Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: TENET: NON-SPOILER REVIEW  (Read 626 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: September 13, 2020, 09:31:18 PM »

PLEASE NOTE - THE FOLLOWING IS A SPOILER FREE REVIEW OF THE MOVIE. I WILL NOT REVEAL ANY MAJOR PLOT POINTS FROM THE MOVIE.

Christopher Nolan movies are now considered “event” movies when they come out. He has achieved a feat that only a handful of truly great directors manage and that is get audiences excited for your new movie without even knowing what it’s about. Couple that with the fact he is an “old school” filmmaker who believes in doing everything in camera practically where at all possible, and it is little wonder why his films always feel so visceral and real, even if the story is fantastical.

This movie was to be a big tentpole release for Warner Bros this summer, but we all know why that didn’t happen. However, when cinemas reopened, Nolan requested it be amongst the first to be shown on screens. How many other directors could make such a request and actually have the studios listen and acquiesce?

THE STORY
An unnamed CIA agent get embroiled in an operation with numerous duplicitous and shady characters with the fate of the world at stake, somehow linked to a single word…..Tenet.

OVERALL OPINION
In this day and age of filmmaking where CGI is king, it is great when a director like Nolan comes along to remind audiences (and studios) of the kind of story telling and filmmaking that can be achieved by doing as much in camera and practically as possible. While good CGI is essentially invisible, it is only when watching a movie such as this where you can tell everything you are watching was actually done on set that you realise how generic and same certain aspects of filmmaking (using CGI) has gotten. Without obviously computer generated images on screen, the audience is left to focus purely on the story, dialogue and acting. And when the action set-pieces do come, they feel so much more real and engaging because they are real.

For anyone that struggles with stories of a timey-wimey non-linear persuasion with a physics edge, then this may not be the movie for you. There are some concepts in this movie that I can see some people finding difficult to grasp and therefore lessening their enjoyment. However, for those who follow the concepts, understand and get it, they will be in for a treat.

At times the story seems to leave some threads that will lead nowhere or be left dangling, but Nolan does an amazing job of rewarding the more astute viewers with a film that addresses and wraps up everything, not necessarily neatly, but in a really satisfying way. Simultaneously, he manages to come up with amazing and visually creative sequences where time is going forwards and backwards at the same time, depending on the person in the scene (trust me, it will make sense when you watch the movie).

John David Washington is rapidly becoming a firm favourite of mine. He has great screen presence and is engaging throughout the movie. So too is Robert Pattinson.

Given the nature of the plot, it’s kind of difficult to say more about this movie without ruining anything. However, this is the second movie I have watched at the cinema in the past two weeks. My enjoyment may be elevated due to lack of films being released so far this year. However, I can definitely see me enjoying this movie in multiple viewings and will probably end up buying it on bluray, if not for anything else than the behind-the-scenes stuff of how the shot certain sequences.

THE PERFORMANCES
John David Washington as The Protagonist
He may not look like his dad, but he sounds a hell of a lot like him. Between BlacKkKlansman and this movie though, he is fast becoming one of my favourite actors in Hollywood. And on his own merits and not because of who his dad is. He is great in this role, doing a fantastic job with the action scenes as well as the dialogue, bringing lots of effortless charm and likability to the character. I really look forward to seeing what he will appear in next.

Robert Pattinson as Neil
The newest Batman gets to show that there is a lot more to him than just the Twilight movies (which, anyone who has followed his career and seen the movies he has done in the past 10 years can attest to). His character reminds me a lot of Tom Hardy’s character in Inception. Not quite as charming, but definitely cut from the same cloth. Anyone who thinks his casting as Batman was a mistake will hopefully have their minds changed after seeing him in this.

Elizabeth Debicki as Kat
I got the feeling that the role didn’t really stretch her as an actress. Which is a good thing. You really care for her and really couldn’t get a proper read on her. Likeable, vulnerable and yet with the strength to do what she needs to for her son, this is a quite complex role that Debicki knocks out of the park.

Kenneth Branagh as Andrei Sator
Given his propensity for directing these days, it’s always nice when he pops out from behind the camera and shows us his acting chops. Most actors agree that villains are the best roles as you can do so much them. I wouldn’t say Ken is in scenery chewing mode here, but he does provide a lot of menace of presence on-screen without having to raise his voice. Which makes him all the more effective, cold and calculating.

Himesh Patel as Mahir
I almost mistook him for the actor in Inception at first. But then realised it was the same guy from the Beatles music inspired film “Yesterday: that came out last year. He’s only got a small part here, but does well with what little he is given.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Ives
A small role, and a great and likeable character who does feel like something out of a video game at times. I only realised it was ATJ towards the end of the film just before one of the missions.

OTHER STUFF
The Score
I’m not usually one to notice movie scores unless they are truly exceptional or stand out. And, nothing really stood out in this movie for me.

The Action
Considering Nolan’s love for practical/distaste for CGI and the nature of this story, they really managed to accomplish a hell of a lot of great action. More than once I found myself being blown away with what I was seeing, because you could tell they actually did those things on set.

The Pacing
Faultless. Enough action to keep things fun, enough dialogue and great acting to keep the story moving along nicely. I was never bored.

The Cinematographer
Many parts of this movie look absolutely breathtaking. Although, more than once I did find myself thinking about certain locations in the Hitman game!

Other stuff
I had read a lot of reviews of people saying the sound mix was a bit off throughout the film; that the music was way too loud to the point some people couldn’t hear the dialogue properly. While it’s true that in some scenes the sound if turned way up, I didn’t find it above normal during action scenes of dialogue scenes.

FINAL VERDICT
If you like Christopher Nolan movies, then chances are you will like this. Some aspects of the plot may lose/confuse people, but if you get it you will love it.

Run time - 2h 30m
Rotten Tomatoes critics score (at time of writing) - 75%
My Score: 8.5/10    

MY MOVIE RATING SYSTEM
10- Citizen F*%king Kane (A+)
 9-  Bloody Great (A)
 8-  Really rather good (A-)
 7-  Pretty decent (B+)
 6-  Definitely above average (B)
 5- Middle of the road average (C)
 4- Mediocre (D)
 3- Meh (E)
 2- Crap (F)
 1- Why the hell did I waste my time and money on this abomination (Unrated)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 07:15:04 PM »

Great review, Knox.  I have to admit that I've been looking forward to seeing this movie (and not just because of Nolan).  Like you already stated: the time/quantum element to the plot is what really got me hooked.  I too like Washington (have ever since Ballers) and am looking forward to seeing this movie.  It's just too bad that the whole pandemic got in the way of my movie plans  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 07:16:50 PM »

It's great to see someone I respect their opinions on give a good review of this movie. I've seen such mixed reviews so far that I don't know what to think. Of course I never base my opinion off critics, but still. Besides, if this was Nolan's worst movie he'd ever made, it would still be better than 90% of the other movies out there. 8.5 is about what I'd expected from you on this one. I am really really excited to watch it, but life keeps getting in the way. I'll get to go soon though.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 08:36:53 PM »

Like you already stated: the time/quantum element to the plot is what really got me hooked.
The creative way it's used in the movie will blow you away (if you like that sort of timey-wimey thing)

It's great to see someone I respect their opinions on give a good review of this movie. I've seen such mixed reviews so far that I don't know what to think. Of course I never base my opinion off critics, but still. Besides, if this was Nolan's worst movie he'd ever made, it would still be better than 90% of the other movies out there. 8.5 is about what I'd expected from you on this one. I am really really excited to watch it, but life keeps getting in the way. I'll get to go soon though.
Personally, I think my favourite Nolan film is The Prestige. And yes, I think that movie is better than The Dark Knight!😱😁

I agree with what you said about a "bad" Nolan movie. I feel the same about him and Tarantino.

Many of the movies I review, I sometimes wish I could go back and alter the score I gave due to my opinion changing  from multiple viewings or having set and let the movie marinate for a  bit. But, I like that my initial score is my honest reaction from.a first time viewing.

I too like Washington (have ever since Ballers)
I read somewhere online that someone said he would make a good T-Challa, if Marvel decided to recast the role. Personally, I think he would be perfect. Not as a replacement, bit as someone who can come in and continue Chadwick's amazing legacy (like when Michael Gambon came in to play Dumbledore in Harry Potter).

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 08:52:00 PM »

Personally, I think my favourite Nolan film is The Prestige. And yes, I think that movie is better than The Dark Knight!😱😁

I agree with what you said about a "bad" Nolan movie. I feel the same about him and Tarantino.

Nolan is definitely one of the best storytellers working today. Honestly, I liked Batman Begins best of the trilogy, but I'm not a huge Batman fan. I haven't watched The Prestige yet, but it is one that I really really want to. I also really want to watch Memento.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 09:18:36 PM »

Memento is great too. I highly recommend watching both of them. Although, The Prestige will always win with me because it has Wolverine, Batman, Alfred, Gollum, Black Widow AND David Bowie in it!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »

Memento is great too. I highly recommend watching both of them. Although, The Prestige will always win with me because it has Wolverine, Batman, Alfred, Gollum, Black Widow AND David Bowie in it!

If there is one thing you can say about Nolan (there are far more than just 1), it is that he always has a stellar cast.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 09:24:25 PM »

If there is one thing you can say about Nolan (there are far more than just 1), it is that he always has a stellar cast.
Him and Tarantino do attract the best cast. And tend to reuse actors in all their movies.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 06:31:57 PM »

Him and Tarantino do attract the best cast. And tend to reuse actors in all their movies.
There IS something to be said about "Production Posses:" I feel that they have a tendency to create a beneficial synergy in the project that translates across the film and to my own enjoyment (think of Tom Hardy as first Eames in "Inception" and Bane in "TDKR;" I felt that Nolan's trust in him resulted in a superior performance.  And that's just one  Wink).

The creative way it's used in the movie will blow you away (if you like that sort of timey-wimey thing)

Many of the movies I review, I sometimes wish I could go back and alter the score I gave due to my opinion changing  from multiple viewings or having set and let the movie marinate for a  bit. But, I like that my initial score is my honest reaction from.a first time viewing.
I read somewhere online that someone said he would make a good T-Challa, if Marvel decided to recast the role. Personally, I think he would be perfect. Not as a replacement, bit as someone who can come in and continue Chadwick's amazing legacy (like when Michael Gambon came in to play Dumbledore in Harry Potter).
As you say: I'm looking forward to seeing "Tenet" for that exact reason  Smiley

And "The Prestige" is an outstanding movie, a remarkable cast giving excellent performances, producing an enjoyable viewing experience^^

O.o I had NOT heard that Washington was considered to take over the role of T'Challa (and I could NOT have put it better: "continuing Chadwick's legacy" is perfectly apropos).  Yes, I could see Washington succeeding Chadwick in the role.

It really is tragic: I feel that Chadwick was a phenomenal actor.

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 02:05:49 AM »

Just finished Tenet, and I with only one viewing, I think I like it better than Inception. I also had a harder time understanding Tenet than I did Inception. It will definitely need at least 1 more watch to understand it all. There were some parts/things that I called from the beginning, but that didn't hurt the story at all. I also think this is the least memorable score I have heard from Ludwig Göransson. I was sad to see Clémence Poésy get such a small role. I was excited to see her and Pattinson together again since the only other thing I've seen either of them in was Goblet of Fire.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: