Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab Bag Review: Standard Issue Adegan Silver  (Read 14911 times)
Darth_Greyloch
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -2

« on: January 21, 2011, 07:36:21 AM »

I took the opportunity to use the recently offered forumite discount on an order of a grab bag saber with the following specs: metal hilt, heavy grade blade, random aside from that.

It just came in today:

I opened it up:

I noted the distinctive hilt design of the Standard Issue right away, but wasn't sure what color it would be, until I saw the color discs wrapped up with it. That meant it was an Adegan Silver hilt, very interesting. I liked the idea; silver hilt, silver blade.

(Heavy Grade on the left in Fire Orange Dominix hilt, Heavy Ultra-Edge on the right in Standard Issue Adegan Silver.)
Here I decided to start doing some comparisons with my previous blades (Fire Orange Phantom V2 w/ Heavy Ultra-Edge 24" blades, separated into dual Dominixes), swapping out the blades to check out the differences as well.

(Heavy Grade on the left in Fire Orange Dominix hilt, Heavy Ultra-Edge on the right in Standard Issue Adegan Silver.
The middle one is Heavy Ultra-Edge.)

Comparison between Heavy Ultra-Edge in Fire Orange Dominix(left) and Heavy Grade w/ Red color disc in the Adegan Silver Standard Issue hilt (right).

The color discs are a nice little touch, though it's true what they say about it in the knowledge base; they're not a replacement for single-color sabers. Some of the results were a little weird; when I tried the yellow and orange discs, I got light greenish colors. Red disc got me a pretty decent orange though, I think that's the nicest of the bunch. Other than that, the silver just looks better, but it's fun to try out the other discs and see what you get. The purple disc made for a decent light violet color.

This was also my first time swapping out blades between hilts, it wasn't too bad. The longer heavy-grade blade looked nice when swapped into my Dominix hilt, though I felt a slight wobble at first, then I tightened it more securely. It definitely isn't as easy to spin around a longer blade, I'm used to the shorter ones. I think the regular Heavy Grade looks nicer though, especially with the Orange color. It's personal taste, of course. The Ultras do look more like they are full of light, but the clear walls of the Heavy are a cool touch in my view.

One unfortunate thing I noticed while swapping blades: my Dominix hilt scratched the Heavy-Grade blade right at the emitter, I guess it's not entirely smooth in there. It wouldn't be obvious normally, but when swapped back to the Standard Issue hilt, which has an angled emitter, the scratch is rather visible in the front. It doesn't show up in the pictures, but I can't help looking at it. One nice thing about the Ultra-Edge blades: they don't show that sort of thing as much.

Overall I think both of the blade types look pretty nice. I'm leaning slightly towards the Heavy-Grade blade in terms of looks at the moment, but the Ultras definitely have their bonuses. I think part depends on the colors used with them too. I bet they look quite good in red, green, or blue, for example. I think my next Heavy Grade will be shorter, if I get to pick. This one's a tad long, though it certainly looks more impressive than my other blades, since they are just initiate-length.

I'm happy with my grab bag purchase. Money is kind of tight these days, so I'm going to try and exercise my willpower here and resist further impulse purchasing for the time being. I've got a nice starting collection here, with some interesting options for configuration. These have told me a lot about what my preferences are, and the info will be very helpful in future purchases. I'm interested to see what else these guys will come up with this year. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait, whatever they've got on the way.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed my review.

edit: fixed spelling.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:54:00 PM by Darth_Greyloch » Logged

Proud owner of: Phantom V2 (Fire Orange)
& Standard Issue (Adegan Silver)
Reviews: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=51.0
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=402.0

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 07:55:03 AM »

Very nice review. The Adegan Silver is a color I'm not too sure about. I like it but I don't. Does it look better in person? Most colors do.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »

Thats a very powerful Silver, I love the looks of it, its to bad the color discs dont work as well as one would think but in the end like its said they can never match the color of a single or even an RGB LED.

Good review my friend

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

Darth_Greyloch
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »

Very nice review. The Adegan Silver is a color I'm not too sure about. I like it but I don't. Does it look better in person? Most colors do.

Yeah, the visuals look better in person in general, shots with a cellphone camera such as I have can give some idea, but don't do them justice. Part of it is personal taste, of course, but I like it. I prefer the effect of the silver in the regular Heavy Grade blade; in the Ultra-Edge, it looks more white than silver. It's very bright too, more so than my other blades for sure. The color discs tone it down some, of course, but they're more for messing around with temporarily. With no disc, and the regular heavy blade, the thing is like a beacon of silver light. Pretty impressive, though the dark side of me finds it a tad holy-avenger-ish in appearance, heh. Still, variety is nice.

Proud owner of: Phantom V2 (Fire Orange)
& Standard Issue (Adegan Silver)
Reviews: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=51.0
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=402.0

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »

Like I said I like it but I don't. I'm not to sure I'd order an Adegan saber, but if one happened to come my way in a grab bag I wouldn't complain. Although like you said, It's different, which I like.

(Sig by me!)

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:36:52 PM »

Anytime I go to a gathering, I make sure to have a Silver blade with me.  But that's probably because I like the attention.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »

I can see why you would Ultra. It makes you really stand out I bet.

(Sig by me!)

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »

Okay, sold. My next saber was going to be a prophecy, I'm now leaning towards a SI in silver.

It does help that I was looking for a shien hilt too though.

Smokiewan
Knight Ensign

What's with the darkside points people?

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »

Hey Darth Greyloch,

About the scratch on your blade, there are a few things that can help with that. The easiest, and most efficient way, would be to pick up the Novus polishing kit found on the TCSS website.

I hope US doesn't mind me mentioning them here. I mean no disrespect.

LDM's O.G. Anakin AOTC 616 conversion,'05 MR Windu ROTS,'08 HFX Dooku ROTS,"C.A.T.S"(Chewie's Auto Trim Special) US Oppressor v.2, "The Cheerleader" US S.I(Steel), "Billy" US Wraith v.2, "Gripz" US S.I v.2

tiefling36
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »

Wow, i didnt think the silver would look as good as it does in those pics.  Very nice.

Copper Enforcer--Consular Green
Custom Liberator--Consular Green
Custom Phantom--Guardian blue
Plans: Bane RGB

Tengen Toppa Angel X
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 38

Logan Salazar - Tengen Toppa Angel X - Ultra 2

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 07:07:58 AM »

nice. good saber and an awesome color to go with it! though i personally prefer a black hilt with the silver, I still thought the standard issue with it looked awesome!

"Beneath the light....comes judgement!" - Cecil Harvey

Lightside points please

owned sabers:

Prophecy - Consular Green
MR Darth Maul (converted)
MR Luke ROTJ (converted)
ForceFX Luke ESB Black Series
Catalyst - Diamond Controller

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 10:30:11 AM »

It is definitely a way to make yourself stand out, most members of the Jedi, and Sith, or any other Force utilizing group don't use a silver lightsaber, except for the Awesome Imperial Knights:

I have a strong love for the Imperial Knights  Grin , so Silver is an Awesome Lightsaber Color in My Book!!!

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Tengen Toppa Angel X
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 38

Logan Salazar - Tengen Toppa Angel X - Ultra 2

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »

It is definitely a way to make yourself stand out, most members of the Jedi, and Sith, or any other Force utilizing group don't use a silver lightsaber, except for the Awesome Imperial Knights:

I have a strong love for the Imperial Knights  Grin , so Silver is an Awesome Lightsaber Color in My Book!!!

thats my next color im getting! Im hoping to get a dark War Glaive with sound and Silver. and the Imperial knights look awesome! i had completely forgot about them

"Beneath the light....comes judgement!" - Cecil Harvey

Lightside points please

owned sabers:

Prophecy - Consular Green
MR Darth Maul (converted)
MR Luke ROTJ (converted)
ForceFX Luke ESB Black Series
Catalyst - Diamond Controller

Stopher
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 10:45:04 PM »

WoW that is very silver. What batteries do you have in that one?

Jawaslayer4
Knight Officer

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 01:42:41 AM »

I think the adegan silver looks awesome. The pics make it look almost a blue. It's kinda cool. The first (and only so far )ultrasaber I've seen in person had a siver blade. It was a (dark)malice(not sure if they come in a lighter color. I thought it was impressive and I kinda want one for the color discs. Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: