Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lightsaber training For beginners  (Read 2962 times)
SubmarineMan
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« on: January 01, 2020, 03:00:44 PM »

Hi,
I’m unable to join any lightsaber club because I move around to much so I’ve been looking for videos on YouTube etc.
I found rogue saber academy, the first few videos I saw looked really good as the guy presenting it gave really good step by step guides on everything howeverr I noticed when lesson 4 finishes, it then skips straight to lesson 11 and after looking everywhere I can’t find lessons 5-10. I’ve also looked on thier website etc and it looks like it’s dead now and they no longer update or post any new content.  Is it still worth  following this from lesson 11 onwards or is it not worth it?
Also if anyone else here can recommend any online content with  step by step videos  so that I can continue to train then that would be great thanks.

This sith would like some dark points

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 03:28:08 PM »

Start your search over here:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=38.0

Or even a bit more specific, this section of the forum:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=23125.0

And a quick forum search might help you even further along.

A little (unasked for) advise. Start with the basics and master that first, take your time, don't rush and most of all: Have fun doing so. It's the process that's the rewarding bit, not the endresult.

Oh and don't forget to share a few video's of your spinning, we do like video's around here  Wink

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »

Check out the TPLA homepage (http://www.terraprimelightarmory.com/terra-prime-lightsaber-academy) and their YouTube page (https://www.youtube.com/user/TerraPrimeLightsaber). You'll find plenty of material there - from actual instructions to in-depth insights into the forms and their show "TPLA Live!".

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »

This page really helped me get started

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=23125.0

Specifically, Darth Cephalus' single blade saber tutorials got me learning from the basics to intermediate and advanced training

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf2BA9eUktws29zZjesedQ996qS8oYEpt

I recommend that you train with both sides, what you learn on one hand, you should learn on the other

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 03:12:43 AM »

How often and how long do you recommend training sessions should be? I find my lack of time disturbing. What is the structure of a session?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 11:12:33 AM »

AAARGH, connection error. I had a (IMHO) really good and long awnser for you, but then a connection error!
So here's the shorter version, wich I'll copy-paste first before posting again  Angry

Assuming you want to have a constructive training session in wich you can consolidate severel skills, take 20-30 minutes.

For me a quick spinning session would look something like this:
5 minutes of warming-up and active stretching. Focussing on the wrists, elbows and shoulders. A little bit on the back and hips, less on the legs, etc.
Then 15-20 minutes of several individual spinning exercises. Taking time to practice the skill in both your dominant and non-dominant hand. Depending on the skill/exercise you can do between 3 to 10 different ones in the set timeframe.
Then take time for a few minutes of free spinning, combining the trained skills and the movements that just feel good.
End with a few minutes of static stretching, main focus on your wirsts and lower arms

If you want to learn a new skill, same warm-up and cooldown, but take the 20 min. trainingtime for that one single exercise. Don't forget to do some free spinning afterwards, you're body and mind will thank you for that.

If you want a quick form-training session. Same warm-up and cooldown, then about 20 minutes of form-training, anyway you like.

If you want a quick sparring/application training session.... Good luck, we forget time when practicing application and doing some sparring and have never been able to just practice 20 minutes. Just give yourself the time and freedom to have fun.

For me, I get more out a training session if I plan more time then needed. Lets say I have a schedule wich on paper should only take 30 minutes, I plan 45 minutes. It gives me rest, rest in my head, time to take it slower, take time for a specific exercise if my body ask for it, or just have a few minutes of extra time to sit down and do nothing. That way I don't have to rush my training.

I had a lot more to say on this topic, but that's for another time.

Just remember to have fun along the way and enjoy your training sessions.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 11:20:51 AM »

How often and how long do you recommend training sessions should be? I find my lack of time disturbing. What is the structure of a session?

When I started, I thought training for 45 minutes and above was the key, it wasn't and will only tire out your arms.

I started training in 15 minutes intervals, if something is hard for me to get down, I stop and will take a break doing something else then return and try again.

This works well especially if you're training both sides which is highly recommended so that you can rest in between sessions.

Once I learned the basic moves, I still train them several times a day with multiple 5 to 15 minute sessions as one should never stop training.

Stick with a move until you can get it down on both sides. Start slowly since anyone can try to spin fast but saber artistry is about not just the flow of the saber but the flow of oneself, the flow within. You're trying to learn moves so that you can smoothly transition them between each other in fluid motions but it is a discussion for another time once you get the moves down.

As a Marine and a body builder, I would do dynamic stretching for your warm ups like jumping jacks, lunges, side to side stretches, etc.

ZanarCrestrider
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 04:55:28 AM »

I love how supportive and helpful everyone is around here. Sure a lot of it is the same advice from different people, but that should just reinforce how important that bit is if you hear is six times from six different people. =D

Light side points when warranted

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 02:43:18 AM »

Here are two great folks that put out simple, easy to follow videos.

Venturous
https://www.youtube.com/user/venturous1v/featured

Darth Cephalus
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-lqjxfFJG8uZsJis4grvew

Between the 2 of them, you should be able to pick up a ton. Like everyone else has said, though, make certain to train both hands. Also, it's kind of like learning guitar....even if you only have 10 mins, pick the saber up and practice.  Don't forget to stretch first, especially your hands and shoulders.

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

DarthSyronimus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -40

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 12:32:26 AM »

Specifically, Darth Cephalus' single blade saber tutorials got me learning from the basics to intermediate and advanced training
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf2BA9eUktws29zZjesedQ996qS8oYEpt

Going to give a quick shoutout to Darth Cephalus as well... his review videos got me to consider UltraSabers when I was wishywashying around going back and forth from those $60 toys to the $600 customs (no, I don't think I'm ready for the $2k level)

His single saber videos are short, sweet, and to the point.  I'm looking forward to trying and applying what he teaches.  I also appreciate the no-nonsense production values that keeps things real and not overproduced-glitzy

Dark Side here, Grey in RPGs
(Order#1 - Ordered 1/27/20 - Arrived 3/12/20)
* Diamond Dominicide for me (died 4/2/20, sent back 5/23/20 for repairs, back in hand and working 6/4/2020)
* Diamond Dark Apprentice LE v5 for the 10yo Padawan
* Stunt Aeon LE v3 - Blazing Red (FreeMysteryBox) for the missus
* Stunt Initiate v2 - Guardian Blue (FreeInitiate) for the 7yo Youngling
(Order #2 - Ordered 5/17/20 - Arrived 9/13/20)
* Stunt Dark Overlord - Consular Green ($75 Mystery Box)
* Yari (Pike) Extension with 16" UEHG
* Silver Vented QR Coupler

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: