Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Ahsoka Series Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 5276 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« on: August 25, 2023, 04:35:24 AM »

Alright, first 2 episodes of Ahsoka are out, and I've been thinking about them, and thinking to myself "I wish a had a community I could talk to about them". Then I remembered that I do.😅

So lets get this discussion going. FYI, there will be spoilers in this thread.

***SPOILERS***

So how are we all feeling? Since we first found out that Ahsoka was going to be played in Live-Action by Rosario Dawson it's been my opinion that she's not the perfect choice for Ahsoka. I was willing to give her a chance though, because she's a great actress. However, after seeing her in Mando and Boba, and now the first 2 episodes of Ahsoka, I'm still not convinced. Part of the issue is I don't see Ahsoka, I see Rosario. The other part is that I currently see her trying to act like how she thinks Ahsoka should act, and not truly, fully, embodying Ahsoka. That could come with more time spent as the character though.

However, even with that, I'm able to listen to the words she's actually saying, and see that yes, the writing is that of Ahsoka. If Ashley Eckstein was saying these words, I would believe that it was Ahsoka. So at the moment, I can't criticize that area of the writing.

Some other thoughts though. After watching the first episode, I asked myself "am I interested and engaged in this show because the show is good? Or am I just going to watch episode 2 because it's Star Wars and it's available?" I haven't quite answered that yet. I didn't have time to watch both episodes back to back, so I had a full day in between watching them, and as I was going about my day on Wednesday waiting to watch episode 2, all I could think of was how I felt like I had watched another episode of Star Wars Rebels, and that told me that at the very least, it's doing something right.

Lothal looks fantastic (though the Lothcat does look a bit synthetic), and Huyang is a great addition to the show. It's always good to see different cultures, and I'm specifically referring to the exploration of the difference between Jedi and Nightsisters and their view of the Force. It's barely touched on, but you see it in the interactions between Baylon and Morgan.

And I'll end with this: who do we think Marrok is?
I've seen theories that it's Kanan, or Ezra, or Barriss, or Starkiller. And while I'm not sure, it's hard not to see the similarity between "Marrok" and "Marek" (which, for those who don't know, Starkiller's name is Galen Marek). And Filoni has talked about the idea of bringing back Starkiller as an inqusitor. I don't know what I want from it yet, but I'm leaning towards not wanting it to be Starkiller.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs don't run.

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 07:33:53 AM »

If you are enjoying the show and are optimistic about the series in general, then don't watch the video I linked! I don't want to dampen anyone's good times.
Sorry I'm always so negative.  I blame Disney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBH-L87nJUk&pp=ygUxRGlzbmV5IHN0YXIgd2FycyB0dXJuZWQgcXVpIGdvbiBqaW5uIGludG8gYSBsb3Nlcg%3D%3D#

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 03:18:05 AM »

So how are we all feeling? Since we first found out that Ahsoka was going to be played in Live-Action by Rosario Dawson it's been my opinion that she's not the perfect choice for Ahsoka. I was willing to give her a chance though, because she's a great actress. However, after seeing her in Mando and Boba, and now the first 2 episodes of Ahsoka, I'm still not convinced. Part of the issue is I don't see Ahsoka, I see Rosario. The other part is that I currently see her trying to act like how she thinks Ahsoka should act, and not truly, fully, embodying Ahsoka. That could come with more time spent as the character though.

Honestly, the only actor that I feel correctly reflects the animated version is Ryder.  But then again, it is the OG actor and the original animation was actually modeled after him.  I can't see any of the others as their animated counter parts.  I never felt Dawson embodied Ahsoka, thought supposedly she researched (and lobbied) for the role.

However, even with that, I'm able to listen to the words she's actually saying, and see that yes, the writing is that of Ahsoka. If Ashley Eckstein was saying these words, I would believe that it was Ahsoka. So at the moment, I can't criticize that area of the writing.

I do think the writing is spot on for the characters and the "series" (let's face it, it is Rebels season 5).  But, considering this Rebels (and the character Ahsoka) is Filoni's baby, I wouldn't expect anything less.

Some other thoughts though. After watching the first episode, I asked myself "am I interested and engaged in this show because the show is good? Or am I just going to watch episode 2 because it's Star Wars and it's available?" I haven't quite answered that yet. I didn't have time to watch both episodes back to back, so I had a full day in between watching them, and as I was going about my day on Wednesday waiting to watch episode 2, all I could think of was how I felt like I had watched another episode of Star Wars Rebels, and that told me that at the very least, it's doing something right.

I'm watching it because my wife is a HUGE Ahsoka fan.  She has watched both episodes five times each since they premiered.  If you do the math, that is five times in four days.  She watched them again Tuesday night.  But, I am also interested in the character of Ahsoka.  She is one of the most fully developed characters in SW with a huge amount of growth.  But, for me Rebels is my SW show.  It has a great arc and the character (and the show) grow from the beginning to the end.  I liek to think that this was by design.  Think about it: It aired on The Disney Channel and was geared towards kids.  As the intended audience grew more mature, so did the show and the themes.  Let's face it: "Jedi Night" could not have aired in season 1.

Lothal looks fantastic (though the Lothcat does look a bit synthetic), and Huyang is a great addition to the show. It's always good to see different cultures, and I'm specifically referring to the exploration of the difference between Jedi and Nightsisters and their view of the Force. It's barely touched on, but you see it in the interactions between Baylon and Morgan.

The look of the show is great.  I dare to say it is the best looking show of all of them.  Lothal looks exactly like it did in Rebels, but better. 

And I'll end with this: who do we think Marrok is?
I've seen theories that it's Kanan, or Ezra, or Barriss, or Starkiller. And while I'm not sure, it's hard not to see the similarity between "Marrok" and "Marek" (which, for those who don't know, Starkiller's name is Galen Marek). And Filoni has talked about the idea of bringing back Starkiller as an inqusitor. I don't know what I want from it yet, but I'm leaning towards not wanting it to be Starkiller.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made Marrok Ezra, but it would mess with the narrative of the end of Rebels.  Ezra and Thrawn were lost together.  Thrawn is still missing.  If Erza is Marrok, how did he come back but not Thrawn.  I doubt it is Kanan as that would diminish the last few episodes of Rebels.  Barriss would be a good choice considering her history with Ahsoka.  I don't think they would bring in anyone from the EU/Legends.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 07:00:00 AM »

I'm watching it because my wife is a HUGE Ahsoka fan.  She has watched both episodes five times each since they premiered.  If you do the math, that is five times in four days.  She watched them again Tuesday night.  But, I am also interested in the character of Ahsoka.  She is one of the most fully developed characters in SW with a huge amount of growth.  But, for me Rebels is my SW show.  It has a great arc and the character (and the show) grow from the beginning to the end.  I liek to think that this was by design.  Think about it: It aired on The Disney Channel and was geared towards kids.  As the intended audience grew more mature, so did the show and the themes.  Let's face it: "Jedi Night" could not have aired in season 1.

It's sad that as much as I love Star Wars, I don't have a Star Wars show that I consider "my show". Rebels is close, and TCW is close, but neither of them are quite there. I loved Andor, but that's also not there yet. Maybe s2 can bring it. And I doubt Ahsoka will be able to be that for me. A strange choice, but I consider Attack of the Clones to be "my movie".  Cheesy

Honestly, the only actor that I feel correctly reflects the animated version is Ryder.  But then again, it is the OG actor and the original animation was actually modeled after him.  I can't see any of the others as their animated counter parts.  I never felt Dawson embodied Ahsoka, thought supposedly she researched (and lobbied) for the role.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 11:41:35 PM »

I agree Dawson as Ahsoka thus far simply does not work, she doesn't seem at all like the character in Rebels of TCW, and frankly I find her the least interesting part of her own series thus far. 

Baylon and Morgan are actually far more engaging for me, I want to see more of them than any of the others.

There will be many people watching this who have not seen, and will never watch/cannot be expected to watch, Rebels, that is a fact, but the character intros have been done OK to catch people with zero interest in the animated shows up I think overall, albeit it means some scenes (notably Sabine returning to the ship) meant nothing to some people.   

Will see where it goes from here but I'd say its been an 'average' start. The stand out moments have been for me and mine anything with Baylon and co. (arguably not knowing their motives/background/relationships to each other makes them far more interesting as you don't know what to expect), the rest has been nothing exceptional or overly interesting.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 07:54:44 PM »

Point to Taegin for starting this topic.  I came here looking for this.
My main issues with the first two episodes:
1. A jedi trained individual AND a 25000 year old robot could not solve a three axis puzzle
2. So much spinning (of the body) in fights
3. Living from gut stabs

I am not sure what else to say about the "rubix" sphere except I would hope the writers could come up with a better way to bring in Sabine.

Okay, I know the spinning adds drama. Sold. However, I counted 7 in the one duel on Lothal.  I would lose too if I made myself so dizzy.  Sabine should have been sliced multiple times. Can we please get a good technical fight with limited spinning? 

I am a fan of Qui-Gon so I am getting really irritated with EVERYONE else surviving plasma punches in the poop tubes.  Also, did the wound move from center to side or am I mistaken.

In closing, I am a fan and otherwise curious to see what they do with the rest of the story.   Also, bring me some Zeb already...

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 08:09:26 PM »

If you are enjoying the show and are optimistic about the series in general, then don't watch the video I linked! I don't want to dampen anyone's good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBH-L87nJUk&pp=ygUxRGlzbmV5IHN0YXIgd2FycyB0dXJuZWQgcXVpIGdvbiBqaW5uIGludG8gYSBsb3Nlcg%3D%3D#

Oh my bad buddy KaiserSosay...I should have known. 
I posted first then watched the review link.  Clearly I agree...but I will still watch the show.   I do not look at crashes when I am driving but stare like a scarecrow when I am a passenger.
Some amputations in future episodes would be a good step toward redemption.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 08:13:45 PM »

I agree Dawson as Ahsoka thus far simply does not work, she doesn't seem at all like the character in Rebels of TCW, and frankly I find her the least interesting part of her own series thus far. 

Baylon and Morgan are actually far more engaging for me, I want to see more of them than any of the others.

There will be many people watching this who have not seen, and will never watch/cannot be expected to watch, Rebels, that is a fact, but the character intros have been done OK to catch people with zero interest in the animated shows up I think overall, albeit it means some scenes (notably Sabine returning to the ship) meant nothing to some people.   

Will see where it goes from here but I'd say its been an 'average' start. The stand out moments have been for me and mine anything with Baylon and co. (arguably not knowing their motives/background/relationships to each other makes them far more interesting as you don't know what to expect), the rest has been nothing exceptional or overly interesting.

I agree Ahsoka seems dry but I blame the director.  They should have the vision and guide the actor toward it.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1559

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 08:30:23 PM »

I am a fan of Qui-Gon so I am getting really irritated with EVERYONE else surviving plasma punches in the poop tubes.  Also, did the wound move from center to side or am I mistaken.

In closing, I am a fan and otherwise curious to see what they do with the rest of the story.   Also, bring me some Zeb already...

Hi there, now I don't have Disney+ so haven't seen Ahsoka but I have heard about the Sabine/Qui-Gon "controversy" and this seems to add to my feelings that QGJ was short changed (even if they tried to make it up to him by making him the first "Force Ghost").

Anyway I can contribute this for you Nunya....

Can you believe I 3d modelled this THREE years ago now?

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 03:05:19 AM »

Hi there, now I don't have Disney+ so haven't seen Ahsoka but I have heard about the Sabine/Qui-Gon "controversy" and this seems to add to my feelings that QGJ was short changed (even if they tried to make it up to him by making him the first "Force Ghost").

Anyway I can contribute this for you Nunya....

Can you believe I 3d modelled this THREE years ago now?

Beautiful!  This should be the next US release.
Point to you and thanks!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 05:17:56 AM »

Agreed. Morgan being a descendant of nightsisters (doesn't sound like she was raised on Dathomir) is very intriguing. And Baylon (Ray) just has a gravitas about him that is definitely needed.

For some reason I didn't see this originally, but yeah. There is a slight difference between Sabine and Qui-Gon that I'll get to in just a second.

Point to Taegin for starting this topic.  I came here looking for this.
My main issues with the first two episodes:
1. A jedi trained individual AND a 25000 year old robot could not solve a three axis puzzle

The first thing I'd have done when I got the cube globe would've been to start spinning things. But then it took Sabine way to long to figure out that not only did the pieces spin, but how they were supposed to line up. The very first thing you notice about the globe when Ahsoka pulls it out of the soot is that there's a triquetra on it, clear as day.

2. So much spinning (of the body) in fights

I noticed this as well. The occasional spin can look really good, but the fight really just wasn't that impressive. Also the way it was filmed was too many close up shots, and shaky-cam to really feel like the elegant duel it should be. Even with a more scrappy fighter like Sabine.

3. Living from gut stabs

And I knew as soon as I saw this that the Reva Controversy would be restarted.
The problem with Reva was that she was stabbed (twice) and did not received immediate medical attention, only to then teleport to Tatooine and wander around wounded chasing after a certain character, and then wait until Obi-Wan conveniently also arrives at just the right time to talk and wait even longer. She should've been long dead.

With Sabine, she was stabbed in more of the lower right side, and then immediately was able to receive medical attention. So I have much less problem with her surviving, though it's still dumb that they keep doing that.

As for Qui-Gon, after rewatching the stabbing sequence, he is stabbed directly through the middle of his belly and his spine is severed. He then lies there dying for 5ish minutes waiting for Obi-Wan to slice Maul in half. He then willingly "gave up the ghost", a thing that has been established that Jedi can and will do since A New Hope in '77. But his wound was also far more severe than Sabine's was.

I agree Ahsoka seems dry but I blame the director.  They should have the vision and guide the actor toward it.

It's not fantastic. Hopefully it gets better.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 10:47:27 PM »

Up to episode 4. So far it's OK...the 'villains' are still the most interesting part of it, it has been commented on by others I know who have not watched Clone Wars or Rebels, they don't get why Ahsoka and Sabine are main characters, and were rooting for them to get bumped off so they can see more of Baylon. Episode 4 especially, Baylon is just such a more fascinating character, not even really a villain, his motivations are uncertain but his pragmatism is great.  I'd be really interested to know how other people who haven't watched Rebels feel about this show, I suspect the ending to ep 4 baffled most of them.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 06:32:11 PM »

Up to episode 4. So far it's OK...the 'villains' are still the most interesting part of it, it has been commented on by others I know who have not watched Clone Wars or Rebels, they don't get why Ahsoka and Sabine are main characters, and were rooting for them to get bumped off so they can see more of Baylon. Episode 4 especially, Baylon is just such a more fascinating character, not even really a villain, his motivations are uncertain but his pragmatism is great.  I'd be really interested to know how other people who haven't watched Rebels feel about this show, I suspect the ending to ep 4 baffled most of them.
While it is LSG's submission(s) that I'm most closely aligned to, I think that almost everything that everyone in this thread has stated has been dead-on balls accurate.

Ahsoka is the very example of "mediocre."  Ahsoka, Hera, and Sabine come off as flat.  I feel bad for anyone who is not familiar/has not seen "Star Wars: Rebels" as there is A LOT of characterization that is lost as a result.  Plus: their live-action counterparts are particularly underwhelming.

That said: Ray Stevenson (RIP  Sad) is a fantastic actor, one that I've loved ever since he came out in HBO's "Rome."  Unsurprisingly, Baylon IS an interesting character, made even better by the fact that he isn't some 2-dimensional, moustache-twirling villian who is EVUL4THELULZ.  I'm sincerely excited to see what his endgame is.

Also: I'm eager to see Thrawn in live-action, especially since Lars Mikkelsen was very good in "Rebels" and, as a book fan of the original Zahn "Heir To The Empire" Trilogy, I've been waiting almost 3 decades for this  Wink

Maybe (hopefully!) "Ahsoka" will improve significantly.  I have to admit that Episode 5 was better (some nice fanservice but still too many cringe-worthy scenes).

I'm really enjoying reading others' opinions regarding this series!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2023, 08:04:53 PM »

Episode 5 was much much better. And while yes, there were a lot of "fan-service" moments, they actually were also in service of the story as well.

I still think Rosario isn't right for Ahsoka, and after seeing episode 5, and seeing Ariana Greenblatt come in and play the character so much better, that opinion is even more reinforced. I was nearly crying during the Anakin scenes though. Hayden just absolutely killed it.

And actually, I kind of liked the stuff with Jacen. Any other world/story/character, and I think I would've hated it, but something about the way it was done, and the legacy of Kanan really worked in that moment for me. And anytime we get a LOTR reference, I appreciate it, so Ahsoka the White isn't a bad thing either.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2023, 04:20:58 PM »

So far I'm enjoying this series!

Although I have to say, the Purgil are a stupid concept, even by SW standards. That's been my feelings since Rebels and is so far my only major criticism of the Ahsoka series.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: