Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New AV switch?  (Read 848 times)
kamoosekazi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

« on: September 07, 2020, 12:22:07 AM »

I see the parts section has guarded switches. I'm looking for latching AV switches. The ones I bought from TCSS are actually too long and kinda make it impossible to just replace.
Any suggestions?

Dominix v4; Emerald/Obsidian v4 - Liberator v3; Fire Orange - Dark Apprentice v4; V. Amethyst - Apprentice v4; Arctic Blue - Catalyst; V. Amethyst Obsidian v4 - Prophecy v3; Consular Green - Dark Initiate v3; Sunrider's Destiny

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

Scrapper

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 05:31:30 PM »

I see the parts section has guarded switches. I'm looking for latching AV switches. The ones I bought from TCSS are actually too long and kinda make it impossible to just replace.
Any suggestions?

I don't think US currently has any guarded switches in stock.  I recently purchased a ready-to-ship saber and requested a guarded switch, and got a latching AV switch instead.  this has been a common "upgrade" for months now.  You might check with The Custom Saber Shop (the one "other guy" that I think we're allowed to mention here).

Mine:
-Fallen w/BRE, Obsidian Lite sound, BVA
-Dark Catalyst, Stunt, AS
Son's:
-Dark Initiate LE V4, Stunt, FO (x2)

kamoosekazi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 04:41:04 PM »

I don't think US currently has any guarded switches in stock.  I recently purchased a ready-to-ship saber and requested a guarded switch, and got a latching AV switch instead.  this has been a common "upgrade" for months now.  You might check with The Custom Saber Shop (the one "other guy" that I think we're allowed to mention here).

So... as mentioned in my OP.... they ONLY have Guarded switches in their parts section. No AV.
And, also mentioned, I've had issues with how long the TCSS switches are in the past.

I guess the important thing from this, is I was unaware we were restricted to mentioning other companies to get parts from.

Dominix v4; Emerald/Obsidian v4 - Liberator v3; Fire Orange - Dark Apprentice v4; V. Amethyst - Apprentice v4; Arctic Blue - Catalyst; V. Amethyst Obsidian v4 - Prophecy v3; Consular Green - Dark Initiate v3; Sunrider's Destiny

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 05:02:37 PM »

I guess the important thing from this, is I was unaware we were restricted to mentioning other companies to get parts from.

The rules you had to agree to before posting did specify no mentioning competitors by name. That would be any company specializing in Saber manufacture, even if they do sell loose parts. TCSS is allowed because it is not a competitor, it is a complimentary market focusing on just parts rather than finished sabers. We can also mention such places as  Amazon and Alibaba both of which offer switch he's that fit your needs, although finding the right search to bring them up can be challenging.
Google or Bing can bring you vast listings of 16mm latching AV switches for sale as well. You just need to see which ones fit the dimensions you want.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 07:57:05 PM »

What Firehand10K said.  :-)

I've never seen AVs for sale on the US site, honestly.  I don't know where they source them.  I would recommend a good old Google search or Amazon search for 16mm latching AV switches if TCSS parts are to long.

Another option would be to add an activation box.  Even a short box or bevel might give you the room you need for the switch.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 07:04:45 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't these the switches you're looking for?

https://ultrasabers.com/product/anti-vandal-momentary-switch-illuminated-blue/

#the-bad-starwars-quote-reference-joke-was-no-tintended

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 02:59:07 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't these the switches you're looking for?

https://ultrasabers.com/product/anti-vandal-momentary-switch-illuminated-blue/

#the-bad-starwars-quote-reference-joke-was-no-tintended

They are not. Those are momentary switches to be used with sound boards. He is looking for a latching switch to use on a stunt saber. Soundcards have a control circuit that keeps the saber power on even when that linked switch is released. In  a stunt saber that switch will only light it while held down.

That switch does work nicely with a momentary to latching converter circuit card which can be obtained from TCSS  for about $5.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 09:35:38 PM »

That switch does work nicely with a momentary to latching converter circuit card which can be obtained from TCSS  for about $5.

This may be the best way to go, actually.  If you want a short switch, anyway.   :-)   They take a bit of wiring skill, but if you're capable of re-wiring a latching switch you can do one of these easy.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 06:31:49 AM »

They are not. Those are momentary switches to be used with sound boards. He is looking for a latching switch to use on a stunt saber. Soundcards have a control circuit that keeps the saber power on even when that linked switch is released. In  a stunt saber that switch will only light it while held down.

That's what you taught me trough the youtube tutorial and a few questions right?

BTW, nice moment to award a point for helping me out.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 02:42:44 PM »

That's what you taught me trough the youtube tutorial and a few questions right?

Yes. It really opens up the choices for available switches. Plus you're already one step closer if you ever decide to add sound since it's already the correct switch .

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff