Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Dual wield dueling  (Read 5269 times)
Kalibos
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 62

One Jedi One Destiny (Ultra Wing Warlord)

« on: June 14, 2011, 06:36:11 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npm7O6ujatU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npm7O6ujatU</a>

Two dark standard issue reds vs a dark prophecy rgb and a MR anakin Rots (bit of a long vid however it gets good at the end.) Filmed on location at Formby beach England (near Liverpool) in the middle of a thunderstorm ( not our cleverest moment) but good fun. Kalibos
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:01:12 PM by kalibos » Logged

War Glaive AB, Custom Prophecy RGB, Custom Dark Prophecy RGB, Initiate LE AB, Custom Omen Red
Dark Standard Issue x2 Red, Standard Issue x2 White blades with filters.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »

It works. lol.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Kalibos
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:29 PM »

Thanks LOL Kalibos

War Glaive AB, Custom Prophecy RGB, Custom Dark Prophecy RGB, Initiate LE AB, Custom Omen Red

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:18:28 AM »

Jar Kai is the Most Difficult form of dueling, I myself have never been able to master it, I Much Prefer a Staff  Grin 

If anyone can Master This Form, they have gained my respect as a duelist

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Kalibos
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:42:26 AM »

I will have to study the forms, I am classically trained in fencing and kenjitsu and my style is a mismatch of both depending on my opponent, on the above video the tall guy is a tai chi weapons "expert" and a kenjitsu style of swordplay is very effective at neutralizing a tai chi based style.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:53:01 AM »

Dual Wielding can indeed be effective if mastered.  I've become proficient with it, but that's about it.  I can just manage to hold my own with two sabers - I prefer one to be shorter since I've mostly trained with a sword and dagger.  My friend is very skilled with two blades though, I've been trying to learn from him.

Kalibos
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:22:34 PM »

cool, im best with a staff, unfortunatley my staff skill wont cross over to lightsaber staff due to the fact that I use the whole length of the staff not just the middle, My next new video project will either be a staff vs staff or a staff vs two or three single blades i ve tried to film a few already but it keeps on raining every time we go to do it!!

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:07:23 AM »

Dual Wielding can indeed be effective if mastered.  I've become proficient with it, but that's about it.  I can just manage to hold my own with two sabers - I prefer one to be shorter since I've mostly trained with a sword and dagger.  My friend is very skilled with two blades though, I've been trying to learn from him.

I was actually thinking about this today, I was contemplating a Dark Standard Issue Staff (in Arctic Blue, as a TFU II Tribute Saber), and I began to contemplate the "duelability" of this staff with shorter blades as opposed to longer blades.......  I would think that longer blades would throw the weight and hence the balance off while you were trying do duel with them.  Where as, the shorter blades would help keep the center of balance closer to your body, and hence enable you greater control, as well as greater maneuverability when performing more (Form IV: Ataru) acrobatic style attacks...... 

I think I will stick to mastering my staff, I feel it provides both the greatest offense, as well as an impenetrable defense when needed  Wink

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Kalibos
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »

I have a dark standard issue battle staff, when I ordered it I bought both 24" initiate blades and 32" blades (not the standard 36") the 32" blades worked really well, on the staff, but really came into their own when dual wielding the slightly shorter blades allowed more balance and gave the ability to perform some very aggressive blocks. I found that on the staff a 24" and a 32" blade together changed the staff in to more of a spear, this was very interesting, and something i am going to investigate further, (use the side with 24" blade on first, opponent gets a feel for your effective striking range then flip staff to 32" inch and opponent suddenly finds himself well within a thrust by 10") All in all having the staff with the different blade lengths gives lots of different options. Kalibos.

Torinn Zoler
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 15

Protector of the Plains

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »

I'm most proficient in single saber combat, but I've had experience with both staffs and dual sabers, and if I had to choose I gotta say I prefer dual sabers better for their versatility (although that could just be a reflection of my dueling style, I've never really been one for the brute force that is required where staffs are concerned). But if I do use dual sabers, they're almost never both full length, I usually use one long blade (36") and one shorter blade (usually about 28-30"). I know a lot of people use a 24" blade where this style is concerned, but I've found that to be too short for my liking. 28-30" can be a versatile length in many situations, where I can use it either as a short, close-range stabber, or in the same form as my 36" blade where attacks can be a bit more ranged.

Keiwanis
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 65

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 03:26:40 PM »

Always wanted to do this  Grin Grin Grin I HOPE that there'll be some saber enthusiasts in Victoria, B.C when I move there  Roll Eyes
I reaaalllyyy want to see how i could fare in saber combat. I've had some training in fencing, so I always note peoples footwork  Grin
Could you respond on what forms you two jedi favour?
I would use shii-cho, but advanced, like kit fisto.
Great to see dueling, keep it up, and keep working on it  Wink

-Keiwanis

KEIWANIS BANNER

-Light Side Points appreciated Smiley-

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 04:34:22 PM »

Nero, we need to film Heaven & Earth and get it on the forums ASAP.  It's something I'm sure Master Caine would recognize instantly with his background in Filipino fighting arts.  It would also be a great exercise for anyone interested in enhancing their dual wielding.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 06:49:15 PM »

Nero, we need to film Heaven & Earth and get it on the forums ASAP.  It's something I'm sure Master Caine would recognize instantly with his background in Filipino fighting arts.  It would also be a great exercise for anyone interested in enhancing their dual wielding.

I concur - its an excellent trainig exercise and it would be great to put here.  Sounds like fun too.

@Wraith - that TFU2 saberstaff sounds awesome.  The dark standard issue really looks like the sabers from the game.

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 09:03:19 PM »

@Wraith - that TFU2 saberstaff sounds awesome.  The dark standard issue really looks like the sabers from the game.

Thanks Brother  Wink I'll post picks as soon as I can get it together  Grin

Maslac
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -17

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 06:41:29 AM »

Nice vid !

I love the way the guy with the Anakin  is trying realy hard to kill you hehe Cheesy

I noticed most of you guys on the forum already know the forms of saber-fighting, and i was just wondering: Did all of you get the Master Cane/Novastar saber tutorials (guides) ? I just placed an order, and ofc forgot to order the CD.. Ah well, there is always next time Cheesy Anyways, i was wondering (and i hope this will not be blasphemy) where can i get a good tutorial for spinning sabers on the net, or perhaps just the basic spins and stuff i could do in my room Smiley Watched a lot of saber reviews, and some people are realy good ! (Tortuga, you are a mad man with 2 blades lol , hope you fixed your Aeon blade). Did you guys get so good with hours of practice with a dueling partner, or is it just one of those "Oh! i got 5 mins to spare... (powerup sound) and you are doing spins in your room for fun" ?

My 1st problem would be the UEHG on my Aeons, ill have to wait for my mid-grade blades to see how the balance works out, cuz the UEGHs are freaking heavy, and the balance point in like 4 inchec on to the blade (was thinking of puting some weight in my hilts to balance it out, but will probbaly wait for the mid-grades before tweaking).

Anyways, i found out that balance is a beutifull thing when spinning your saber (probably a nesesaty ?). My Anakin ROTS from Hasbro is suprisingly good balanced. Its right at the "choke" point, and i can do stuff with that saber i cant with my Aeons (yet). It's got the removable blade tho, so it's making all sorts of squeeking sounds when spinning (those blade mounting systems realy cant take any G-forces).

Ah all that will change, when my Consular comes ! Muhiheh ! (Giggles like a 8 year old kid and starts running around his room in circles)

Anakin 2010 FX - blue (not converted yet)
Phantasm - 2x blazing red ; modified with claws (pics soon)
Consular - Blazing red/guardian blue ; modified with War glaive pommel

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: