Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Wraith v.2 charging problem..?  (Read 2461 times)
Smokiewan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -7

What's with the darkside points people?

« on: February 10, 2011, 07:31:53 AM »

Hey forum.

I have a few questions for anyone who might have answers.

I set my wraith for a charge and it wasn't ready before I had to go to work, so I left it to charge thinking it would shut off once complete. When I got home, I clicked it on. While it was still plugged in to the wall, the saber worked beautifully. The second I unplugged it, it wouldn't work.

Thank the maker, UltraSabers included an extra Li-ion battery amongst all the goodies it came with. I swapped batteries and it worked again, so now I'm charging this battery and I'm going to watch the charge light go from red to green.

My questions are as follows....

- Did I just blow/overcharge the battery?
- Can it be overcharged?
- Is it possible something else is wrong?

Any answers would be great. Thank for reading forum!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:09:24 AM by Smokiewan » Logged

LDM's O.G. Anakin AOTC 616 conversion,'05 MR Windu ROTS,'08 HFX Dooku ROTS,"C.A.T.S"(Chewie's Auto Trim Special) US Oppressor v.2, "The Cheerleader" US S.I(Steel), "Billy" US Wraith v.2, "Gripz" US S.I v.2

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:45 AM »

One of your batteries went kaput.

Smokiewan
Knight Ensign

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:08:42 AM »

One of your batteries went kaput.

Yup. That's what I figured. At least it was the unmarked, blue one.
So, to re-cap for myself, as well as other Wraith v.2 owners. Overcharging IS possible and also not a good idea.
Good to know. Thanks Ultra!

LDM's O.G. Anakin AOTC 616 conversion,'05 MR Windu ROTS,'08 HFX Dooku ROTS,"C.A.T.S"(Chewie's Auto Trim Special) US Oppressor v.2, "The Cheerleader" US S.I(Steel), "Billy" US Wraith v.2, "Gripz" US S.I v.2

Smokiewan
Knight Ensign

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:04:59 AM »

Since the nature of my post pertains to my Wraith, I figured this would be the best spot for it. I figure that my recent colour problems are due to this overcharge situation mentioned above. (Colour problems here --->http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=185.msg8970#new)

I think I figured out what happened.

It was the wrong charger that fried the battery, and possibly the green diode in the orange mix. See, my girlfriend has a piece of electronics that uses a charger which resembles the Wraith's charger to a T.

The only difference is the sticker on the back of it.
The first.
The second.

I know the pics are blurry, but hopefully they're still good enough to show the difference.

...they look identical.

In another thread, Ultra has offered to take a look at it which I am planning on doing this weekend.

If one of you good folks has a Wraith v.2, could you please post a picture of the sticker on the back of your wall charger so that I may compare? It would be greatly appreciated. As for the saber, I suppose it was its destiny to return to UltraSabers, as my Oppressor had to return about a month ago (which reminds me... Grin).

Questions:

- Ultra, is there any chance I could have the colour switched to Violet Amethyst? Perhaps that way we can save the LED. Just switch the power over, right?

- Also, is there a way to darken the purple at bit?

Big thanks to Ultra for offering to check this one out.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:10:36 AM by Smokiewan » Logged

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »

Got to make sure you're using the right charger with those Li-Ions.  I can certainly change the LED configuration for you and make it a bluer hue of violet.  While I'm at it, I'll install a higher rated protection PCB just in case you grab the wrong charger again.  Wink  All the rechargeable sabers I build in the future will have those newer chips in them.

I can also change out the 3-mode driver chip for a single-mode chip so it just turns off and on.  Let me know what you want to do and include a note with the saber.

Smokiewan
Knight Ensign

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »

Got to make sure you're using the right charger with those Li-Ions.  I can certainly change the LED configuration for you and make it a bluer hue of violet.  While I'm at it, I'll install a higher rated protection PCB just in case you grab the wrong charger again.  Wink  All the rechargeable sabers I build in the future will have those newer chips in them.

I can also change out the 3-mode driver chip for a single-mode chip so it just turns off and on.  Let me know what you want to do and include a note with the saber.

Well, I do love the strobe feature. My friends call it the Seizure Inducer.
The only problem with the three modes, I find, is half-hitting the button and switching modes whilst in "combat". I'd keep the three modes, but if single-mode is all that can be done, that's fine with me. It will be a gorgeous saber either way, especially in the "SE Violet Amethyst" you described (like the name? Grin).

Anyway, I grabbed a box from the Swiffer display at work, and it's perfect size so I'll be shipping it soon.

Cheers.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:28:43 AM »

You can keep the 3-mode driver if you like it, I was just offering an option  Wink

I'll take a look when it gets here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: