Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultra Sabers Scorpion and grab bag review...first review vid, enjoy!  (Read 1878 times)
GreySaber
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« on: August 03, 2014, 12:48:43 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovTaaR6iv70&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovTaaR6iv70&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

So the vid has some formatting issues and I repeat myself a bit, but hope you enjoy it.  There was quality loss with the file type I used (.flv).  If anyone has any suggestions on better file types I'm open to suggestions.

I used Adobe Media Encoder to convert my iPad Quicktime vid to .flv, which took a while and resulted in the quality loss I mentioned. Any input on a better process for uploading vids to YouTube would be greatly appreciated Smiley

Also, how can I get the YouTube player to appear in this post itself?  The Embed options from YouTube haven't provided any code that previews (or posts) correctly yet...

If I convert to Flash, I take it that would allow me to have the YouTube player visible in the post?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:37:18 AM by Deep » Logged

"Between the Light and the Dark, there is The Grey.
Within The Grey lives the Masterless..."
Scorpion w/sound/AV Emerald,D. Prophecy v3 BR w/sound/AV,Initiate LE GB,3rd place raffle (?) plus sound/FoC/AV

julmax
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 75

A Sith... Hear? Bad Sishy, Bad Sithy! ...WOOSH!

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »

Hi, good first effort.  Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice regarding the technical issues you spoke of.  However, I do have a fair amount of experience with public speaking and a limited knowledge of video-ography gleaned from a basic film making course in college. 

(Oh...  and please, please, please, don't take this is being mean spirited.  I seriously don't have a mean bone in my body, and really hope that I'm not overstepping my bounds.  However, I got the impression that your truly interested in making good videos.  So...)

Issues and suggestions... 

First and foremost, the video was too long.  This however, was not due to any perceived rambling on your part, you actually speak and presenters yourself quite well.  No, I think the real issue was more due to trying to cover too much subject matter in one video.  For example, you presented the following... 

A review of the initiate LE...  A review of the scorpion...  An extensive explanation of fit and finish issues and things you would do differently.  (This was taken to the point of becoming a separate topic.) And finally a review of the Obsidian / Emerald options.

All of these topics which you covered are certainly legitimate and worthwhile.  However, try to keep in mind that most people have the attention span of a nat.  So my advice here would be to break up the subject matter you wish to cover into separate videos.

The second big issue is in regards to cinematic presentation.  A subject that is far too expansive for me to explain in this post.  I can however give a few quick tips...

Location, location, location...  Like real estate, a video presentation depends heavily on the location in which it's filmed.  Though I understand the reasons why you chose a hallway, the environment was far too constricting which limited your movements.  Or in other words, the banging of the saber blade into the walls and ceiling was far too distracting.  The sample suggestion I can give is the creation of a quick soundstage.  Don't fret, this is actually very easy to accomplish.  Just about any location will do as long as you actually have space to move around.  Then simply choose a camera angle that will give a clean background.  Or if this cannot be accomplished, simply stirring up a sheet.

Vertical letter boxing...  Simply put, it's a big no-no.  To the viewer, it's very distracting and should be avoided whenever possible.  Try to keep your presentations full screen.  Another aspect of your video that was distracting to viewers was the constant opening and closing of doors for lighting.  The simplest remedy for this is a constant ambient light level that is bright enough for general viewing, but low enough to show off the blade affects.  A more advanced approach would be to present the general review in full lighting, then cut to and from the saber being displayed in the dark.

Camera angle...  Biggest suggestion, a full size tripod.  Even a really cheap one from Wal-Mart.  Camera stability issues aside, having a low camera angle results in the subject--in this case, you--to come off as (visually) imposing.  This is a great thing if you're filming a bad guy, but not so good when you're trying to have a conversation with a viewing audience.  Try to think about what it looks like when you're having a face to face conversation with someone and emulate that appearance with your camera angle. 

As I mentioned, there is far too much to cover.  Sound issues, lighting, foreground, I can go on forever ever and only succeed in confusing the heck out of every one.  But making a good quality review video presentation is really far easier than most people would think.  The best suggestion I can give you is to look up some basic (on-the-cheap) film making tutorials on YouTube.  You'll be surprised how simple it really is.

Well, enough said...  In closing however, please understand this was only meant to be a critique and to give a few suggestions.  Regardless of how you choose to present your videos, or the subject matter presented, have fun with it.  Otherwise, what's the point...

All right, I'm done...  And It's time for me to go back to being wacky...  ...hear sithy, sithy, sithy...

GreySaber
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 06:09:38 PM »

Hi julmax!

Thanks for all of your input, very good points made!  I didn't think about separate reviews for the different areas I cover, and wasn't thinking about attention spans either.  I did notice on YouTube after I uploaded that other reviews were much shorter and covered more specific points in less ground.  I suppose I should have watched a bunch of the reviews here to get a better idea of what to aim for.

Your suggestions regarding the actual set up and filming aspect of a review are spot on. I didn't do much prep work other than lean the iPad against the wall on a counter and use the narrow space with the doors and lights to quickly change the environment.  I'll definitely arrange a better area to video from next time and look into getting a tri-pod or at least a much better camera position Smiley

Thanks for complimenting my speaking and presentation!  But you're right, all the other things you mention could have a huge impact on a review vid. And yes, I do want to make good videos Smiley

Thanks again! 

Light, or Dark side points for you sir?

"Between the Light and the Dark, there is The Grey.
Within The Grey lives the Masterless..."
Scorpion w/sound/AV Emerald,D. Prophecy v3 BR w/sound/AV,Initiate LE GB,3rd place raffle (?) plus sound/FoC/AV

julmax
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 75

A Sith... Hear? Bad Sishy, Bad Sithy! ...WOOSH!

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »

It's Mis, thank you very much!  But if you've ever "mam" me, I'll "bad sithy" you!  ...bad sithy, bad sithy... WOOSH! WOOSH! WOOSH!... Cheesy 

Light side, if you please kind Sir.  I'll have you know I'm a good girl...  No, seriously, I am...  Fine, just be that way then...

Oh, and you're welcome...

LeoninJesterXII
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 40

There is no Light Side, or Dark Side of the force.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:45:10 AM »

I remove the play in my battery pack by putting the black rubber blade-cap in between the batteries and the pommel of my Aeon.

This prevents me losing it, and it keeps anything from rattling.

There is no Light Side, or Dark Side of the force. There is the force. It is what its wielder decides. How a man uses a weapon does not change its nature.

[Also known as Darth Bael.]

Sabers
Aeon LE V3 in AB
Dark Standard Issue with vertical grooves in Bane's Heart [My mate's]

Darth Burgaar
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -68

Dark Side points Please!

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 06:43:25 AM »

First off, congratulations on a nice review! As a fellow (twin) Scorpion owner, You have earned a point good sir!  Wink

I agree with what has already been said by Julmax about your review, and have no doubt that your next one will be even better!  Smiley

"The Sith have no Fear and give no Quarter!! If you challenge them? . . then pray the Force is with you!"
My Sabers : Malice, Scorpion & Crimson Scorpion, Archon 2.1, Chosen One CE, Graflex CE (all Emerald) Liberator, 2x Initiate v3.1.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: