Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Electronics Swap  (Read 1303 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: June 24, 2023, 04:59:19 PM »

Disclaimer: I totally voided the warranty on my Aeon V3. If you're thinking of doing something like this with a saber that's still under warranty, that needs to be considered. Ultrasabers' 1 year warranty covers any electrical faults, not anything that you do by trying to modify things. To say I know what I'm doing is an understatement. I've wired dozens of sabers, from stunts to complete sound installs from parts. I've never done anything with pixel blades because I'm not fond of that tech, but when it comes to in hilt LEDs with or without sound, I know what I'm doing. I'm not saying people shouldn't try this, I'm just saying: know the risks and be prepared to either fix any mistakes you might make, or pay someone else to do it.

So, one thing I used to love to do but don't really do much anymore is to order high end hilts in a stunt configuration and then upgrade them to sound. When it comes to low end sabers, I generally prefer stunts or to do my own custom sound installs. However, when it came to the new Ultraproffie board, I bought two sabers right off the bat with that setup. One was the Azure Fallen in with the Ultraproffie and Ultrapixel setup. To try the in hilt LED configuration, I ordered an Aeon V3 in the Ultraproffile Lite with the RGBW in hilt LED setup. That's all well and good, but that setup deserves to be in a higher end hilt and the Aeon needs to be available to just mess around with without having sound. So, I decided to swap the Ultraproffie to my Empress and the Pyrestone Orange stunt setup from the Empress to my Aeon V3. This is what I started with:

A couple hours later:

It was a pretty straightforward swap, but I did make a few mistakes and I spent way too long looking for my electrical tape. Roll Eyes (note to self: put it back in the toolbox) The Empress has way less internal space, so I really had to shove the wiring down in there. If I were to do it over again, I would have shortened some of the wires. I didn't have to solder the board or anything because it was already wired. In fact, I took the tape off thinking there would be a wiring harness underneath like on the Obsidian boards, but the setup was a bit different. Since that was a moot point, I just cut and spliced the wires. Then I re-wrapped it in electrical tape (hence, needing to find my tape.) With the next one I do, I'm not going to bother unwrapping it.

Also, I've never before or since opened up an Utrasabers stunt and had it running on two AA batteries. That's a first. When I got it, I thought maybe they were doing a different setup for stunts. But, when I got other stunts afterward, they all were running on four AAA batteries.

And, speaking of the next one, this is what I'm going to swap after lunch:

Saber Surfer
Administrator
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 05:45:08 PM »

During the pandemic there was a shortage of parts. Red and Orange require less voltage to power them properly, so they got the 2 AA battery holder with no resistor.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 08:27:43 PM »

During the pandemic there was a shortage of parts. Red and Orange require less voltage to power them properly, so they got the 2 AA battery holder with no resistor.

Ah, the pandemic. That makes sense. I definitely knew that about the red and orange needing less voltage. In fact, 3V is right in that sweet spot. Whenever I wire up sabers with 3.7V, those are the only LEDs that I have to put a resistor on. I just thought maybe that was how they were going to do other stunts with red and orange, until I've gotten others more recently with those colors and four AAA batteries. But, the parts shortage explains things.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 10:53:35 PM »

And they're swapped.

I went with a red switch on this one. I have another gold one like I used on the Empress, but I decided the hilt had enough gold and that red switch was begging to be used. The only thing I'm not happy with on the Princess is that the blade is kind of dim. That's because the hilt has a think neck. With the Archon V3, I think Ultrasabers puts some film in the neck to carry the light. But that isn't possible due to the windows in the Princess. Still, it looks good and I love it with the Ultraproffie setup. I'm also really happy with the Dominix in Tri Guardian Blue. The first Ultrasaber I built was a Dominix V3, which I bought all of the parts for to do the install, and it had a blue blade. Since I later messed that hilt up trying to customize it, I'm glad to have another one in blue. Plus, it's a tri CREE, which is better. Wink I also took the opportunity to give the hilt a black switch. I could swear I ordered one, but maybe I accidentally picked silver.

Incidentally, the Princess breaks down into several parts:

I've never done an install on an Ultrasaber that breaks down into that many pieces. It actually made both taking the electronics out and putting in new ones easier. The switch was easier to get out because I had a more direct path to where the glue was. And I did all of my solder joins with the switch and body parts separated, then I screwed them together. It worked out great.

And, while I had my saber stuff out, I did this as well:

I found the hilt in a box. (I'm assuming other people have random empty Ultrasabers hilts in boxes too  Cheesy) The electronics came out of a Sentinel that I had to tear apart to get the black ring for the AV switch on the Dominix. (so, now I have an empty Sentinel) The LED was in SRD, but it was RGB, so I rewired it to kind of a greenish yellow. I put a random resistor on the red, so I didn't know until I fired it up what the color was going to be. Wink I also added some O-rings and heat shrink tubing to the grip area, an idea I got from this thread:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=48570.0

Incidentally, the end I cut on the heat shrink tubing is straighter that the factory cut, which is at an angle. Roll Eyes

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 04:22:04 PM »

This is just INCREDIBLE!

Fantastic job, SFD!  I used to do a little bit of tinkering with some small stuff but nothing like what you're doing^^

Heh, if I tried anything remotely like this, I'd probably end up electrocuting myself (nevermind that there isn't enough amperage to kill you  Tongue Smiley).

Also: I like the O-rings and shrink tubing modding you did.  Here's one of my own "O-ring modded" sabers--an Initiate v4--along with a 4th place grab bag from yesteryear:

IMO, the Initiate has the perfect look for a shoto  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 09:10:26 PM »

Thanks a lot. I love to tinker. I'm thinking of doing the 0-ring and heat shrink thing on one of my Aeon V2s.

Heh, if I tried anything remotely like this, I'd probably end up electrocuting myself (nevermind that there isn't enough amperage to kill you  Tongue Smiley).

If it makes you feel any better, I did manage to stab myself in the thumb with my soldering iron yesterday. I was trying to put it in the cleaner thing and I went into my thumb instead.  Shocked That was a first for me.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 09:55:04 PM »

Also: I like the O-rings and shrink tubing modding you did.  Here's one of my own "O-ring modded" sabers--an Initiate v4--along with a 4th place grab bag from yesteryear:

IMO, the Initiate has the perfect look for a shoto  Smiley

You know I love that Aeon. The Apperentice looks good too. I like the O-ring mod. Point for the share.  Cool You should give the heat shrink a try. It really adds a cool grip over those O-rings.

I grabbed my Aeon V2 in Sentinel Yellow and I was putting the O-rings on it when I had the thought that I should do my Initiate V2 also. So, I did.

It's not as neat as I'd like it to be, but putting 3" heat shrink tubing over something and then using a heat gun to shrink it down to less than half its original size is less of an exact science and more of a guesstimate. You can't adjust it after it shrinks, it's staying where it is.

The Guardian Blue Initiate V2 is a freebie that I got a year or two ago during one of those promotions where you spend so much money and get a free Initiate. Then, more recently, I got a free Dark Initiate V2 in Violet Amethyst during the promotion that was running when the Ultraproffie launched.  Grin

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 05:24:14 PM »

Nice work!
i noticed the lack of "empty hilt" option (for the new releases at least) and your observations here will help those who want to custom build but have to start with stunt.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 09:48:15 PM »

The empty hilt option was moved totally to the parts section:

https://ultrasabers.com/product-category/empty-sabers/

Every hilt Ultasabers makes is there, even the newest hilt, the Exile.

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 04:00:28 PM »

The empty hilt option was moved totally to the parts section:

https://ultrasabers.com/product-category/empty-sabers/

Every hilt Ultasabers makes is there, even the newest hilt, the Exile.
Word!  Points given.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: