Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Which colors are what LEDs? - Noob Questions  (Read 5701 times)
navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« on: March 08, 2011, 02:53:37 AM »

I've read elsewhere, and seen pictures supporting,  that the Seoul P4s are much brighter than the... uh, other ones used here. Can't remember the name. Sorry. Has this been your experience? Regardless, which colors use the P4s vs. the other emitter?

Also, my kids have three cheap-o $20 sabers that we smack the hell out of each other with. The blades suck of course (don't tell the kids, they haven't really noticed) but the sounds are what I call, "good enough". I assume the massive $150 cost at Ultra for the sound options includes the cost of buying and gutting a Force FX model for its component sound card, is that right? Do you get the left over carcass? Are the speakers for the Ultra versions better? I also see that they have a service where they upgrade your Force FX product for $100. That's cool. Anyone know if I send them one of my POS $20 sabers if they'll yank the sound card out of it and install it in an Ultra model for some fee less than that $150?

I think that's all I've thought up right now. My 5 year old has some prize money he's looking to drop on an Initiate and I'm trying to decide if I want to minimize that $15+ S&H by getting one for myself as well.

Thanks for your time!

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

LINK
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 15

Its dangerous to go alone. Take this !

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:55:47 AM »

I cant speak for ultrasabers and how they do business but I can answer a couple questions.

Seoul P4 leds are a great option when dealing with leds. Luxeon Rebel Stars are good to.  P4s come in blue, red, white and green ( That I am aware of. There may be more but not sure. )  Lux rebels come in those as well as  Cyan, Amber & Royal Blue.  I have only used  P4's in white, red, blue, green and for lux rebels  cyan. So I cant speak for the other colors.

The $20 sabers are a great beginner sound board. I have put in a few myself and I like them. Caution though. There is a lot to learn on how to properly wire them and is time consuming.

Also ( and this is the only thing you asked about Ultrasabers that I think I can say )  If your going to get the initiate, dont forget the difference between a"Stunt" saber and a saber "With Sound". Sunts obviously do not come with sound and I can say from experiance and my sig at the bottom of my posts that  Putting a $20 Soundboard into a small stunt saber ( Although really cool ! )  Is not easy and can be expensive. I broke 2 boards ( = $40  ) And then the third was the charm LOL .   Anyway I hope this helped and Im sure DEEP or ULTRA will inform you on your other questions.   Good luck friend. : ) 

■A lightsaber wields no strength unless the hand that holds it understands The Force.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:05:35 AM »

Honestly though, I'd be willing to bet money your 5 year old won't care that his Initiate doesn't have sound, he'll love it regardless. I have an Aeon(a bigger Initiate) and I loved it until it's "mishap."

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

LINK
Knight Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:10:39 AM »

I totally agree. Besides, You said you guys duel quite often yes? LOL  Ultrasabers are made just for that : )   Stunt or not, his imagination will probly come up with a sound font far better than can be manifested : )   Wow, kinda makes me miss my childhood imagination. lol 

■A lightsaber wields no strength unless the hand that holds it understands The Force.

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:46:37 AM »

As far as the sound goes I'm mostly looking towards the future. I simply can't spend $150 on the upgrade, and it isn't even an option on his little guy saber. I really think Ultrasabers could benefit from looking into offering the cheap-o sound option. For instance, if it was available at $50-$70 or so I'd very probably do it. $30-$50 at profit for labor (they could probably get a volume discount, right?) is a lot better than the $0 we're both going to have to settle with.

My wonderful five year old though, you're absolutely right. Kid's been holding onto this money and decision for months... Snap Circuit robot kit, Lego AT-AT, fancy ass rock tumbler, etc... He's the most patient, deliberate, five year old on the planet. The kid saves candy for later!? Even so, he saw the LE Initiate and immediately wanted it. I said, "Now buddy, these sabers, they don't make any sounds at all." Didn't even have to prompt him, he instantly replied, "That's OK dad, I like making the sounds myself anyway."

Me? Hell, I want the damn things to hum. My friend's an electrical engineer though. Do you have a write up on what you did to cut in your econo sound boards? Do you think my friend could do it? I'm not really sure what he does, exactly. He designs circuits for Phillips, but I don't think that means he uses any real tools like we're talking here. Pretty sure it's slacks and tie and computer diagrams and stuff. If I got a Shock or Prophecy or something would that make it easier? Do you hook it up to better speakers? Would that make a difference? Am I asking too many damn questions?

Anyway, thanks for your informative and thoughtful reply. Would love for a Ultrasaber official reply to the color / LED used question. A response as to the cheap sound option would be sweet too. A guy can dream right?

The_Night
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -38

"If it's not fun, you're not doing it right"

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:56:30 AM »

I have a page full of wiring diagrams for the Obi Econo board, i'll PM it to you. I'm 17 years old and had never touched a soldering iron until i started the hobby, and i could do it. All it takes is time and patience, and a willing-ness to learn. And as far as getting a different hilt, yes it would make a difference simply because the initiate hilt is so much shorter than a normal saber. I'd say try an Aeon since it's the cheapest full size and it's your first attempt at modifying it (althoug be warned, i do believe any modification nulifies the warranty). And you can upgrade the speaker if you choose to from the obi-wan econo speaker, i'm not sure how much of a difference it'd make though. You'll want to drill some holes through the bottom of the pommel to let the sound out too.  I'll send you the links, check your inbox in a few  Smiley

Vintage Graflex ANH
Vintage Graflex ESB
Custom Hero LS6- PCU
JQ Quinlan Vos- PCU
MR Maul Staff- P4 Reds
MR Vader ESB FX
UFX Vader ANH- Lux3 Red
Larbel Obi TPM- CF v5.1
Parks Obi ANH

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:05:57 AM »

That's just awesome is all.

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:08:41 AM »

Not sure if I did that IM reply right or not. The link you sent doesn't seem to work. Sad

The_Night
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -38

"If it's not fun, you're not doing it right"

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 06:11:35 AM »

yeah, i sent you a reply, follow that and it should get you there

Vintage Graflex ANH
Vintage Graflex ESB
Custom Hero LS6- PCU
JQ Quinlan Vos- PCU
MR Maul Staff- P4 Reds
MR Vader ESB FX
UFX Vader ANH- Lux3 Red
Larbel Obi TPM- CF v5.1
Parks Obi ANH

LINK
Knight Officer

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:18:48 AM »

I can say from experiance that the speaker that comes with the $20 sabers are not that great of quality compared to other suppliers such as Ultrasabers. : )   I love the statement your 5 year old said about not caring if it had sound : )      Hope that helps and good luck on your build.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »

I've elaborated on our LED usage in past threads.  I'll let other people answer that, or you can search the forum.  As for sound, offering the Hasbro Economy Board isn't a problem for our MHS compatible sabers, and we're exploring that option right now.  Alot of testing needs to be done to ensure that the board meets our durability/reliability standards.  An issue arises with our Stunt sabers due to the diameter of the hilts not being large enough to accommodate the standard 25mm speaker housing.  This part right here:

We would have to manufacture a new housing for the speaker in order to properly offer that option in our Stunt line, which will cost some $$.  At that point, you may as well just upgrade to a Prophecy or other MHS compatible saber.

LINK
Knight Officer

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »

I've elaborated on our LED usage in past threads.  I'll let other people answer that, or you can search the forum.  As for sound, offering the Hasbro Economy Board isn't a problem for our MHS compatible sabers, and we're exploring that option right now.  Alot of testing needs to be done to ensure that the board meets our durability/reliability standards.  An issue arises with our Stunt sabers due to the diameter of the hilts not being large enough to accommodate the standard 25mm speaker housing.  This part right here:

We would have to manufacture a new housing for the speaker in order to properly offer that option in our Stunt line, which will cost some $$.  At that point, you may as well just upgrade to a Prophecy or other MHS compatible saber.

I can totally agree with this as my Dark Initiate V2 that I put econo sound in was a difficult task. While there is a TCSS speaker in it, it is not mounted on a speaker mount. The only way I fit it in there is super glueing the speaker directly to the battery pack. It came out nice and wont go anywhere but a Large manufacturing company such as Ultrasabers cannot rely on such a remedial set up. : )  It is a cool little saber though, and the 4 year old who is getting it is going to be excited! : )

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »

Well, I've been able to glean some info in searches:

"As for brightness, our red blows a stock Hasbro away.  There's no comparison.  We have the edge on blue and green, too, because our Seoul P4's are amazing and our blade tech is the best there is.  However, the difference is not nearly as dramatic."

That's all I've found. Anyone have a link to a list of what colors are which LEDs? Seems pretty straight forward information to have.

EDIT: Also, I guess I don't really understand the difference between "Stunt" and, uhm, what's the other term, "Show" or something. I know MHS = Multiple Hilt System, and I get the implications there. Does MHS then by definition != "Stunt". All these things look like you could drive a truck over them so I don't really get the distinction.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:46:21 PM by navajas » Logged

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »

LED Types Thread:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=178.0  Since we added Arctic Blue since then, you can add that to the exceptions list.

A "Stunt" saber in this hobby indicates a saber that was not designed with sound in mind.

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »

Oh, thanks for the link!

That makes sense, so, the opposite, or at least counter part, term to "stunt" saber is "sound" saber? They carry no quality or durability connotations? I guess except from the possibility of the sound card breaking or something. I'd imagine they are the most fragile part of the assembly. But again, this guy here? Knows nothing, so I could be dead wrong.

Thanks again for your time man.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: