Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Tips on darkening the aluminum  (Read 4631 times)
Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

Grey Jedi Consular

« on: July 22, 2012, 05:07:11 AM »

Hey guys. I am wondering if there is any good method of darkening the bright aluminum color to add some age look, and to make it more palatable? To me, the shiny silver on my liberator is a bit too bright for what I'm going for. unless it were like....Chrome...or something. I'm just wondering if there is a good way to sort of Darken the aluminum and add some basic weathering to it.  Thanks!

"A "Grey Jedi" is someone who understands that what is "light" or "dark" is what resides in us, not in the Force, and seeks to better understand the whole of the Force without any restrictions or preconceptions."

Darth Vapour
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -98

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 05:17:22 AM »

You could try dry brushing with black paint. Sand paper for more weathered look.

"WRATH" Overlord PO Obsidian
"ICE" Customized Liberator AB Obsidian
"Fire" Dark Liberator BR
Hasbro Vader FX
Aeon V2 SY, Consular CG,
"Guardian" Customised SI V2 GB
Custom built Shock CG with obsidian FO FOC
Custom Yari staff BR

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »

You could also use aluminum black. Just be careful because its a very strong chemical and you will probably need to wear a mask when using it.

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 04:10:53 PM »

Thanks, Guys. Drybrushing might be a viable method. How would I go about procuring/using AB?

"A "Grey Jedi" is someone who understands that what is "light" or "dark" is what resides in us, not in the Force, and seeks to better understand the whole of the Force without any restrictions or preconceptions."

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »

Havent seen him on in a while, but talk to Osmethae about it, I only mentioned the aluminum black because he used it on his Raven. Cant seem to find the thread on it though..

Aus_Jedi_Killer
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »

Hey mate take some 800 or so grit sandpaper to it just to rough it up slightly and "open" the aluminium up.
Buy a small bottle of birchwood casey aluminium black.
Either wear a mask or use in a VERY well ventilated area (ie outside).
Apply using a q tip/cotton earbud.
Apply a coat and kind of swirl it around at the same time.
After that coat has dried apply another. Put on as many or as few coats as you like for personal preference. I like using 3 or 4.
If you would like it to be a good deep rich dark black black dip a q tip into some black ink (i use printer ink lol) and rub that over the weathered area.
The weathering from the alum black essentially "absorbs" the ink.
Allow 24 hours to dry then put a clearcoat over it.
Don't cheap out and use crappy clearcoat. Get a $10-$15 can of either flat or low gloss clear.
Remember with your clearcoat to apply very thinly, dry, then very thinly again.
Don't try doing it thick and all in one go, it doesn't end well.
The result?
Some nice black weathering Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: