Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 583   Go Down
Author Topic: Suggestion Box/Wishlist: what do we want from Ultrasabers?  (Read 1489268 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6615 on: September 29, 2018, 06:49:56 AM »

Am I the only one that sees potential for the new Ini's to be a poor-man's Satele Shan hilt?

No, surprisingly this is actually one of the first things I thought of when I saw the hilt. Surprising because I know very little about the Old Republic time period. I just happened to have watched the video of this scene a couple of times and was always drawn to the saber itself.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #6616 on: September 29, 2018, 08:01:42 AM »

We need to keep in mind when talking about the new V5s that these are still low end sabers and they have to keep the cost down on them. That's why I think the claws are not removable, the pommels still have the large opening instead of vents, and they don't come in blue, red, etc. They are all great ideas but at their price point we may be asking fit too much.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #6617 on: September 29, 2018, 09:09:15 AM »

We need to keep in mind when talking about the new V5s that these are still low end sabers and they have to keep the cost down on them. That's why I think the claws are not removable, the pommels still have the large opening instead of vents, and they don't come in blue, red, etc. They are all great ideas but at their price point we may be asking fit too much.

Yep, that sums it up nicely. The lower end sabers are intended to give you a saber at low prices that you can use for spinning, dueling, costuming, whatever. But, you definitely get what you pay for. There's nothing wrong with these hilts, but they will have less details and less customization options than upper tier sabers. With non removable emitters or greeblies hanging off, these are some of the best beater sabers on the market. Removable claws could cause failure points in a duel more so than permanently affixed ones.

Anything Prophecy and below has always had just an open pommel for sound venting. (I think the Brood Guard is open also) There's nothing technically wrong with these pommels, they serve their purpose. If you want more than that, you have to pay more. That's why all of those sabers have an option to order a different pommel when you order the saber. Everything from the Bellicose on up has some form of vent pattern, as opposed to the open pommel. Those sabers have a higher price point and are generally considered more suited for cosplay, though I personally wouldn't mind having a V5 on my hip. (or a Prophecy, for that matter)

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #6618 on: September 29, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »

I'd be surprised if the claws weren't to be added or removable. I'm not up to date on 3d printers and the new fabricators, but they could not be made that way on a standard lathe.

Look at the other established UltraSaber hilts that have claws. They all are mounted after fabrication. Far easier and cheaper to cut the channels after milling then add the claws.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6619 on: September 29, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »

There are several things on those new hilts you can't do on a lathe. They may be using milling machines. I've watched the video more than once where Emory is holding the actual hilts, and I don't see any screws holding the claws on, like you do with their other clawed sabers.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6620 on: September 29, 2018, 01:16:21 PM »

There are several things on those new hilts you can't do on a lathe. They may be using milling machines. I've watched the video more than once where Emory is holding the actual hilts, and I don't see any screws holding the claws on, like you do with their other clawed sabers.

Agreed. I watched the video several times and don’t see any screw holes. These are low end sabers after all and the idea is to keep the price point down

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6621 on: September 29, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »

They could also be made separately and soldered on. If done correctly, that will create a very secure bond. It's also less expensive than milling.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #6622 on: September 29, 2018, 01:24:33 PM »

Hi All,

I think I have solved the mystery of the claws. They are held in place by  a retention screw FROM INSIDE the emitter!

Take a look at the Aeon V5 on the product page showing the mouth of the emitter and zoom in on it. Look in the circle and you can see what looks like an 8/32 set screw. And if the profile of the ridge the claw is attached to is symmetrical then it may be possible to remove and reattach the claw flipped 180 degrees.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6623 on: September 29, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »

Hi All,

I think I have solved the mystery of the claws. They are held in place by  a retention screw FROM INSIDE the emitter!

Nice find. In that case, they should be removable.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6624 on: September 29, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »

Hi All,

Take a look at the Aeon V5 on the product page showing the mouth of the emitter and zoom in on it. Look in the circle and you can see what looks like an 8/32 set screw. And if the profile of the ridge the claw is attached to is symmetrical then it may be possible to remove and reattach the claw flipped 180 degrees.

In this case, then I’m even more ecstatic about it! Good find, Tyeth. Have a point

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #6625 on: September 29, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »

Nice find. In that case, they should be removable.

Just bear in mind however if you flip the claw then it will extend forward past the mouth of the emitter. The forward mounting face isn't going to be the same shape as the rear mounting surface due to the grenade section cutouts.

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #6626 on: September 30, 2018, 12:26:54 AM »

Going to retract my wish for a chassis from US. I had a class about economics where I brought up this subject and learning that the different types of sabers US sells, (Stunt, basic and advanced sound, emerald and diamond sabers), would require that US have many, many different types of chassis on hand, or make them on demand and drastically increase the time and cost of each saber.

Example: Stunt or obsidian lite with 4-AAA batteries vs 2-AA batteries would require 2 different chassis. Emerald vs diamond would be 2 more chassis. Obsidian v3 or v4 could use the same chassis as the lite with 2-AA.

Basically, at least 4 different chassis types, to be either mass produced to have on hand (and probably shelved for months before they are all used - big up front cost) or made on demand, which would add to build time, production cost on the back end.

I think I perfer to have my sabers look how I want, made with my options, for a relatively low cost and fast production turn around.

I think my works' CA people liked playing with the different sabers I brought to work more than seeing them as examples of different electronic setups.

P.S.: This was because I brought the sabers in for the techs to look at to see about how much to make chassis for them. How to make them, how much it would cost me, how long to make them, etc. Long story longer; it's outside of  what my piggybank can afford.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6627 on: September 30, 2018, 01:43:45 AM »

Not only does a chassis not make economical sense for what Ultrasabers offers, but it's really not necessary. The only setup where your battery pack is going to move around a lot is the stunt setup, and there are end user fixes for that all over the forum. In sound setups, the speaker and battery holder acts as a chassis. The MHS speaaker holders have that lip that gets trapped in the threaded area, and the battery holders are firmly affixed to those, so none of that is going anywhere. The boards are held to the battery packs with double sided tape. Can you break it? Sure you can, with enough force. You can likely break internals even with a chassis. You can break anything, if you try hard enough. I've certainly seen much scarrier internals than what Ultrasabers offers. Some of "the other guys" don't even use a battery or speaker holder that stays in place.

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #6628 on: September 30, 2018, 02:05:59 AM »

SFD79, I do agree now about the chassis.

I tried making my own chassis which would have no excessive wires. Either they failed my standards or were excessively complex. Or broke easily.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6629 on: September 30, 2018, 02:09:28 AM »

Yeah, I bought one off of Shapeways to put in a saber and it snapped really easily. I'll say this for the injection molded parts US uses; they're sturdy.

Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 583   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: