Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 34934 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2021, 02:18:45 AM »

Yes, I had watched as well. No one would probably debate it greatly if you alter the color scheme, but use the same design. Similar to how various versions of the Imperial logo are in different colors on different armor colors or sections of stormtroopers.
Just made a quick edit of a black fencing mask with metallic silver Temple Guard style markings. Should be pretty easy too, since it's really just one layer to spray on, so making a stencil for it shouldn't be terribly difficult once I figure out the proper size. And mask off the parts of the mask that isn't the metal mesh of course. The bottom part below the face part would be black if I can find one. Or at least grey, this was just the best straight on image of a black fencing mask I could use for a reference.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2021, 12:39:35 AM »

Got some fingerless black lifting gloves to help preserve my hands while doing some spins. They seem to work well in protecting my hands without impairing mobility and the ability to grab, hold, and spin. I think they also work pretty well with the outfit:

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2021, 01:10:51 AM »

cool beans dude! Love the look! Just gets better and better!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2021, 01:56:37 AM »

Yep, totally love those type of gloves personally for their utility with a touch of BA vibe too.

I also seriously love the look of that mask concept so far, it'll look sick once you obtain and paint a version!

Since you didn't want to go off topic there...
I'd be down for a functional energy/deflector/elecro-shield. Hell, I'd settle for a less high-tech shield gauntlet like Kratos had in the 2018 God of War, where it looks like a gauntlet/bracer when not in use, but can activate to form a shield when needed.

I wonder if something like that would be doable. I'd imagine in real life it would have to be bulkier to hold what I assume would have to be multiple layers/levels that somehow fold or spring out to form the "shield?" But that would be pretty cool if someone could make it work.

It's possible IRL although a functional version would be harder (and likely heavier) in construction. I'd think thin segment like portions of a circle would be the way to go, all layered onto/above the forearm. Then they "expand" out into their "shield form" and "lock in place some how. Think like those fans Katana uses, except perfect circle. Outer edge of circle near wrist and central point/rotation point near where bicep meets forearm, not quite elbow. Now making that pneumatic would be the intense part (if even desired) and however it finishes it's expansion before locking/how it locks in place. Since part of their movement would likely go against gravity and the segments would be on different planes so "coming together" could be problematic if too rigid a material is used. I'm probably unintentionally drawing on something I've seen in a movie or game. But you said bracer style and this came to mind.

A quick interweb search yielded a similar result: not what I was thinking, and I've never seen the "Percy Jackson" movies, but this is close. Good ole youtube to the rescue with a visual aid of sorts:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8igMh8ycHg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8igMh8ycHg</a>

Because I was thinking more "fan style" mounted onto a legit full gauntlet look, based of what you said.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2021, 02:51:26 AM »

Yep, totally love those type of gloves personally for their utility with a touch of BA vibe too.

I also seriously love the look of that mask concept so far, it'll look sick once you obtain and paint a version!

Since you didn't want to go off topic there...
It's possible IRL although a functional version would be harder (and likely heavier) in construction. I'd think thin segment like portions of a circle would be the way to go, all layered onto/above the forearm. Then they "expand" out into their "shield form" and "lock in place some how. Think like those fans Katana uses, except perfect circle. Outer edge of circle near wrist and central point/rotation point near where bicep meets forearm, not quite elbow. Now making that pneumatic would be the intense part (if even desired) and however it finishes it's expansion before locking/how it locks in place. Since part of their movement would likely go against gravity and the segments would be on different planes so "coming together" could be problematic if too rigid a material is used. I'm probably unintentionally drawing on something I've seen in a movie or game. But you said bracer style and this came to mind.

A quick interweb search yielded a similar result: not what I was thinking, and I've never seen the "Percy Jackson" movies, but this is close. Good ole youtube to the rescue with a visual aid of sorts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8igMh8ycHg#
Because I was thinking more "fan style" mounted onto a legit full gauntlet look, based of what you said.

Thanks. Yeah, that's a cool video, but man is that thing pretty bulky, and not exactly duel-worthy haha. Still a cool proof of concept for the general idea though. I've seen some videos of metal ones that have some sort of "power" to deploy them, but they aren't really something you'd just have as a gauntlet and "forget about" until you needed it, so at that point you may as well just have a normal metal shield that weighs the same and doesn't have a ton of electronics if you're going to keep your hand busy holding a heavy shield anyway.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&amp;v=CJ0unSMWtsk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&amp;v=CJ0unSMWtsk</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCq8adZdKP4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCq8adZdKP4</a>

What's the name of that stuff that is like a strip of some material that is flat, but can wrap around something when you hit it? Just found it, slap bracelets. Seems like if you fixed the center of that, but had a larger one that was shaped like a shield when unfolded, to some sort of bracer/gauntlet, you could have it wrap around the forearm as much as necessary, and then pull it apart to form the shield. Granted, it wouldn't be automatic, and you'd have to pull each side out to straighten it yourself, and it really wouldn't hold up to dueling at all, and not even super vigorous movement, but it could be a pretty simple route that could look decent for purely cosplay purposes.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2021, 03:10:05 AM »

Yep, those vids you threw up are basically what I was thinking more or less. And since one said ironman that might be partially what embedded the idea into my mind! But no, you're right any "sparring capable" version would have to be durable as heck, and therefore likely "heavy" even if you opted for something closer to ceramic VS metal. Tempered glass or the type of material they make riot shields from might do it! But the structural points holding them together then become the potential weakness needing reinforcement. Kevlar type weaves would also be pretty crazy expensive... so  doubt you'd want to go there for serious edged weapon/low caliber resistance. Since I doubt you want truly combat capable, and even then anything in a "legitimate" caliber stopping category is again not really feasible without exorbitant expense and design capabilities. Sorry my mind always tugs toward warfare, light sparring style I say riot shielding level would be most applicable. But again possibly prohibitively expensive to even construct a prototype to torture test, although it would be cool since then it's potentially see through. So you can use it as a good shield without limiting visibility. Also the design leaves the shield arm free for weapon use too. Pretty cool, but I doubt Mr. G is worried about such horrifyingly deviant modifications since his ideology leans less toward the necessity of such applications. Dang sparring obsessed fools that we can be instead. I love his design, and will just keep imagining a Mass Effect style energy shield appearing from said bracer.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2021, 03:30:54 AM »

Yep, those vids you threw up are basically what I was thinking more or less. And since one said ironman that might be partially what embedded the idea into my mind! But no, you're right any "sparring capable" version would have to be durable as heck, and therefore likely "heavy" even if you opted for something closer to ceramic VS metal. Tempered glass or the type of material they make riot shields from might do it! But the structural points holding them together then become the potential weakness needing reinforcement. Kevlar type weaves would also be pretty crazy expensive... so  doubt you'd want to go there for serious edged weapon/low caliber resistance. Since I doubt you want truly combat capable, and even then anything in a "legitimate" caliber stopping category is again not really feasible without exorbitant expense and design capabilities. Sorry my mind always tugs toward warfare, light sparring style I say riot shielding level would be most applicable. But again possibly prohibitively expensive to even construct a prototype to torture test, although it would be cool since then it's potentially see through. So you can use it as a good shield without limiting visibility. Also the design leaves the shield arm free for weapon use too. Pretty cool, but I doubt Mr. G is worried about such horrifyingly deviant modifications since his ideology leans less toward the necessity of such applications. Dang sparring obsessed fools that we can be instead. I love his design, and will just keep imagining a Mass Effect style energy shield appearing from said bracer.
Yeah, his design is awesome. And something that looks incredible and doesn't cost a small fortune usually is for aesthetic purposes, which is still amazing.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2021, 05:06:14 AM »

Yeah, his design is awesome. And something that looks incredible and doesn't cost a small fortune usually is for aesthetic purposes, which is still amazing.
The whole concept sounds/looks possibly "ancient" Mandalorian. Or perhaps something a bounty hunter might use if trying to go low tech, maybe also because the random bounty hunter's race is into more primal styles of fighting instead. If blaster resistant it could be a "crouch down behind it" true style of riot shield/temporary deployable cover. A fun addition to some random outfit like that.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2021, 12:10:57 AM »

Got some padded/armored motorcycle gloves as a second pair, and hopefully something that would suffice for sparring. I saw a comment from Master Resolute mention them. Picked these up for $20 on Amazon Prime. Fit is good, enough mobility to spin staffs comfortably, and really nice and strong knuckle padding. The finger pads are not nearly as strong, and don't cover the entire fingers, but at the least they're a functional pair of gloves for spinning and at least light sparring I'd say. They also have a pretty sci-fi look to them, which is appreciated. I think they'd go well with the black Century forearm/elbow pads I talked about earlier for sparring. Which would leave the fencing helmet (and paint job) for head protection for light/medium sparring, and then I guess some form of shin and knee guards (probably the same Century ones if I like the forearm/elbow ones), and a chest protector for more intense sparring. No idea what I'd go for regarding chest protection, since I'd want something that checks three boxes: sufficient protection for at least medium dueling, not being exorbitantly expensive, and looking at least passable with my outfit.

So the plan is these gloves:

This style painted fencing mask:

These forearm/elbow guards:

Probably these shin/knee guards:

And SOMETHING for chest protection. Oh, and I also have padded football girdles with hip, thigh, and tailbone pads, as well as a cup, so I'm good there.

I know there's some pretty cool looking and inexpensive motorcycle/motorbike chest armor that checks the two marks of looks and price, but I really have doubts about it offering sufficient protection from heavy blows, and it looks like a lot of them cover most of the torso, but not really all of the stomach, which isn't ideal for sparring.

Any ideas on chest protection for my outfit that would look decent, offer decent protection, and hopefully not totally break the bank?

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2021, 12:19:53 AM »

Very nice gloves, got to consider a pair of those myself now...

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2021, 12:59:40 AM »

Hi SirLiftaLot,

Hopefully this suggestion might be useful. You could take a look at BMX body protection padding. It is lighter than full on motorcycle armour and cheaper but still has some decent protection (I would imagine).
I did a quick search and found these on AliExpress as examples.

This one was $44

Whilst this set was $34

Just some ideas for the upper body. I can PM you the links if you want.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2021, 01:35:29 AM »

WOW ForT, that is very cool! I'm tempted to buy a set and allow one of my companions (who can show restraint/gauged force) to whack me at slowly escalating levels to see how sturdy such padding truly is to direct impacts. Fear not, my safety concerns would outweigh the highest thresholds of "torture testing" the gear. IMO once you can "feel it" you know the protective ability is about at it's limits. Bruising should not occur with "adequate protection" obviously and most sparring shouldn't truly involve unrestrained full force at any rate. That kind of thing would need a next level type of armoring. This looks like a good alternative for light sparring I'm going to consider, especially if it comes in black & red standard issue. Bike/motorcycle pads have to feasibly be rated to 35-55 mph impact force reasonably by my assumption. I find this potentially very useful...

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2021, 01:55:30 AM »

Hi DarthProdigal,

The idea of using motorcross/BMX protection was suggested on "another Guys" forum a few years ago but back then it was really expensive kit (especially the sets that were looked at). But I thought it worth suggesting here. I also posted the higher price quote for each item and I'm not sure if AliExpress (or the other similar sites) have minimum order limits, as the layout of these sites can be confusing.

I'll send you the links to your Inbox.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #223 on: January 08, 2021, 02:02:24 AM »

Hi SirLiftaLot,

Hopefully this suggestion might be useful. You could take a look at BMX body protection padding. It is lighter than full on motorcycle armour and cheaper but still has some decent protection (I would imagine).
I did a quick search and found these on AliExpress as examples.

This one was $44

Whilst this set was $34

Just some ideas for the upper body. I can PM you the links if you want.

Thank you! That does help. I had just watched this video that was posted on the forum:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0lNWKlOJiQ&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0lNWKlOJiQ&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

And it looks like a lot of companies sell pretty much that same exact design of armor. It seems like a solid option for at least medium sparring I'd say. I personally like the sleeveless one, but also like that it still has shoulder pads, considering I already have some forearm pads on the way. I also think having forearm pads not attached to the chest/shoulders would help ensure a better fit between items in terms of size and length, etc.

I see this one on Amazon for $64 with free Prime shipping:

The ONLY thing I'd think would be a visual necessity is to cover the company/brand name on the "belt." No reason it can't be covered with an obi, or a belt, or even just by plastering a sticker of some Star Wars type logo on it.

I suppose it could be cheaper from an overseas vendor, but I think if I'm ordering something like this that isn't a premium brand, the fast and free shipping (and customer service) from Amazon may be a good idea? I do see the one you mentioned on AliExpress for $34 with free shipping. So that's pretty much half the price, with the "downside" of not having the ability to easily deal with Amazon for potential customer service, and estimated deliver on 2/13, as opposed to 1/12. Not really sure if the extra $30 is worth the faster shipping and easier potential customer service. Thoughts?

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #224 on: January 08, 2021, 02:13:57 AM »

Hi SirLiftaLot,

I just posted the two examples from AliExpress as they showed up fastest in my web search. I would suggest you go with the shopping vendor you are most comfortable with. This is one reason why I was hesitant and haven't ordered anything from AliExpress or AliBaba (plus their webpages could be a bit clearer). I did take a "risk" and ordered a set of Jedi robes from Cosplaysky but I knew I had a bit of customer support to fall back on.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: