Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dueling Armor  (Read 5574 times)
obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 02:06:19 AM »

When sparring with metal weapons, I ALWAYS wear heavier gloves.

When sparring with wooden weapons or lightsabers, with less skilled/experienced opponents, I also wear heavier gloves.

When sparring with experienced and skilled opponents who I don't know very well yet, I still wear heavier gloves.

When sparring with an opponent who is skilled and experienced AND I'm familiar with them, I'll often wear lighter gloves, which I also wear when doing form work most of the time.

My heavy sparring gloves are a pair of thick gardening gloves, which have proven themselves to be surprisingly protective and were VERY cheap. The light ones are a lightweight pair of fingerless gloves with padding on the outside of them, which are a lot more "free" in terms of movement, but don't offer as much protection. The few times I've been hit while wearing them, though, I haven't had any damage, even so much as bruising, on my hands, so they've clearly shown themselves to be good enough for what I use them for. I paid around NZ$20 (less than US$15) for 2 pairs of gardening gloves (my girlfriend at the time wanted a pair for gardening, ended up using them more often for bo staff practice than in the garden), and around the same amount for the single pair of lighter gloves.

I also work with a hard cap on how inexperienced an opponent I'll fight with wooden weapons or a lightsaber, and anyone who falls short, I'll get out my LARP swords which are foam padded, and for those, you need far less protective gear.

I've occasionally considered getting some more stylish protective gloves which are designed with better flexibility in mind, but it's hard to find something that fits me, is comfortable, and is actually comparable in protection to the heavy gloves I already use.

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: