Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Quick release coupler in combat.  (Read 8250 times)
Darth Umbrex
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -35

« on: September 30, 2017, 04:06:58 PM »

How functional would a quick release be on a saber staff in a dual. Is it pretty sturdy and will I have to worry with an unwanted seperation.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -26

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 06:05:59 PM »

I have one on my main staff. It's sturdy. The two hilts to rotate, but it's nothing you don't notice in a fight. If anything it's actually not the easiest thing to disconnect mid fight, and even less so to reconnect. I've had one accidental disconnect, mid swing my opponent hit my hilt, and sent one of them flying. That's 1 time in over 200 fights with it now, so I think it was a bit of a fluke. Can been see in this video about 30 seconds in. I recommend it so you can switch back and froth from staff to dual wield between fights without a headache, but in fight it's not the most practical thing. Possible, but not practical.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzIiEOzXYM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzIiEOzXYM</a>

Darth Umbrex
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »

I have one on my main staff. It's sturdy. The two hilts to rotate, but it's nothing you don't notice in a fight. If anything it's actually not the easiest thing to disconnect mid fight, and even less so to reconnect. I've had one accidental disconnect, mid swing my opponent hit my hilt, and sent one of them flying. That's 1 time in over 200 fights with it now, so I think it was a bit of a fluke. Can been see in this video about 30 seconds in. I recommend it so you can switch back and froth from staff to dual wield between fights without a headache, but in fight it's not the most practical thing. Possible, but not practical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzIiEOzXYM

Thank you looks stable enough.

The Force shall free me.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »

How functional would a quick release be on a saber staff in a dual. Is it pretty sturdy and will I have to worry with an unwanted seperation.

I am by no means a pro with it, but it is sturdy enough to use. I haven't had it separate without permission yet, but I also don't duel a whole lot. People like Darth Cephalus, RyanG83Jkd, and I think Samhain138 all use it and have gotten very good with it. I would talk to them and see what they think.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »

I am by no means a pro with it, but it is sturdy enough to use. I haven't had it separate without permission yet, but I also don't duel a whole lot. People like Darth Cephalus, RyanG83Jkd, and I think Samhain138 all use it and have gotten very good with it. I would talk to them and see what they think.

I must agree with Taegin Roan.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 07:31:46 PM »

I'm surprised there's documented evidence of it happening accidentally  Shocked

It's a quick disconnect in the sense that you don't have to take a couple minutes unscrewing a coupler to get two sabers. It's not a quick disconnect in the sense that you can easily disconnect it in mid combat without your opponent noticing.

The sabers do rotate, as Mimiaga said, though I think he should have said "it's not something you do notice in a fight" or "it's something you don't notice in a fight."

It works fine for combat, the only issue I have with it is one of personal taste. I prefer that the pommels on my sabers be the same diameter as the saber hilt, and one side of the disconnect (necessarily) isn't. Again, it works great, that's just a personal perference thing on my end.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:21:53 PM »

I'm surprised there's documented evidence of it happening accidentally  Shocked

The sabers do rotate, as Mimiaga said, though I think he should have said "it's not something you do notice in a fight" or "it's something you don't notice in a fight."

Th was my first time out with it too, crazy odds.

And yes, poorly worded. The rotation isn't noticed in combat.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 10:55:56 PM »

It works fine for combat, the only issue I have with it is one of personal taste. I prefer that the pommels on my sabers be the same diameter as the saber hilt, and one side of the disconnect (necessarily) isn't. Again, it works great, that's just a personal perference thing on my end.

This is about my only issue with it. Other than that, I love it.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Umbrex
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 05:43:52 PM »

Thank you all for the info I will pick one up and see how it treats me. This will be my first time training with a saber staff.

The Force shall free me.

Darth Vigorous
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -132

I am Darth Vigorous. My power knows no boundaries.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »

Cool. It makes sense since in star Wars Legends, a Sith would seperate the two blades during combat to surprises their enemy, such as kas'im did with Darth Bane during their duel on Lehon.

I am the nightmare beyond your wildest dreams. I am the monstrosity of mankind itself. I will Never be overcome by any being, anything, any thought. I am the godling of a new greater power of the Sith to be.
I am Darth Vigorous. Lord, grand and supreme, master of the Sith.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »

I use the QRC for sparring from time to time. When I first got it, I didn't tell anyone and surprised my sparring partner. I"d suggest mastering the disconnect before just going in. Disconnection = very very easy. Reconnect during combat = difficult.

Typically you have to create some space to reconnect....that being said, I prefer two sabers over the saber staff personally.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 05:18:17 PM »

I use the QRC for sparring from time to time. When I first got it, I didn't tell anyone and surprised my sparring partner. I"d suggest mastering the disconnect before just going in. Disconnection = very very easy. Reconnect during combat = difficult.

Typically you have to create some space to reconnect....that being said, I prefer two sabers over the saber staff personally.

Awesome! My girlfriend pulled off the quick disconnect in a sparring match. The other fighter was really confused, and he actually got hit with it.

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 06:02:58 PM »

Quick Surprise Coupler!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txpuET_HC9s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txpuET_HC9s</a>

Draq
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 08:39:11 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzIiEOzXYM

Woah. Some of the sounds in that video sound like the ones from The Force Unleashed. Found a zip file full of those a while ago.

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 12:57:14 AM »

Woah. Some of the sounds in that video sound like the ones from The Force Unleashed. Found a zip file full of those a while ago.

I pulled them off of youtube, some are even those used US sound fonts.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: