Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 238   Go Down
Author Topic: People you find attractive  (Read 977889 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1755 on: February 15, 2017, 03:39:28 PM »

EVERYTHING about Buffy was awesome. Charisma just added to it. Great character arc too, from Buffy right through to Angel.

I'll take your word for it. I never liked long running serials. After so long, they struggle to justify continued production. I prefer just to be told a good story, "and when you reach the end....stop."

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #1756 on: February 15, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »

I'll take your word for it. I never liked long running serials. After so long, they struggle to justify continued production. I prefer just to be told a good story, "and when you reach the end....stop."

That isn't the case with Buffy, even after the shock ending to season 5. And the same goes with it's spin-off Angel.
There is a reason Buffy is regarded as one of the best tv shows ever (I think it is in the top 10 out of 100 greatest shows of all time poll).

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1757 on: February 15, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »

That isn't the case with Buffy, even after the shock ending to season 5. And the same goes with it's spin-off Angel.
There is a reason Buffy is regarded as one of the best tv shows ever (I think it is in the top 10 out of 100 greatest shows of all time poll).

Maybe, but as I said, I don't like long-running arcs. Kinda like why I lost interest in DBZ. It just kept going and going and going. Cowboy Bebop was way better (for many reasons, but most of all) because it told a longer story in bits and pieces that unfolded throughout the its 26(?) episode running, even though those arcs weren't in the foreground of the episode, with a few exceptions. Like the contentious relationship between Spike and Vicious is hinted at throughout but only really gets brought to the foreground in ep5, one other and the finale. Come to find out, they were best friends until a woman came between them. Speaking of said woman...

Julia

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1758 on: February 15, 2017, 04:05:11 PM »

Maybe, but as I said, I don't like long-running arcs. Kinda like why I lost interest in DBZ. It just kept going and going and going. Cowboy Bebop was way better (for many reasons, but most of all) because it told a longer story in bits and pieces that unfolded throughout the its 26(?) episode running, even though those arcs weren't in the foreground of the episode, with a few exceptions. Like the contentious relationship between Spike and Vicious is hinted at throughout but only really gets brought to the foreground in ep5, one other and the finale. Come to find out, they were best friends until a woman came between them. Speaking of said woman...

Fair enough. Although Buffy isn't really an arc. It is 7 seasons spent with the characters seeing them develop, change and grow over a 7 year period. The friendship and group dynamic evolves (as it tends to do in real life) as they face the demon hordes and overall "big bad" of the season.

But if 7 seasons is too much for you, I would suggest just watching seasons 2-5.

Julia

Pretty pretty (I love how anime women look).

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1759 on: February 15, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »

Fair enough. Although Buffy isn't really an arc. It is 7 seasons spent with the characters seeing them develop, change and grow over a 7 year period. The friendship and group dynamic evolves (as it tends to do in real life) as they face the demon hordes and overall "big bad" of the season.

But if 7 seasons is too much for you, I would suggest just watching seasons 2-5.
That depends. Is each season pretty much spent telling one major arc, with subsequent smaller sub-plots from episode to episode?

Pretty pretty (I love how anime women look).
Her English voice also helps sell it. Grin Grin

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1760 on: February 15, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »

That depends. Is each season pretty much spent telling one major arc, with subsequent smaller sub-plots from episode to episode?
Her English voice also helps sell it. Grin Grin
Yep. Each season has one "big bad" and most episodes play into that arc. The smaller sub-plots tend to be about the characters and their friendships to each other and their relationships in general. And it does a great job of combining genuine lol humour, drama, horror (for a CW show), snappy dialogue and kick-ass action.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1761 on: February 15, 2017, 05:30:37 PM »

Yep. Each season has one "big bad" and most episodes play into that arc. The smaller sub-plots tend to be about the characters and their friendships to each other and their relationships in general. And it does a great job of combining genuine lol humour, drama, horror (for a CW show), snappy dialogue and kick-ass action.

Dude, The Gentlemen. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1762 on: February 15, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »

Yeah, that's what I don't like. But like CSI, where there were 2, maybe 3, cases going in each show, and most were resolved within the episode, that's what I like in a serial. Otherwise, just set yourself a limit of X number of episodes/seasons (or as you say "series"), with a clear intent to tell a specific story within that time frame, and give it a concise ending.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1763 on: February 15, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »

Yeah, that's what I don't like. But like CSI, where there were 2, maybe 3, cases going in each show, and most were resolved within the episode, that's what I like in a serial. Otherwise, just set yourself a limit of X number of episodes/seasons (or as you say "series"), with a clear intent to tell a specific story within that time frame, and give it a concise ending.
Oh well. Each to their own. I personally think you're missing out on one of the greatest tv shows ever. But if it's not your jam and you won't give it a go then that's cool. It's not against the rules (although it should be  Wink Cheesy).

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1764 on: February 15, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »

Oh well. Each to their own. I personally think you're missing out on one of the greatest tv shows ever. But if it's not your jam and you won't give it a go then that's cool. It's not against the rules (although it should be  Wink Cheesy).
If I remember to, I'll give it a shot. But the other reason I never got into it was because was because the overall premise just left me limp. It was alright for a campy stand-alone movie, but a TV series about a hot chick that beats up on a supernatural terror....? Meh.

But you're also talking to someone who thought that TCW was just "ok".

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1765 on: February 15, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »

If I remember to, I'll give it a shot. But the other reason I never got into it was because was because the overall premise just left me limp. It was alright for a campy stand-alone movie, but a TV series about a hot chick that beats up on a supernatural terror....? Meh.

But you're also talking to someone who thought that TCW was just "ok".
1- I've never seen any of TCW so I can't comment.
2- The tv series is TOTALLY different to the movie. The people who made the movie didn't get the tone that Joss Whedon was going for and changed it so much that it was totally unrecognisable from what Whedon created. The tv series allowed Whedon to put forward the idea the way he originally intended.

And the inspiration for Buffy was taking the horror genre cliche of the "blonde girl" who gets chased down an alley and killed the monster and turning it on it's head (the blonde girl is the hero with the power to stop the monster).

Best early episode to watch to get a real feel of the show is Season 2 episode 5 - Reptile Boy. If you like that episode then go ahead and watch all the other episodes.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1766 on: February 15, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »

1- I've never seen any of TCW so I can't comment.
2- The tv series is TOTALLY different to the movie. The people who made the movie didn't get the tone that Joss Whedon was going for and changed it so much that it was totally unrecognisable from what Whedon created. The tv series allowed Whedon to put forward the idea the way he originally intended.

And the inspiration for Buffy was taking the horror genre cliche of the "blonde girl" who gets chased down an alley and killed the monster and turning it on it's head (the blonde girl is the hero with the power to stop the monster).

Best early episode to watch to get a real feel of the show is Season 2 episode 5 - Reptile Boy. If you like that episode then go ahead and watch all the other episodes.
I believe the movie came way before.

movie 1992
show 1997-2003

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1767 on: February 15, 2017, 07:55:53 PM »

I believe the movie came way before.

movie 1992
show 1997-2003

That's my point. Whedon wrote the movie, but the filmmakers bodged it completely. But then some tv executives were looking for programs for the, then, new CW network. One of them saw the movie and thought the premise would make a good show. They contacted Whedon and the rest is history. It became a smash hit and a cornerstone of the network in those days.

The network allowed Whedon creative control to fulfil his vision for the character. He has gone on record many times stating that the filmmakers just didn't "get" it. He put together a great creative writing team that included Drew Goddard and Steven DeKnight, amongst others who are now big in the comic book movie/tv world.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1768 on: February 15, 2017, 08:33:28 PM »

Word of warning: Season 1 of Buffy is pretty weak, as it was a rushed mid-season replacement for a cancelled show. The show didn't really hit its stride until season 2.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1769 on: February 15, 2017, 08:37:06 PM »

Word of warning: Season 1 of Buffy is pretty weak, as it was a rushed mid-season replacement for a cancelled show. The show didn't really hit its stride until season 2.
I recommended seasons 2-5 for that very reason.

Over all I would season 3 is the best season, although season 4 and season 6 have two of the best episodes of the entire series (Hush in Season 4 and Once More With Feeling in Season 6, which is the amazing musical episode).

Season 5 has the best ending of the entire series (brings a tear to my eye every time).

Jev, would you say that's a fair assessment?

And, back on track:

Jo Frost (Super Nanny)

Ricki Lake (Go Ricki, Go Ricki, Go Ricki)

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 238   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: