Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab Bag - Dark Standard Issue V3  (Read 2578 times)
Darth Unobtanium
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -33

You can run, but you'll just die tired.

« on: January 12, 2012, 02:04:45 AM »

So I recently ordered my first saber, and man, what a surprise for me. Given that I like surprises, I went with the grab bag option, hoping to save a little money and get my inner saber-fix. What arrived did not disappoint.

First of all, a HUGE shout-out to Ultrasabers for their STELLAR shipping. I ordered this on a Sunday, it shipped Monday, arrived on a Wednesday. That is, by far, the fastest I have ever gotten something through the mail.

As for the Saber itself, well, it's a beaut. It's a Dark Standard Issue V3, and this was a grab-bag. I can only point to the Force as my source of good fortune. The hilt itself feels a little chunky, but that's probably just me. It feels very good in the hands and soon I was effortlessly swinging it around like it was made for me. The black really works for me; I feel like just a silver standard issue would have been a bit too plain.

Came with a 36" Heavy grade blade, and Ultrasabers knows their blades. It felt good, swung good, and hit good.

I switched it on eagerly the moment I got it out of the package, only to find...it was broken. Nah, just kidding! One of the batteries wasn't placed correctly, so no big deal there. A small heart-attack later and I switched it on to find a wonderful Blazing Red LED. I wasn't sure whether or not I was going to be a Jedi or a Sith, but it looks now like I'm walking the path of darkness for sure.

A dark shot. It looks pinkish here, but I assure you, it's bright red. Bright, bright red.

A close up shot of the ignited hilt.

Here's more of the true color in the dark.

As a bonus, the power switch is red! A nice little cosmetic bonus Cheesy

Anything else to say? Well, the color is great, even through a heavy-grade blade. Seriously, it looks great. If you're on the fence about blade types, go for heavy grade. It may be a little less bright than a mid grade, but it's durable and beautiful. The hilt itself seems to be free of cosmetic defects. There were a couple microscopic scratches on the hilt and near the base of the blade, but you can't see them unless you go looking for them. Also the area around the emitted is silver as well, and really helps to accentuate the glow once it's ignited.

Overall, 10/10. I couldn't have asked for a better first Saber, and Ultrasabers got it to me faster than the Flash after a Red Bull. If you're looking for a great introductory saber, go for the grab bag. You will not be disappointed.

- Darth Unobtanium

Arsenal:
Apostle - BR Dark SI V3
Chaplain - SY Phantom LE V2

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:42:49 AM »

Congrats on your new saber. I love that hilt. The angled emitter is really cool. I don't really think hilts typically suggest particular colors, but the Dark Standard Issue may be an exception: It pretty much screams for red.

If you're looking for a great introductory saber, go for the grab bag. You will not be disappointed.

I strongly disagree here. I think the best introductory saber is the least expensive hilt that you think looks best, because it is entirely possible you will be disappointed otherwise. The cost savings on a first saber are tiny via the grab bag. Use the grab bag to tack on a free hilt with reward credits to your second or third purchase. It's great you lucked out with something you like, but it's certainly not a given.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

Darth Unobtanium
Knight Ensign

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:10:34 AM »

I strongly disagree here. I think the best introductory saber is the least expensive hilt that you think looks best, because it is entirely possible you will be disappointed otherwise. The cost savings on a first saber are tiny via the grab bag. Use the grab bag to tack on a free hilt with reward credits to your second or third purchase. It's great you lucked out with something you like, but it's certainly not a given.

I certainly understand your opinions, but when I looked at other sabers I could have gotten like the Aeon, Dominix, Liberator, and regular Standard issue (all of which have been spotted in grab bags), I noticed that I have saved a ton of money on this. But yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just very glad I got what I did, but I wouldn't have been disappointed by anything else I may have received.

Arsenal:
Apostle - BR Dark SI V3

Ghost
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -23

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:21:30 AM »

Yeah...I think you got Banes Heart?

Through Victory my chains are broken...

Darth Unobtanium
Knight Ensign

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 07:28:06 AM »

I don't think so; that looks really blazing red to me.

Arsenal:
Apostle - BR Dark SI V3

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »

Very nice.  The Grab Bag is a nice option, but like Navajas said it's not really recommended for a first saber (unless you really don't care what you get).  You won the gamble there though!

I have the DSI V2, and I too enjoy the detail on the black hilt.  The regular DSI is really nice too, but there's just something about the silver grooves against the black anodizing that looks great.  Blazing Red is, of course, a fitting color too.

Oh, and the hilt might feel chunky because they upped the size of it from V2 to V3, in order to allow room inside for the Obsidian board.  You could potentially send that in later on to have sound installed FYI.

Arcadius
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -12

Without emotions, we are powerless.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »

That is definitely Blazing Red - it doesn't photograph well, as camera sensors have a hard time handling red in general. Bane's Heart is, as I've been told, more of a Magenta tone - distinctly different.

The Jedi speak of freedom, yet know nothing of true freedom. They speak of knowing the force, but know nothing of the true power of the force.

Dark side points please!

Sabers:
PO Phantom LE V3 Staff
GB Blue Liberator (fiancee's)
AS Omen w/filters (dead)

Darth Unobtanium
Knight Ensign

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »

Oh, and the hilt might feel chunky because they upped the size of it from V2 to V3, in order to allow room inside for the Obsidian board.  You could potentially send that in later on to have sound installed FYI.

I think I'm going to do that eventually. It would feel awkward getting the sound-compatible version but not getting any sound.

Arsenal:
Apostle - BR Dark SI V3

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: