Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 34934 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2020, 03:53:15 PM »

If I don't like the way that my first mask comes out....I may opt to get this and mod it a bunch...

repaint...more greebles maybe some kind of further Sithy designs.

That is pretty cool. I could see that working out well as the basis for a backup plan.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2020, 04:23:27 PM »

If I don't like the way that my first mask comes out....I may opt to get this and mod it a bunch...

repaint...more greebles maybe some kind of further Sithy designs.

Almost looks a bit like the Temple Guard mask designs. It's not quite as... sinister looking as most Sith masks but therein lies the opportunity to customize it any way you want. Good find!

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2020, 04:51:14 PM »

Almost looks a bit like the Temple Guard mask designs. It's not quite as... sinister looking as most Sith masks but therein lies the opportunity to customize it any way you want. Good find!

The overall effect and light do give off a certain creep factor. I could see it being nightmare fuel for some kids easily, especially if you could switch out the internal light/color. Repainting it would seriously make a dramatic difference... a pretty great option as well. I'm always supportive of trying to flesh out your original ideas, but these are pretty great too. Having multiple masks in different styles can serve a dual purpose as well. I had a core group of 3-6 others who loved to go to conventions, but were only willing to put in varying (somewhat low) levels of effort on outfits. Most enjoyed cosplay but weren't dedicated to putting together their own to the extent of time and money requirements. So having say 3 different masks ready could make for options for friends to wear, only having to buy their own robes and such. Or wearing different ones at different times. Even just using them as display pieces or battle scarring one like Kylo Rens sort of. At any rate, decisions decisions.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2020, 05:05:05 PM »

True, but it does seem to go quite well with the gauntlets/bracers he is making. Even without extensive modifications, just some paint design could go a long way to making it look unique, as you said.

I just ordered a long sleeve compression shirt with a hood, with the thought that I can swap out my turtleneck compression shirt for this one if I want to wear a mask and hood at times. I don't think a hood is needed for just the half lower mask I ordered, but having the option should be nice, and if I do eventually go a full mask route, a hood is pretty much a necessity unless the mask also has a full back, not just straps, which is what most of the masks posted here seem to have, just a few back straps. This would be mostly for future sparring purposes, to have a full face mask and still look good with it. And either way, it's always fun to have options and keep building outfit(s).

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2020, 07:36:00 PM »

True, but it does seem to go quite well with the gauntlets/bracers he is making. Even without extensive modifications, just some paint design could go a long way to making it look unique, as you said.

I just ordered a long sleeve compression shirt with a hood, with the thought that I can swap out my turtleneck compression shirt for this one if I want to wear a mask and hood at times. I don't think a hood is needed for just the half lower mask I ordered, but having the option should be nice, and if I do eventually go a full mask route, a hood is pretty much a necessity unless the mask also has a full back, not just straps, which is what most of the masks posted here seem to have, just a few back straps. This would be mostly for future sparring purposes, to have a full face mask and still look good with it. And either way, it's always fun to have options and keep building outfit(s).
I'd thought of the possibility of using a cowl (if that's the right term) in lieu of a full hood potentially. Since hood's are more common and have slightly more visibility restriction potentially/generally. I would likely use a hood mostly, but even maybe a cowl underneath with the mask fitted into it? Think similar to the habit nuns wear or even sort of like a hajib (if I got that term right). Like Darth Nhilius, KOTOR/KOTOR 2 Mandalorian's head gear, or some hybrid in between. But basically tight fitting to the head, worn under a hood or without one. Maybe a modified ski mask with a Sith mask fitted over & into it. So I could drop the robe/cloak to be all business while maintaining the air of theatricality.

Might be going off on a tangent, but you guys have fed me some wonderfully great ideas that got the gears turning.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2020, 09:32:32 PM »

I'd thought of the possibility of using a cowl (if that's the right term) in lieu of a full hood potentially. Since hood's are more common and have slightly more visibility restriction potentially/generally. I would likely use a hood mostly, but even maybe a cowl underneath with the mask fitted into it? Think similar to the habit nuns wear or even sort of like a hajib (if I got that term right). Like Darth Nhilius, KOTOR/KOTOR 2 Mandalorian's head gear, or some hybrid in between. But basically tight fitting to the head, worn under a hood or without one. Maybe a modified ski mask with a Sith mask fitted over & into it. So I could drop the robe/cloak to be all business while maintaining the air of theatricality.

Might be going off on a tangent, but you guys have fed me some wonderfully great ideas that got the gears turning.
Oh, a cowl could work nicely, but I think you'd likely need some form of shirt/vest/robe over top of it so it doesn't look so obvious? I guess my point is that I think you'd want SOMETHING to cover the back of your head if the mask isn't a full helmet and only has strap(s) on the back like a lot of the airsoft style ones do. I don't think a cowl would work with my outfit though, since it would have to go over the compression shirt, which would look strange, so ideally the hooded compression shirt fits close to as nicely as the one I have, so I will have the option of a hood.

Also, thanks to Galef's video and assistance, I built a saber pike extension, using 2' of 1" PVC pipe, a 1" PVC pipe adapter, a 1" PVC endcap, and a TCSS coupler, which had to be filed down a good bit and hammered into place with a good bit of effort using a rubber mallet. Basically, I filed down one of the two sides of the coupler, and then mashed it into the PVC adapter. Then I used PVC cement to attach the open end of the PVC adapter to one end of the PVC pipe, and then put a PVC endcap on the other end of the pipe, but this one isn't glued, so I can remove it if I want to. From there, I just wrapped the whole thing with some gaffer tape I had left over. I could do a better job on the endcap, but I think I may opt for spraying the endcap, since it's removable and easy to replace, and isn't going to really be coming in contact with other sabers where paint chipping off would be an issue. But I figured tape on the actual pipe/pike part would be better than spray paint which could bleed/chip off onto things it strikes. Plus I had gaffer tape, not spray paint.

There's still the little bit of white on the ends of the adapter and coupler visible from the right, or wrong, angles, but I'm not overly concerned with that, and I'd wager than just some black Sharpie would remedy that if need be.

Handling is about as good as one could hope for. It feel firm, and is still more than capable of doing saberstaff style spins, and the shorter length means even more maneuverability and speed, at the cost of one blade and some reach. But I mainly did this if I wanted to do some sparring or exhibition-type routines with someone else, so I can give them a standard saber and still have something more staff-like for myself.

Excuse the slow and cautious spinning, as my gym room is quite cramped for practice with the addition of the exercise bike, and also excuse my pretty bad farmer's tan as well. the video is mostly just to show the concept and finished result seems to work well:

https://i.imgur.com/fykLciz.mp4

Cost:

Coupler: $12 shipped
1" PVC adpater/coupling: < $1.00
2' of 1" PVC pipe: < $2.50
1" PVC endcap: < $1.00
PVC Cement: ~ $5.50 (although it will last much longer, and if you have super glue or something, that should work too

So around $16.50 if you don't need cement or glue, and ~$22 if you do. And you could go with a shorter or longer piece of PVC pipe as well, or even put the coupler with an adapter on both sides to attach more than one, or to serve to make a saberstaff even longer or something, although that would cost more money.

Edit: and probably $2-3 in gaffer tape, but electrical tape would also work just as well I'd say, but would just have a gloss finish instead of a matte finish. So ~$20 seems to be a reasonable amount to estimate it costs.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2020, 10:54:41 PM »

That's a pretty cool modification. Nice pet project to give you an additional weapon option in your arsenal, to train with, and as you said to give you a backup saber now if someone joins you in training.

What's the overall length of the pike's shaft from tail end to emitter? Looks approximately 4 ft with the 24 in blade for a total around 6? But you probably have it closer to 5 & 1/2 ft or 5 and my eyes are playing tricks on me. I remember you don't like a weapon that close to your overall height, so it is easier to wield and doesn't contact the ground as easy.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2020, 11:24:30 PM »

That's a pretty cool modification. Nice pet project to give you an additional weapon option in your arsenal, to train with, and as you said to give you a backup saber now if someone joins you in training.

What's the overall length of the pike's shaft from tail end to emitter? Looks approximately 4 ft with the 24 in blade for a total around 6? But you probably have it closer to 5 & 1/2 ft or 5 and my eyes are playing tricks on me. I remember you don't like a weapon that close to your overall height, so it is easier to wield and doesn't contact the ground as easy.
Thanks. The overall length from the PVC endcap to the tip of the blade is actually only around 5'. From the start of the thread on the coupler (so the part that isn't in the hilt) to the end of the endcap is ~26". So add that to around 12" for the hilt, and then 22" for the blade (24" - 2" or so that is in the hilt to secure it), and that's about 5' right there.

It's just hard to discern the length because I'm never really holding it with one end on the ground to get a good gauge of it's height relative to me. I'm comfortable with a length of 5' to 6' really. I have a 6' wooden bo staff, and also a few 5' wooden bo staffs as well, so I'm pretty used to those lengths already. The saberstaff with the QR coupler is still my go-to weapon, but I do think I'll occasionally practice with the pike, even if I'm not sparring an opponent, just for a little change of pace.

I do think I'll try to do something a little nicer with the PVC endcap though. The gaffer tape comes right off and leaves no residue, which is nice, although buying another endcap is super cheap as well. I'm thinking of some metallic spray paint for it, but we will see.

Anyway, here's the first minute of the 1:15 or so video from today's practice. I think it's up there with my best runs. There's a few stumbles and pauses here and there, but do you think if I don't manage to get a better run in the next few days, that this would suffice for a Spin Wars submission? There's another 15 seconds at the end, but it's more or less more of the same as what's in the video:

https://i.imgur.com/QomXOQ1.mp4

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #158 on: December 19, 2020, 03:24:58 AM »

nifty mod!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2020, 12:04:09 AM »

nifty mod!
Thanks! Here's some practice using the extension to make a saberpike. Not going too fast, since it's a little bit differently weighted than the saberstaff is, and I wanted to more get a feel for it than push the speed.

https://i.imgur.com/VPF6JYk.mp4

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2020, 03:28:34 AM »

Figured I'd post up my Spin Wars submission:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kHRwXC9dcQ&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kHRwXC9dcQ&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »

Got in my new long-sleeve hooded compression-ish shirt to use as an alternative to my compression turtleneck, particularly for use with a lower-face mask.

Fit is pretty good I'd say. The hood around the head is a bit smaller than what you'd typically see on a Star Wars type outfit, but I suppose that is expected for a compression type shirt. Worn on it's own, a tight shirt with a huge hood would be a strange product to to sell. I think it will still look nice with the grey/black mask I mentioned earlier.

Also pictured is a new and slightly different pair of Thai Fisherman pants in slightly different colors than what I posted in all my other images. So now I have two pairs of pants and shirts, with the long grey robe being the only main article of clothing that doesn't have a secondary option.

Anyway, without the lower mask here yet, here's some side-by-sides of the new outfit with the hood down and the hood up:

And one more with The Chilld.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2020, 11:13:45 PM »

It goes well, and is a nice option I think. It'll compliment that grey mask well in my opinion, and the hood size is kind of fortunate. Big black hood usually screams Sith to people because it obscures your features more and looks all menacing. This is a bit more balanced and fits in with your outfit.

Btw, your second to last photo... the set right before the last one, the right side photo doesn't have your hood up like the rest. So I figured it's an oversight since it breaks from the running theme.

Also, I believe your child may be adopted... if not you have some rather unusual proclivities I'm unaware of. But, I guess yodas need love too, so to each their own ideas of fun.

Thanks! Here's some practice using the extension to make a saberpike. Not going too fast, since it's a little bit differently weighted than the saberstaff is, and I wanted to more get a feel for it than push the speed.

That's not fast? I guess it falls into the slow is smooth, smooth is fast category then. You looked pretty quick and fluid, but I guess you were just "feelin it". All the practice with your lightsaber for SpinWars must have paid off getting your muscles and reflexes back into coordination. Dam you, you always make me want to train MORE; which is of course a good thing. Half the fun is in the chase and pursuit of power.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #163 on: December 22, 2020, 11:25:12 PM »

It goes well, and is a nice option I think. It'll compliment that grey mask well in my opinion, and the hood size is kind of fortunate. Big black hood usually screams Sith to people because it obscures your features more and looks all menacing. This is a bit more balanced and fits in with your outfit.

Btw, your second to last photo... the set right before the last one, the right side photo doesn't have your hood up like the rest. So I figured it's an oversight since it breaks from the running theme.

Also, I believe your child may be adopted... if not you have some rather unusual proclivities I'm unaware of. But, I guess yodas need love too, so to each their own ideas of fun.
Thanks. And good point on the hood. And good catch on the last split-photo. It did break the theme, but I did it to provide a photo of what the hood looks like down on from the back, since none of my photos showed what the black hood just resting on the grey robe looked like, and I wanted to post a picture to show it doesn't look terribly out of place. And yeah, the child is adopted. I've been told I have big ears before, but not quite Yoda size ears.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #164 on: December 22, 2020, 11:32:33 PM »

That's not fast? I guess it falls into the slow is smooth, smooth is fast category then. You looked pretty quick and fluid, but I guess you were just "feelin it". All the practice with your lightsaber for SpinWars must have paid off getting your muscles and reflexes back into coordination. Dam you, you always make me want to train MORE; which is of course a good thing. Half the fun is in the chase and pursuit of power.
Thanks. I mean, it was about as fast as I was comfortable going with it at the time, since I didn't want to drop it and wasn't quite used to the staff's balance yet to be super comfortable with it. Like you said, I was more just going with the flow of the motion here, not really trying to push the speed. I can get it going faster, particularly for short bursts, but if I try to push the speed too much, I end up making mistakes more often. I would agree with you that smoothness helps make it look faster, where if I push the speed, it can look choppier, which can mitigate a lot of the increased speed from an appearance perspective. I think the best approach would be to practice at a speed I'm comfortable with, continue getting the muscle memory down, and the endurance up, and slowly picking up the speed over time, with some shorter bursts of really pushing the speed mixed in for extra practice and to help get me used to it. But I know I have to keep the desire to go too fast in check, since form often starts to break down a bit with excessive speed.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: