeat the Sith, but the Jedi will never finish the job.  That's where I come in."

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »

Excellent choice!! And the LE edition looks great with AB!

Vex is right, excellent color choice. I have a v2 Aeon LE and it looks ridiculously good on that hilt as well.

The Shadow
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:03:27 PM »

Thanks Plagueis!  I agree that the silver accents really set off the AB well.  AB probably looks good with almost any hilt, but the black of the phantom V2 LE combined with the sleek shape really gives it that edgy look.

Sabers:
Phantom v2 arctic blue

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »

That has got to be very best picture of Arctic Blue that I have seen in quite some time.  I love it (no comments from the Peanut Gallery.) 

I like how you tied your choice into a character that you really liked and made the saber more of your own to fit your own size and abilities. 

The main thing is that you like your choices and thanks for taking the time to share some images with the rest of us.  Makes our in-between saber purchases much easier.

Blue

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Lord Cooler
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -80

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:01:18 PM »

Nice. I love the way AB looks, or at least the color my RGB Raven gets when I press green and blue(it sure isn't SRD). I do prefer it on the regular mid-grade, though.

RGB Raven "Stalker"
BR Overlord "Doombringer"
GB Prophecy "Salvation"
BR Malice "Reaver"
SRD Bellicose "Protector"
DVA Dominix v3 LE "Corruption"
GB Raven "Azure"

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:39:09 PM »

Way nice saber. Basically the Dominix V2 looks good in Arctic Blue. I like it. =] I should get me some more stunt sabers while I can.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

The Shadow
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »

I hope that US keeps the dominix V2 around for quite a while :-)

Sabers:
Phantom v2 arctic blue

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

I hope that US keeps the dominix V2 around for quite a while :-)

You might want to go ahead and get one then.  I am starting to see some V3's getting into the Grab Bags which means that the V2's are probably getting low in stock.

Blue

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Darth Zelta
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -11

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 06:09:28 AM »

I always liked the Phantom LE V2's. Was torn between the Phantom LE V2 and (my) Phantasm Initiate V3. Got mine in GB. Nice color wanted something that resembled Satele Shan's lightsaber from SWTOR. Artic Blue is way awesome though, good choice. Gives it a really nice lightside look to it. Good review though.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I achieve victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The force shall free me

The Shadow
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »

You might want to go ahead and get one then.  I am starting to see some V3's getting into the Grab Bags which means that the V2's are probably getting low in stock.

Well I already have two... I just hope that for the good of everyone else they keep offering this great option for a stunt saber combo.

I always liked the Phantom LE V2's. Was torn between the Phantom LE V2 and (my) Phantasm Initiate V3. Got mine in GB. Nice color wanted something that resembled Satele Shan's lightsaber from SWTOR. Artic Blue is way awesome though, good choice. Gives it a really nice lightside look to it. Good review though.

Thanks.  I really like the AB and, as I said in my review, it resembles Exar Kun's saber just as yours resembles Satele Shan's.  I think it would be really cool if US made a real Satele saber too, like they did with Malgus' saber (the malice).

Sabers:
Phantom v2 arctic blue

Bj@Cal
Force Sensitive

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »

does the package come with two pommels or just one and a connector?

The Shadow
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »

does the package come with two pommels or just one and a connector?

The package comes with 2 pommels and one coupler, as shown in the pics.  The pommels are very low profile and sit flush with the rest of the saber so they can be kinda hard to distinguish from the rest of the hilt.  Just make sure to get the Phantom V2 and not just two Dominix V2's as the package is cheaper and includes the coupler.  You should definently get one its more awesome than you could imagine!

Sabers:
Phantom v2 arctic blue

xango
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »

Your saber is awesome, congratulations!

Light side all the way!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: