Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Legacy of the Aether  (Read 70479 times)
Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« on: December 21, 2017, 01:44:24 AM »

Legacy of the Aether

Prologue

I was twelve at the time…sitting around the fire on the eastern ranges, Karintha, Taran my grandfather sat on one side, while I sat with the other three trainees opposite.

Taran was telling one of the many legends of our past,

“She stood upon the top of Red Scar mountain,” he pointed over our heads to the north, though it was much too dark a night to make out the high peak,

“The legions of Sithari Demons came from the sky, scorching the ground all around the Valley.  But Aertemisaea was strong, and Aephrodaea compassionate.  She shielded the Valley where her children hid though the Sithari turned the rest into the Deadlands beyond the mountains we know today." 

"Yet Aethenaea was wise, she turned the power of Aertemisaea upon the Sithari and slew them all, their black chariots burnt from the sky.  As Aephrodaea then she told her children they were now safe, and set the Guardians over them while she rested...until the day when her people would need her to return.” 

He looked over the four of us.

“What can we learn from this story, what legacy does it leave us?”

Jarys to left of me spoke up first,

“That no matter what enemy…or even difficulty…like problem…we face, if we are wise, compassionate and strong…we can beat it,”

Taran nodded, Karintha replied, “There is truth to what you say Jarys, but you only focus on the first half of the story,”

I could feel his slight annoyance with himself, it was always about the battle for him.

“Perhaps the story reminds us how we have to protect each other, to use all our wisdom and strength like Jarys said to do that,”  Yorna replied to my right as she stroked Kiraea’s head, Kiraea was only 8 and had dozed off earlier on her sisters lap.

“That is true also Yorna,” Taran replied, but I could tell he was looking for more…and grandfather hadn’t said anything yet…that wasn’t unusual though…their eyes turned to me to respond.

I thought about the story and Jarys and Yorna’s answers…there was something in both of them…

“Maybe…” I began, “Maybe it’s that…it’s how precarious life is…I mean she killed the Sithari…but the rest of the planet is now all dead lands…she overcame them…she fought for her people…but…”  I tried to work out how to put my concept into words…

“but even still, so much was lost, our people survive…but only just…she gave all she could to keep our ancestors alive…her legacy teaches us to do whatever we have to survive no matter the cost,”

Now my grandfather spoke,

“Indeed, survival is all that matters, for generation to follow generation, there is nothing more than this…no gods, no fate, no glories, there is life,” 

He gestured down toward the valley, the river in its middle running like a black ribbon in the dark that provided the life blood of our people.

He gestured up the mountains indicating he dead lands beyond

“And Death.”

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:48:14 AM »

Chapter 1
Milaea

The winds blew through her brown red hair as she sat on the edge of a balcony overlooking the Chandrillan plains.  There was so much life here, not just sentients, but insects, plants, animals, Chandrillan society very deliberately tried to keep in balance with its eco system even going so far as to restrict population growth.  The force flowed smoothly here, it had a liquid feel to it, Soryu would like it.

Milaea breathed in the air, far cleaner than Coruscant, the green reminded her of the dreams she had of another world, one she couldn’t remember ever being to, yet she felt in those dreams such a call to it. 

She was there with her master Sofa Neirai to continue peace talks between the two species of the Hymmdra system, the squat brown agrarian Hymmdra from a gravity dense planet toward the centre of the system and the tall Kykamma of a moon in the outer system.  The Kykamma were traders and space farers selling food grown by the Hymmdra, the problems had begun when off world traders contacted the Hymmdra directly and they discovered the Kykaama had been making extreme profits off them, in addition to forcing many Hymmdra into growing cash crops leading to food shortages. 

She and her master had visited both worlds arranging for peace talks on Chandrilla, with the meetings scheduled for tomorrow.  It would be up to her to keep an eye on things while Sofa mediated the talks…she just hoped she did it well…Sofa and Soryu had both indicated she was close to being ready for the trials, if she did well it might give her a chance…yet she was ambivalent about it…a part of her that told her this was not for her…but then Soryu had said all Jedi faced such doubts, even he did as a master sometimes…it was only natural to worry about such a big change.

She stood up and ran her hands through her long hair then stretched out. The wind picked up as the sun set over the green hills, she closed her eyes and felt it against her face.  She took her lightsabre and ignited it, moving gracefully to practice her Circle of Shelter in Soresu, before rapidly shifting to the Sabre stance of Ataru, the force flowed so easily here, she could feel the crystal in her violet sabre an extension of her-self. 

Here she could easily mesh the forms while her mind was clear and unhurried.  Soryu had often given her private lessons at the Temple when she was young, sometimes with Knight Valens.  Soryu had always been fond of her, and as one of the best swordsman of the order it had given her a huge edge in her training.  But sometimes when she was really annoyed or tired she seemed to lose her normal forms and revert to some kind of strange style all of her own, it was savage and unpredictable, but very effective.  Soryu had told her to remain centred in training, it was just her annoyance taking hold.  Somehow it felt like more than that.

“Think fast,” Sofa’s voice came from behind her, Milaea spun sabre in mid guard and angled it to cut into whatever she suddenly sensed coming at her, a bright red fruit turned to ash and vapour as it hit her blade.  She shifted back a step into something squishy, only then did she see the second fruit behind her.

“You need to tighten up your stance, I could’ve thrown anything between those legs,” Sofa jibed playfully

“Like what,” Milaea pushed her for an embarrassing answer to the double entendre she had set up

“Like a grenade, a disc mine, a smoke canister….”

Milaea scrunched her face and poked her tongue out, Sofa replied in kind,

“It’s your legs Mili, get them blown off if you like,”  She picked up another fruit, “come on in, dinners ready,”

********************************************************************************************************
He was lying on the cold altar, she was on top of him…but there wasn’t the same enjoyment…he couldn’t keep up anymore…he needed to be remade…

He was on it again, she was beside him, red lines flowing from her fingers as he liquefied. 

The two scenes flickered, one moment she was enrapt in pleasure on the altar, the next she was melting the same man into a bloody slurry.  Red was everywhere…the blood, the lines, the fire around her….

He was stuck, a child…a baby…she tried to push him to grow back up, she wanted the pleasure again….he stayed the same…

Screaming…”They’ve found us…they’ve founds us…” an unseen force pulled at her stomach, lurching her away into a blazing yellow and orange conflagration sprinkled with metal, ferrocrete, and blackened bodies…
“You’ll die for this,” she screamed with a voice, a will not her own

Awake, she panted, a thin sweat covered her…she calmed herself by breathing very slowly, deeply and deliberately, she had had the dream a hundred times, but it still left her shaken.  Soryu had once joked they weren’t dreams but memories of a past life, Milaea hoped not, some of them were terrifying…the worst of them…she had never told anyone about what happened in them, not Soryu, not Yoda, not even Sofa…

Not that they were all bad, some were…enjoyable….she’d find herself with one, two sometimes three other women, or that man…it left her…’stimulated’ was the euphemism Sofa used…Those dreams she had tried to hide as well, but on Dathomir she had an especially vivid one while sharing a tent with Sofa.  Sofa - much more like an older sister than a master -had told her it was natural for girls of her age to have that kind of dream and laughed it off…still it left an odd feeing…it was like the women in those dreams were being somehow controlled by her. 

She sat up and turned to the small table, drinking from the glass she had left, trying to shake the thoughts out of her head.  Tomorrow was a big day, she needed the rest.  Pulling her red hair back out of her face she lay back.  It was so peaceful on Chandrilla she thought as she drifted back to sleep.
********************************************************************************************************
The room was laid out with three curved tables, one in the centre facing the main door with a window behind it, one on either side facing each other.  Sofa and two Chandrillan negotiators sat in the centre, the Hymmdr to her left, the Kykamma to her right, each with three negotiators of various odd formal titles.  Milaea stood in the far left corner from Sofa watching proceeding, the only security there in fact, Chandrillans were not known for their guards, and no violence was expected.

Sofa opened the talks, “Welcome all we are here to discuss a permanent solution to end the suffering on both sides of this conflict, I recognised both parties have suffered losses….”

Milaea tuned out of the words and focused on the force surrounding each of the participants.  Sofa and the mediators were calm and controlled, of the Kykamma one was open and willing, another slightly indifferent, the last openly disdainful, leeching disgust at the situation.   The Hymmdr, two were fairly calm, but intent on their purpose, they wanted a solution…but not at any cost, it needed to be fair…she could feel the anger of generations of exploitation, an undercurrent they tried to suppress in the hopes of a better future…the third however was oddly anxious, a jagged edge in the force like a pivot point.

She followed his bulbous anxious eyes to the corner opposite her behind the Kykamma…there she saw it - a firm moving shadow behind a pillar…she sensed the murderous intent…but what was she supposed to do…whoever was behind that pillar had done nothing wrong as yet…there were no restrictions on who could be here, an intent was not an action…a Jedi used their powers for defence never for attack.  Her heart pumped faster as the shadow moved towards the Kykamma in sleek precise motions.

A glint of light against a blade, the assassin was fast, but Milaea was faster, as it flew toward the Kykamma she deflected it with the force into the table, the Kykamma jumped in fright, the assassin plunged out and charged two daggers in hand,

She could finally see the attacker, a noghri.  Milaea had seen them in school holovids, but never one in person…although the same could be said of a thousand different species across the galaxy.

She leapt forward, sped by the force her blade flicking to her hand.  Before the Nogrhi could reach its targets she slammed her fist holding her blade into its shoulder, knocking it off course.  It turned and slashed but she dodged avoiding the lethal blades.  Behind him Sofa was up and her sabre glowing blue, she could sense the Noghri’s reluctance to go on, this was more trouble than it was worth and he knew it.

He pivoted back and with a rapid flick of his arm detached a small metal object from his belt before fleeing to the window.  Milaea reached for the grenade in the force but its timer was near instant, the explosions ripped out.  With every ounce of concentration she held it back creating a field of telekinetic energy around the explosion the size of a large ball, her legs following the nogrhi automatically as he crashed through the window.

The contained explosion died out as she leapt out of the window. As she fell down after the nogrhi she sensed terror and amazement in the people she had left behind. It was not the first time…sometimes she did things like that with the force, things she didn’t’ even know she knew how to do until after doing it.

She landed knees bent from the two storey drop to see the Nogrhi 10 metres ahead, he was fast.  She gave chase, his physiology would give him too much of an advantage over distances, she need to get him soon and alive.  As strollers jumped to the side to avoid his headlong charge she picked out the trees along the side of the foot path and with a thought uprooted them into his path.  He leapt and ducked to avoid them with unusual grace, but it gave her the time she need to make the distance up, as he leapt over the last tree he didn’t touch the ground again.

Suspended in mid-air he started to panic, she leapt the distance between them and planted a heavy pommel strike on the back of his head.
“They were embarrassed enough that they decided to agree to the compact largely unchanged,”  Sofa said as they walked along the tree lined promenade, after the incident they had quickly come to an agreement, but Milaea had been near enough to feel their emotions of both parties as they left.

“They’ll never accept it though…neither side…the Hymmdr still feel exploited, the Kykamma still feel entitled…no signed accord will change that…” Milaea noted sadly

“You don’t think a political solution will work?”

“No…the problem wasn’t political, it was economic, social, racial…soon enough things will be back where we are now unless they majorly change their opinions and ways of doing business…their very culture,”

Sofa smiled sadly, “That’s true Mili…unfortunately…but we have to hope each little step moves us toward that end…that why the Jedi have been around so long…those changes take time,”

Milaea looked to the empty skies, “Sometimes I don’t think they really change at all…”

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »

I remember when Phantom Menace came out and thinking "Trade negotiations? How can this be interesting?"  Well LSG, your newest chapter proves that you can have trade negotiations as an interesting setting in the SW universe.  THIS is what Lucas should have done.

Milaea is an excellent character: despite being raised a Jedi, even she knows that she is...more.  But...she's ALSO more than Aethan.  She has a set of morals much different than her people.  Wonderful dichotomy!

Great seeing Sofa again; I would not have expected her to be Milaea's Jedi master.  I like it  Smiley. Fantastic writing LSG!

Until next installment friends  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »

Aggressive negotiations:  Negotiations with a lightsaber.  LOL

I have to echo Dutchman.  Milaea is very different than the other Aethans.  Loved the nod to Soryu and it was great to see Sofa again.  :-)  also got a glimpse of Valens there....   I have to wonder, how much of the Jedi teachings will rub off on Valens?  He was a fully trained Guardian before he became a Jedi, and he's basically "under cover" with the Jedi, but you can't be exposed to any moral standard for a long time without there being some effect.  Especially not with people like Soryu and Yoda around, people who would serve as very compelling role models, even for someone who doesn't fundamentally agree with them.

The last little part of this feels like a statement of the coming conflict of the story as well.  Just what is the Legacy of the Aethans?  What is Valens' plan?  Is Valen a Mibari or not...  Oh, wait, no, that's a different Valen...

;-)

Sorry, had to inject a little humor.  LOL  Just noticed the similarity of the name to B5 and wondered if it was intentional.  These things slip out of me... 

ANYWAY...  Yes, great chapter.  Also, again, feels a little lighter than the first offerings, but that's probably a good thing I think. :-)

Karm

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:25:12 PM »

Aggressive negotiations:  Negotiations with a lightsaber.  LOL

I have to echo Dutchman.  Milaea is very different than the other Aethans.  Loved the nod to Soryu and it was great to see Sofa again.  :-)  also got a glimpse of Valens there....   I have to wonder, how much of the Jedi teachings will rub off on Valens?  He was a fully trained Guardian before he became a Jedi, and he's basically "under cover" with the Jedi, but you can't be exposed to any moral standard for a long time without there being some effect.  Especially not with people like Soryu and Yoda around, people who would serve as very compelling role models, even for someone who doesn't fundamentally agree with them.

The last little part of this feels like a statement of the coming conflict of the story as well.  Just what is the Legacy of the Aethans?  What is Valens' plan?  Is Valen a Mibari or not...  Oh, wait, no, that's a different Valen...

;-)

Sorry, had to inject a little humor.  LOL  Just noticed the similarity of the name to B5 and wondered if it was intentional.  These things slip out of me... 

ANYWAY...  Yes, great chapter.  Also, again, feels a little lighter than the first offerings, but that's probably a good thing I think. :-)

Karm

Feels lighter! I'll have to do something about that....
Yes she's quite different, with Valens, Jarys and Kiraea already another one like them would be too similar...plus such a difference drives the story.....

Lord_S_Gray

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »

Chapter 2
Jarys
“Unchained this is Vorynx, going silent, copy,”

“Copy Vorynx, good hunting, over and out,”

The comm died with a click, the lights in the cockpit followed.   He arced over the crest of one of the innumerable craters that dotted the moon, the ashen grey dirt barely a hundred metres below, the thin atmosphere a pale blue against the stars.  

The pallid yellow of the instruments tracked the progress to the target.  At the 20 klik mark he signalled his team with a thought in the aether. Near.  

Behind him he heard armour lock and magazines clip.  With a thought his own helmet locked in place as he rose.  He continued piloting the ship using the aether as he headed to the ramp and picked up his rifle.

He checked its battery, 94% charge.  He felt the presence of his two companions behind him as he mentally lowered the ship down in the centre of a smaller crater near the target.  

Gases hissed out as the ramp lowered and he stepped foot on the soft sand.  Gravity was lower than usual here, but the bulk of his armour kept his fairly grounded, and where that didn’t work there was always the aether.  The moved up the sides of the crater to the lip, the male on his right stepped ahead and crouched with his macro binoculars to take a look.

His armour was only a few shades darker than the dirt here, but on the shoulder was a dirty worn yellow with a sigil of a Vorynx breaking from its cage.

“No signs of alert, approach looks clear,”  Maeson said with scratchy tones.  Jarys had met Maeson on Chorvi VI, the main base of the Sons of Kessel, three years after joining, he’d been liberated from slavery in red marble mines whose dust had left him with a scratchy voice.  He was the first other Aethan Jarys had found alive, recognising him from the gathering so long ago Maeson had immediately obeyed Jarys as all Aethans must do before a Guardian.  He had been a farmer when the slavers came, father to two children, they along with his wife had been taken on a separate ship and he had not seen them in the 20 years since.  Now he served as the anvil of their team, Jarys the hammer.

“Selaena, take position there,” he directed with the aether to the third member of the team, and the only other Aethan he had found.  They had found Selaena literally chained to a bed in a brothel on Toydaria, sedated out of her mind for likely the whole five years since she had been enslaved.  It had taken nearly a year for her to recover physically…but mentally…she barely spoke to anyone, even Jarys.  She served as the sniper and infiltration expert in their team, always at a distance watching their backs…given the mutilations she inflicted on any slavers she got within reach of….it was probably better that way.

The three of them made up Vorynx squad, though the smallest it was still the most deadly unit the Sons of Kessel had, three aethans, one a Guardian, all capable of unleashing aetheric attacks and co-ordinating in a battle meld, “better than Jedi,” Keison called them.  

The Sons of Kessel were dedicated to freeing slaves across the galaxy, and ending slavers, they had accepted Jarys and helped him find two of his people.  With every mission they undertook they hoped to find another…but in a galaxy this big, and twenty years after the fact they all knew it was all but impossible…but apart from each other…that thin hope was all they had.

********************************************************************************************
War…war had been his constant companion since he had been torn from Aethas.

Across the moonscape lay a mining facility, twenty or so slum like prefabs, a main processing building and landing zone marked out by red lights nearby.  There were no ships today.  He could sense the numbers even from here, their pain and despair made them strong in the currents of the aether.  200 odd slaves, 30 guards, a small operation mining yellow sapphires, small but every slave was one too many.  

The slaves were mainly underground, but some wandered about the camp, the atmosphere was barely breathable, keeping them weak whilst the guards all had breathers suited to their race.

This was todays battlefield…this was the next theatre in which the war he had fought for twenty years would play out.

Jarys gave the order with his mind. Move.

Crouched he and Maeson circled around the camp on opposite sides, Selaena took position as instructed.  

He lay prone and crawled forward using the aether to keep he dust around him settled as he approached the main building.  He could sense the dull bored guards nearby, a few scattered in the middle, most underground, and some in the armour/command post near the landing zone on Maesons side.

Slowly carefully he came beside two of them.  With practised swiftness he leapt up, his blade slicing into one throat then the next, the grey dirt soaking up the battles first blood, the aether to sheathed his blade as he pulled the flopping forms to the ground, aether suppressed dust or noise.  

On the other side he could sense Maeson working his way through with the detached brutality of a soldier who knew nothing but war.

One by one he brought down four more and headed to the main building.  Slowly up the metal grate stairs, the door at the top opened, a well armoured Rodian exited turning to look right into the silenced blaster bolt Jarys sent between his eyes.  He dragged the corpse into the control room, scanned the equipment for the announcement system.  Fortunately the muster control was pre-recorded, he didn’t need to synth a voice.  He hit it then readied his rifle and positioned himself behind the door.

As the alarm blared as the guards and slaves came out of the mine.  He sensed the guards go from bored to alert as they felt something amiss, as they felt the tremors of silen war.  He settled his mind into the over consciousness of an aetheric battle meld.  It would guide and organise their actions, drawing upon all their senses, memories and abilities in a mind greater than the sum of its parts.

As the last of the guards and slaves came into place he gently opened the door.  War ended and butchery began.

His eye needlessly on his rifles scope a precise ballet of 16 shots began, Jarys, Maeson and Selaena blasted the heads off all the remaining guards in a matter of seconds, their aim, speed and targets all determined by their battle meld.  This was what made Vorynx squad the undisputed best.

The slaves scattered, Jarys left the meld and commed in the support ships.

Today’s battle was over.
*********************************************************************************************
The Sons of Kessel were not simply a military outfit, three large transports full of medics and other support workers arrived to ferry the slaves to temporary accommodation in the republic.   They were funded by donations from individuals and companies in the Republic, channelled through intermediaries to avoid reprisals - they couldn’t openly support such a violent organisation, indeed many abolitionists in the republic considered them as bad as the slavers they slaughtered.   But Jarys cared little for the politics of it.

Jarys looked out over the lines of people wandering up the ramps still in shock, trying to sense anything more than despair…the thin hope that one day he might find Cilina kept him going…but after so many years…any aethan would be welcome.

He gazed at the long line, his eyes were drawn to a stumbling woman, long greasy matted hair, streaked with grey.  Something about her was familiar…he reached out…normally every slave was as dead to the aether as other people, but this one suddenly stopped, turned and stared at him with dead eyes.  

Selaena and Maseon sensed it too, they rushed toward her and pulled her out of line.  Jarys arrived as they had seated her on a crate and give her a bottle to drink from.  He looked at the beaten, half healed face…and the scarred ruined eyes…

He thought back to his younger years…what he had done in the arena a lifetime ago…the irony that this aethan had lost her sight was not lost on him….he looked carefully as she reached to him in the aether…he recognised her…

“Mother…,”

“Jarys…” her hands reached out to him finding his face with the aether as he knelt before her…it was Kassyndra, his mother in law, Cilinas mother…

“I thought…I’d hoped,”

“Hush now mother there will be time…”

“No…” she yelled startling them all “there has been too much time….”

Her head bowed as she cried,

“Forgive me Guardian, I failed…I should’ve killed them…but I…I wanted so much to see my daughters again…I lived in hope instead of killing what abominations I could…”  

He rose before her and placed his hands on her shoulders, it had been sometime since he had to do the duty of a Guardian,

“You’re forgiven mother…” he took a serious tone as his eyes watered with grief at what she had endured, and pride that she still kept her traditions after all this time, “Do you know of any others?”

“Korrys from the coast worked with me on a farm on a world called Nal Shursha, but that was years ago, he died during our escape attempt…that was when…” she motioned to her eyes…

“We reached a city and he killed dozens of the filth that day…but it was not enough,”

“I understand….”

“and Jarys,” she opened her arms and he sat beside her, placing his arm around her,

“Soon after we were taken I sensed things…even across who knows how far…something happened to Shilea…something terrible…I was screaming all night…and Cilina…I sensed pain then joy from her echoed across he aether for a time…it was similar to when a woman bears a child,”

That was the last straw, Jarys wept openly, Maeson did too, Selaena sat on the other side of Kassyndra and held her.  

After a time, Kassyndra spoke again, “Guardian I have lived too long like this, by the aether and the eyes of the Lady herself, please finish what I cannot…I feel my time is come now, I feel it in the winds…having told you this I am reconciled to my earlier failure….”

He nodded gravely, she had observed all the formalities.  The line-up had all but passed, no one would see them…none of them would understand.  As he held her in one arm, he place his other hand on her chest, she clasped it in hers.  

“do not let my death go unavenged,” she whispered

“It will not…,”  he replied,

“It will not,” Maeson added,

Selaena nodded gravely

Just a little jolt from Jarys and Kassynrda was enough, the electricity surged through her overloading and destroying each nerve in her body in an instant, the smell of charred flesh soon became apparent. The three Aethans bowed their heads in mourning.  
********************************************************************************************

It was even quieter than usual on the Vorynx…after Kassyndra had died he had cremated her with aetheric fire…he wished to take her back to Aethas...but that was the great pain.

He had a ship, skill to pilot it…but he didn’t know where it was.  It was on no star chart he had searched, when he was taken he knew nothing of astrography, it could be one of a million stars perhaps DC_10004563, or DC_10004564…he could find no record, it was one of millions explored in the deep core…then forgotten or lost amongst the ever changing hyperspace corridors as fluctuations in gravity opened and closed. A thousand lifetimes and he would still never find it.

He flicked through his galaxy map idly, Cilina could be on any of them…anywhere…if she was alive…he knew most would be dead by now…perhaps she would’ve stayed alive to have a child…but would she tolerate living in slavery…Jarys doubted it…he had to be realistic…as much as he would love to find her…even if he did what state would she be in…what state would any child raised a slave be in….a child corrupted by the violence of slavery…he would have to fulfil his role as a Guardian and kill it out of mercy.

He gazed out the viewport into the tunnel of hyperspace, the blues and whites of stars distorted into a curious tube….there was nothing for him out there…there was nothing for him in here…they were as empty as each other…No world, no children, no way to rebuild…

He sighed heavily and ran his hand over his face, as if trying to wipe off the despair…he would just go on as he had…looking for was scraps he could find...helping them die as a Guardian should….a grim task lit by a distant star of false hope…all he had.

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:30:08 PM »

Feels lighter! I'll have to do something about that....
Yes she's quite different, with Valens, Jarys and Kiraea already another one like them would be too similar...plus such a difference drives the story.....

Exactly!  I can see her butting heads with Valens and espeically with Kiraea over methods.  :-)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 09:39:31 PM »

And we see Jarys again!  Nicely done.  I can relate to his new "job" better than some of the others.  Its good to see him returning to his role as Guardian as well.  I feared he was lost in the beast...

I imagine that at some point Valens and Jarys may bump into each other again...  Do the Jedi ever aid the Sons of Kessel?  Hmm...

One editorial note: There is a section of the post that repeats itself.  Just a simple "typesetting" error.  But it may be worth fixing, it was a bit distracting.  :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 09:54:07 PM »

And we see Jarys again!  Nicely done.  I can relate to his new "job" better than some of the others.  Its good to see him returning to his role as Guardian as well.  I feared he was lost in the beast...

I imagine that at some point Valens and Jarys may bump into each other again...  Do the Jedi ever aid the Sons of Kessel?  Hmm...

One editorial note: There is a section of the post that repeats itself.  Just a simple "typesetting" error.  But it may be worth fixing, it was a bit distracting.  :-)

Fixed thanks for picking it up.
As to whether the Jedi aid to Sons of Kessel...that will be looked at further...but the Interlude The Orthodox gives Kimars opinion at least...

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »

I have to say that this was one of my favorite chapters.  Truly heart-wrenching what the Aethans have gone through.  Even now as they attempt to save ALL slaves, the occasional Aethan finds themselves STILL manacled.  Much like Jarys: he may not necessarily be the Beast of yesteryear but he is no longer the Guardian he once was.

And I, too, was wondering what will become of Valens and Jarys when next they meet.  Is Jarys a...legacy being such as Valens?  Just a thought...

I like the expanded role of the Son of Kessel.  What we did (briefly) see of them in CotA, is certainly more fleshed out with this chapter.  And I like the addition of Maeson and Selaena.  Keep it up LSG, this is a fantastic narrative you're taking us on  Grin

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 02:58:14 AM »

Chapter 3
Valens

The electric blue light of proton warheads erupting flashed to his left, red from the fighters cannons streaked right…the ghostly purple light gave the void outside more content than the aching emptiness within.

A hard downward pull sent the Andis up brining the freighters blue engines into view, levelling off he fired, his face as expressionless as his mind was empty. Pulsing green bolts shrieked forward leaving orange and blackened steel wounds in the disabled engine.  Not even a shred of accomplishment…not amount of destruction could fill that void. 

The plasma ruptured forth like blood from a wounded beast, its energies confusing the fighter targeting… the aether told him the fighter’s position and their confidence slowly resurging.  He had struck the freighter with an aether guided torpedo while the Andis floated dead amongst this sector ubiquitous debris.  Their response sent four triangular fighters against his customised Mandolorian Assault ship. 

He could just stop their hearts, cut their thoughts, send them to sleep, or decimate them with aether guided missiles.  But Andis…his grandfather had always taught him never to use the aether when you didn’t have to. 

Pulling hard left, one ahead, two above, the fourth kept its distance to the right.  He lined up the one as its red bolts surged toward him…bold.  They deflected off his shields with purple splashes as returned green bolts from the wings, the fighter swerved too late, its right wing spinning it into the void.  Pivoting up the two above split in opposite directions, tight left to pursue, punctuating the blackness with more shots, the pilot pivoted and wove but he kept pace, a hit on the engine followed by a brief bloom of destruction.

The third was on his tail, hard to the right and toward the fourth, the tactical console beeping for the missile locking on.  Straight into it as third locked his tail and fired, his shields held the three hits as he juked and jinked, the missile launched.  In the brief seconds before it hit he cut the back engines put full reverse thrust and pushed the stick up sending him plunging down, counter measures released a cloud of small energized baubles behind him.

Targeting confused the missile hit a baubles, third unable to slow was caught in the detonation.  More canny fourth had moved above him to lock again…he wouldn’t give it the chance, a hard right to skim under the freighter, weaving past the turret fire, as fourth waited above the freighter for him to emerge.  He trailed along the freighters length, pulled right emerging just past the bridge then up.   Fourth pulled to the left but Valens overshot him, placing fourth between him and the freighters hull, another green volley, spattering the freighters top and demolishing the remaining fighter as vainly accelerated.

Four dead fighters filled the void outside, that within remained untouched.
*********************************************************************************************
The Andis was on the port side of the Freighter, its breach docking arm cutting its way into the metal.  The crew of Trandoshans was lined up ready to intercept. 

Valens was slicing a starboard airlock.  Encased in his usual vacuum capable beskar armour, dark grey and armed to the teeth with mini rockets, flame throwers, gas, tranquilizer darts and other nasty surprises.  His standard weapons were twin Mandolorian Disruptors, technically illegal in the Republic, one beskar and one kortosis knife, TerrorX Assault rifle with scope modifications. Almost as an afterthought, his lightsabre.

The slice was easy, and the door hissed open.  He could sense all fourteen fourteen Trandoshans, violently tempered spice smugglers.  Normally this kind of thing was reserved for planetary security, but when your smuggling operation was undercutting the usual Hutt smuggler in the sector, and hence the kickbacks paid to the local senator…then it became a Jedi issue.

The ships internal atmosphere was suited to the Trandoshans biology, lower gravity, noxious gases.  He stalked the sooty halls lined with pitted metal  crouching behind a corner as he came to the bridge, only three, the captain he guessed by the abundance of wookie pelts, and two officers.  They were focused on directing their defence and calling for help if he understood them correctly.

He spun out of the corner pistols in hand, his first two shots plunged into the officers backs, through their chest and deep into their consoles.  Mandolorian weapons were highly effective.  The stunned captain turned to meet a bolt to the face.  He holstered and took out his knives before hitting the bridge alarm. 

He felt the other Trandoshans rushing back, pressed himself against the wall beside the door as they roared past, stepping out silently as they looked over the bodies. 
He plunged his knives into the crouched form of one of them, pulled, rose then dug them into the guts of another before he realised what was happening.  He rolled across the deck as blaster bolts flew, slashing off limbs as he came around, rolling over the back of a legless Trandoshan and landing with his knives firmly in the next ones chest.  It was forty seconds of furious blood-letting before all that remained alive was the second in command hobbling on stumps.

He kicked the survivor onto his back and stared at the alien eyes…as if he could find something…just something of interest there, but his dying mind was filled with the usual rubbish.  He glanced over at the mutilated bodies void of life…no amount of blood could fill the void within him either.

“errgh…what are you…assassin…Mercenary…” the survivor called

“Isn’t it obvious,” Valens said mirthlessly, “I’m a Jedi,”
With a flick of his mind he imploded the Trandoshans skull.
“And they would not surrender?  Under any circumstances,” Kimar pressed

“They did not let up Master, even after I disabled them, I did manage to intercept some transmissions and documents that, with further analysis may prove useful,” Valens replied before the council, Kimar, the Ikotchi Grand Master was always trying to sense something from him in the force…yet all he found was a hollow shell.

Kimar had been reluctant to let Yoda train him, reluctant to allow him to undergo the trials, despairing when he passed them. 

But Kimar was pragmatic enough to know a good resource when he had one, Valens dealt with things quickly and with finality, an unspoken arrangement had grown between them – Kimar sent him on missions prompted by his ‘friends’ in the Senate where a peaceful resolution, despite being the Jedi’s first goal, was not really wanted.  Valens in turn was given freedom to pursue his studies of other force cultures and just kept quiet about what actually happened in the field.

“Very well, have it analysed…return here tomorrow for your next assignment,”

“Yes Master,” he bowed

“Before you go,” Soryu called out, an older human master with light brown skin and thin eyes, bald but with a short stubbly beard, Valens greatest ally on the council and amongst the Jedi, even more than Yoda.  Soryu had a fascination with the concept of the living force, he saw species that used the force naturally as enjoying some kind of ideal state of living – ‘more in tune with all life’.   

Soryu made the typical Jedi error, he deluded himself into believing the force had some moral direction, some transcendent right and wrong, and that only by keeping to this arbitrary code could one connect more fully with it…and worse that those naturally more connected to the force would act more in tune with this moral imperative…utterly, utterly delusional.

“Master I thought we might consider again if Knight Valens should be elevated to Master…once again he has shown tremendous ability in the face of adversity, it is essential such knowledge is passed on.” Soryu went on for the hundredth time, Kimar rolled his eyes, Valens cringed inwardly, no amount of praise could fill the void within him…no promotion or recognition would satiate that emptiness.

“Knight Valens has shown remarkable ability, and is always very helpful when at the Temple advising the padawans…” the old Cerean Ha’Siri’Kum added, he did help students in the library or archives amongst his own studies, or in combat training…. to assess future potential enemies.

“Unfortunately there are very few padawans in need of a Master, the last allocation was three months ago,”  Kimar kept Valens away during that time avoiding the look of shunning a highly regarded knight.  On this Valens and Kimar were of one mind, he didn’t want an apprentice any more than Kimar wanted to give him one.  But the feel of the rest of the room was increasingly against them.

Kimar relented a little, “I will arrange for a list of potential candidates to be ready upon Knight Valens return.
Free Me

It was half demand half request, he looked at Milaea.  She was the last child of the Aethans…their survival rested upon her…she was so small and vulnerable…in this galaxy…he alone could not protect her…

“We have an agreement,” he replied, the ghostly red figure nodded slowly, the spirits of the Aethans glowed in grim agreement.

Red lightning crackled from his fingertips.

Once again before this altar…He made his choice.

He poured energy into the altar and the infant, grasping trying to drag Aethena from her imprisonment whilst perfecting the child’s physiology…but she had been there too long…she was too deep for him to draw out…

Yoda was close by…he needed to hurry….but he didn’t have the strength along…

The phantoms of the Aethans coalesced into one form…his Grandfather…the ghostly blue figure strode over to him…he had no choice….he let the shade merge with him…the power over a thousand dead souls flooded him…he had it now…he pulled the remnants of Aethena into the fragile body and its very DNA was streamlined, perfected…yet he left a legacy of Cilina and Jarys.

Their power was used…what legacy would the dead leave him with….

His eyes opened.

Sofa slept soundly beside him, he felt the warmth her body radiate against his, the rise and fall of her breast with each breath…She was a beautiful woman, compassionate and determined, a good role model for Milaea…yet no amount of her affection, her love, her body could fill the aching void in his heart.

He didn’t fool himself it was just because she was Milaea’s master…that was a factor, he had manipulated Sofas mind to prompt her into teaching Milaea certain things for years…but he had wanted Sofas body, her affections, her gentleness as well…

No not hers, he wanted Shilea…he wanted his wife…but he only had Sofa.  He had thought perhaps she could fill just a little of the gnawing emptiness…yet no amount of sex could fill the void. 

That void… The Goddess had been raised...the power of a thousand dead souls…their rage, their fear…spent in one moment the legacy an emptiness he had to keep locked down with the aether…he had tried to fill it…with revenge, destruction, knowledge, power, pleasure, pain….nothing could substitute for the returned life it hungered for…a life he hadn’t the power to give.

He slid out of the bed and into the bathroom, splashing some cool water on his face he looked at his reflection.   The same average, perhaps slightly handsome features, short light brown hair, greyish eyes…yes the same…they hadn’t changed at all in years…he didn’t age after 29 or 30…soon people would start to notice. 

He was running out of time too fast
She was the only one who could bring the life they…and he…needed…

There it was though…

'Could'…

Only possibly…no guarantee…if she couldn’t bring Shilea and the others back…

He shuddered to think of the thing he might become…it had been manageable at the start but now…a quarter of his power was needed every moment to keep it from consuming him…dead eyes stared back at him.

And if Shilea was resurrected what would she see when she looked upon him?
The blood of thousands dead upon his hands?
Hear a voice that was a stranger to the truth come from his mouth?
Smell the perfume and sweat of his hours with Sofa on his skin?
Could she forgive him, would she even care?

What had he become…what had his crusade to bring her, his people, back made him…the ghostly visage of his
Grandfather briefly flickered, a projection upon his own features…it mouthed one word…

Life…

A shell of a man seeking to resurrect a woman whose love he secretly feared would still not be enough to fill the void she had left. 

Sofa stirred in the other room, she would not ask about his tears…the stress of being a Jedi was well known to her, and served as his excuse too…the water rippled, his fists clenched, the basin trembled, the aetheric emanations of desire unfulfilled. 

The emptiness gnawed at the edges of his mind…he thought about Sofa, just lying there, soft, warm, compassionate…perhaps this time it might be fulfilling he lied to himself.

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »

Valens is one of your best characters IMO.  Is this emptiness that he feels innate because he's not fulfilling his genetic imperative or is it because of loss (and not just for his wife but for his people, planet, way of life)?  Aethans may not have a humans sense of social mores but they do have emotions...

I am glad that you've made Kimar more than just a Straw anti-villian.  But I think that's indicative of your superb writing.  I am so glad that you continued your story of the Aethans  Smiley

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »

Wow, this one delved deep.  That emptiness and loss...

this goddess, Aethenia (sp) is ... interesting.  From the interludes this drive for some kind of genetic perfection has been the goal all along.  These guys have some kind of genetic/cultural imperative to follow it.  Valen's emptiness is indicative of it, the need and actions of others also. Everything is driven by the goddess.

I hope we learn more about her soon.  :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 08:16:58 PM »

Valens is one of your best characters IMO.  Is this emptiness that he feels innate because he's not fulfilling his genetic imperative or is it because of loss (and not just for his wife but for his people, planet, way of life)?  Aethans may not have a humans sense of social mores but they do have emotions...

I am glad that you've made Kimar more than just a Straw anti-villian.  But I think that's indicative of your superb writing.  I am so glad that you continued your story of the Aethans  Smiley

Yeah it's all of that plus living a lie for 20 years waiting for Milaea to grow up, and having to let the force ghosts basically merge with him to get the power he needed...so emotional and spiritual, plus the pressure of being the only one really in charge of his people (the 4 that he even knows of...Melron, Mirada and the girls)...all that costs you something...

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 01:44:53 AM »

Yeah it's all of that plus living a lie for 20 years waiting for Milaea to grow up, and having to let the force ghosts basically merge with him to get the power he needed...so emotional and spiritual, plus the pressure of being the only one really in charge of his people (the 4 that he even knows of...Melron, Mirada and the girls)...all that costs you something...

Costs a lot, from the sound of it.  Good to know these guys are 'human' after all.  :-)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: