Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Phoenix Rises  (Read 1305 times)
eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« on: December 23, 2012, 02:52:36 PM »

I had just an awful day yesterday. I checked on the forum around 2PM yesterday, and then went in the other room to do something else. Suddenly, both smoke alarms in my house go haywire and they are hard wired to the power with backup batteries - it's not a dying battery that caused them to go off. I look and see a haze of smoke coming from the computer room. I suddenly realize that my water cooler's reservoir had failed, had leaked on to the power connector to my new Solid State Drive, and my computer is on f***ing FIRE!!!

Action! The fire is out, the windows opened to allow the dead-computer smell to escape... my son didn't even wake from his nap. Phew. But the computer was on fire! Can it be rebuilt? The answer was yes, and the Phoenix rises again.

Reference shot of what it used to look like

The source of the fire

Another shot of the SSD that burned

And another one

The former location of the reservoir and where the fire was located in the case

Still piecing the guts together, but the DVDR drive is a little charred. It still works, albeit a little more loudly than I'm used to

Back on air, one video card for now, and with nothing put away... still needs 2 video cards and cable stowing, but it works!

How was your Saturday?

SMOKE ALARMS SAVE LIVES!
/PSA and brag

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »

Damn dude!  Didn't realize it happened so recently.  Glad you got it put out and the little guy stayed asleep!

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 03:23:16 AM »

Damn dude!  Didn't realize it happened so recently.  Glad you got it put out and the little guy stayed asleep!

The smoke alarms picked up on it right away. I bet it was burning for no more than a minute... which is crazy cause fires can spread faster than that! Ironically, what saved me was the cause of the failure itself. Over the 8 long years it served me, the reservoir was known to leak a few drops here and there. A paper towel on a dead DVD drive caught these drops for years, but today, they caught fire from the flames reaching out of the hard drive short. Fortunately, the solid black and orange glowing mass of paper towel was parked under the reservoir, and the liquid that was left in there absorbed the heat of the flames, even through the plastic. The plastic parts of the case near the top were deformed by the heat, but the objects on top of the case were spared by the reservoir. Well, as it's designed to absorb heat, res did its job to its last. I'm not saluting it though as it almost burnt my house down!

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: