Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: What exactly is a BuckPuck?  (Read 6790 times)
Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 04:52:40 AM »

My sentiments exactly, a little off topic here and there is fun and understandable, but I think we've reached the stopping point. Wink Lets keep the posts about Buck Pucks from here on out.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Jenny
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 56

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 06:11:12 AM »

So, yes, getting back to buckpucks...

In my opinion, they're LED saviors.  If there's a voltage spike, or someone puts in the wrong batteries, or whatever, they save the LED from burning out.  You can buy them at most electronics suppliers, and pretty much anywhere you'd buy an LED.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 07:18:29 AM »

Real close with Jenny's answer.

A Buckpuck is a variable power supply that accepts a range of voltages and provides a fixed current.  Some of the Buckpucks can be set for a series of amps (current) and allow a variety of outputs to be driven at different voltages that are required to flash, flicker, or other...as long as the function current draw falls within the set limit.

Most of these smart drivers can handle 4-6+ different loads from the same power source.

Voltage is the power needed to do something...like drive an LED, sound board, or a stepper diode (flash)

Amperage is the endurance needed to continue doing something.

As for the saber technology, the high power LEDs are sensitive to power fluctuations so a secondary power source like a Buckpuck driver provides a constant safe power point.

In LEDs low voltage can cause a loss of function (like a dim blade) but low amperage can cause damage (like burned out diode)...so in the LED market current constant drivers are quite common...and some are quite small.

A great device actually.

Light side points please Smiley

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 09:18:57 AM »

We've managed to get way far off the topic of buck pucks, and it's still the first page?! I've taught you well. I'M SO PROUD OF YOU GUYS!

But seriously, let's get back on topic before we get in trouble.

Did you have any doubt, it's me Grin.      But Serious add on, when you have to choice between a Resistor or a Buck Puck are you saying go with the Buck Puck to be safe? Even for just straight stunts?       

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Jenny
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 56

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »

But Serious add on, when you have to choice between a Resistor or a Buck Puck are you saying go with the Buck Puck to be safe? Even for just straight stunts?       

I only do queer stunts. Wink

But I'd say yes, stick a buckpuck even in your simple sabre.  It's only going to run you $10-20 over the price of all that stuff alone, and it will save your LED from current spikes.  Some people might say, eh, I'm not going to protect a six dollar LED with a fifteen dollar buckpuck, but think about the time it will take you to replace that LED, after the sabre is all put together.  It's not a straight monetary cost!

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

DarthCooper88
11th Disciple of Masamune
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -248

Old-world crafstman, Sabersmith

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »

@ threadjack I can relate  Grin

"You have been forged in fire, tempered in blood & come out steel" Brave Rifles! 3rd Armored Cavalr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: