Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Build saber with 2 channel emerald drive and obsilian sound board  (Read 7028 times)
ilpostino
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« on: January 19, 2014, 12:19:50 AM »

I am thinking about the electronics for a saber I want to build. Is it possible to buy a on/off switch, battery pack/speaker combo, buck puck, 2 channel emerald drive and obsidian sound board and configure the colors I want? It it possible to put this combination into any hilt?

Brian64
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:26:04 AM »

In order..

Yes, you can buy switches for the saber but you need to get a momentary or AV switch - don't get a latching switch.
No, You need a LI-ON setup, not buckpuck if you are creating an obsidian/emerald saber.
No, you can't create all colours with only a 2-channel emerald driver, only those colours that use the two LED's you picked.
No, you need hilts large enough for both boards to fit. I'd suggest looking at the sabers listed in the 'emerald with sound' section of the site.

Light side points please

ilpostino
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 11:47:46 AM »

In order..

Yes, you can buy switches for the saber but you need to get a momentary or AV switch - don't get a latching switch.
No, You need a LI-ON setup, not buckpuck if you are creating an obsidian/emerald saber.
No, you can't create all colours with only a 2-channel emerald driver, only those colours that use the two LED's you picked.
No, you need hilts large enough for both boards to fit. I'd suggest looking at the sabers listed in the 'emerald with sound' section of the site.

1. Thanks.
2. I thought you could use the buck puck instead of resistors in any setup?
3. The plan is to make a yellow blade which can be acvhieved by blending red and green so a 2-channel driver.
4. You mean long enough, right? The diameter is the same as other hilts?

Brian64
Knight Commander

Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »

1. You're welcome.
2. My advice would be to look through the emerald with sound section of the website. You will see the phrase 'Li-on set up is mandatory...' when you view the various sabers. Perhaps there is one that doesn't require Li-on and I just haven't looked at it yet.
3. Yes you only need red and green for yellow.
4. Not all sabers are the same diameter. If you are going for an emerald with sound build, I would suggest sticking with those hilts listed in that section of the website. Or taking advice from someone who has built a saber like the one you are going to make.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Light side points please

Brian64
Knight Commander

Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »

Okay, I just had another look at the info about the Li-on set up and it talks about buck puck and resistors...  Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about.

When I order an emerald with sound saber, there is no option to select buckpuck or resistor, so I believed they were only used in non Li-on set ups.

Light side points please

ilpostino
Knight Lance Corporal

Re:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »

Okay, I just had another look at the info about the Li-on set up and it talks about buck puck and resistors...  Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about.

You managed to confuse me a bit but I imagine thats we are on this forum; to learn.   Wink

Brian64
Knight Commander

Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »

There is a lot of info on the forum and not all of it is cross-referenced. If there is still an option to have either buckpuck or resistor with the Li-ion set up (as in 2012) then shouldn't this be an ordering option? I don't know why it isn't listed.

It's the same thing with forum colours. In some of the emerald ordering options, all of the colours are listed, but in others there are some missing (eg Pyrestone Orange can be selected for pulse, but not base or foc).

Light side points please

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »

The BuckPuck is never used in an Emerald configuration because the Emerald Driver itselfs adjusts the current to the LED according to the colour you pick.
Talking about Li-Ion set-up, it is mandatory for ALL sound-equipped sabers and all of the Emerald Sabers (both sound and no sound). For all other sabers you can use either 2AAA or 4AAA battery set-ups.
The BuckPuck is commonly used in sound sabers for current adjustment (you can also go with a resistor, but BuckPuck is the best way). Resistors are alway used in stunt sabers (and to create colours like VA, SRD, AB etc. in stunt and also BuckPuck-equipped sound sabers).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:43:07 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

ilpostino
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »

The BuckPuck is never used in an Emerald configuration because the Emerald Driver itselfs adjusts the current to the LED according to the colour you pick.
Talking about Li-Ion set-up, it is mandatory for ALL sound-equipped sabers and all of the Emerald Sabers (both sound and no sound). For all other sabers you can use either 2AAA or 4AAA battery set-ups.
The BuckPuck is commonly used in sound sabers for current adjustment (you can also go with a resistor, but BuckPuck is the best way). Resistors are alway used in stunt sabers (and to create colours like VA, SRD, AB etc. in stunt and also BuckPuck-equipped sound sabers).

Thanks  Wink  Learned alot by this post.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »

Always glad to help you Wink I know how you feel when you're new to the whole saber thing...quite lost if you don't have anybody to help you. Of course this will never happen here, lots of people can help us Cheesy

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: