Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Return of the Saber Doodles  (Read 101604 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2019, 03:16:30 PM »

keep in mind it does have a basket guard so theres plenty of room. Many rapiers have loops or ergonomic crossguards to allow this for greater blade control and tip precision
I would have thought that the elaborate hand guards were a practical way of increasing the mass of the handle. The closer you get the center of mass of the sword in the actual grip, the more control you have.

When I look at this sketch, I see the guard as being narrowly conical; with a base of maybe 5" diameter, anf a strip roughly 2" wide for the finger guard.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »

I would have thought that the elaborate hand guards were a practical way of increasing the mass of the handle. The closer you get the center of mass of the sword in the actual grip, the more control you have.

When I look at this sketch, I see the guard as being narrowly conical; with a base of maybe 5" diameter, anf a strip roughly 2" wide for the finger guard.

Nobles got small hands, yo,
/joke

Widening some of that area up for ergonomic reasons on the final drawing. Still trying to get the "speedy" feeling though

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »

As mentioned earlier, I have a small project I've been working on before i get to remaking the old stuff. Specifically, Logos and I had a small discussion on the Ultrasabers idea thread regarding the feasibility of lightsabers designed around Rapiers.

Well during my research it turns out the EU had already touched on this. Theyre called "lightfoils" and were a Sith / Noble light-sword based on lightsabers, but not exactly. Opting for an energy blade that doesnt appear to be powered by a crystal (due to the name being specifically distinguished away from "lightsaber"). They seemed to be parimarily used to settle personal duels, similar to the IRL Rapier/Foil they are based on.

Of course my brain immediately went to making it a full fledged lightsaber, and maybe even touching upon a flat blade design since TCW/Rebels opened up that can o worms with the Darksaber.

So which design do you guys feel is the most practical / would work best with a flat blade? Obviously it would be centered around Makashi form.
While I like your drawings of the lightfoils (as always, plus they look incredibly graceful), I think I prefer the "heavier" sabers instead (although I think that the provenance behind "nobles wielding lightfoils" fits perfectly for the narrative).  That said, I'd love to see what you come up with for your own Darksaber analogue  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2019, 02:59:37 PM »

While I like your drawings of the lightfoils (as always, plus they look incredibly graceful), I think I prefer the "heavier" sabers instead (although I think that the provenance behind "nobles wielding lightfoils" fits perfectly for the narrative).  That said, I'd love to see what you come up with for your own Darksaber analogue  Smiley

Much as the flat blade designs still irks me from a lore perspective, I can't hate on the design itself, yet another project to add to the list! Meanwhile;

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2019, 04:12:33 PM »

Aaaand todays second project:

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #185 on: October 24, 2019, 07:09:20 PM »

Much as the flat blade designs still irks me from a lore perspective, I can't hate on the design itself, yet another project to add to the list! Meanwhile;

POINTS! ALL THE POINTS!

The flat blade idea irks me to hell and back. The idea of a lightsaber is literally a 360° cutting edge. What purpose does making it flat serve? I fear I'm going to get backlash for saying this, but I've never had an issue with the notion of a black blade. I've even worked out how it could theoretically be achieved within the fictional science of SW.

As far as the hilt of the Dark Saber, I still don't like it. The corners of the rectangular grip would destroy your hands on impact. Now if they had done it more like Ahsoka's SWR sabers, then yes. Much more ergonomic design.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #186 on: October 24, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »

POINTS! ALL THE POINTS!

The flat blade idea irks me to hell and back. The idea of a lightsaber is literally a 360° cutting edge. What purpose does making it flat serve? I fear I'm going to get backlash for saying this, but I've never had an issue with the notion of a black blade. I've even worked out how it could theoretically be achieved within the fictional science of SW.

As far as the hilt of the Dark Saber, I still don't like it. The corners of the rectangular grip would destroy your hands on impact. Now if they had done it more like Ahsoka's SWR sabers, then yes. Much more ergonomic design.

100% agreement.   But that foil design...   It is SPOT ON.
Killer, PS.   Killer hilt.   :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2019, 07:43:39 PM »

100% agreement.   But that foil design...   It is SPOT ON.
Killer, PS.   Killer hilt.   :-)

Thanks Karmack! I was a little nervous as the popular vote between the three rapiers was probably my least favorite so I was real careful to make sure it lived up to expectations!

POINTS! ALL THE POINTS!

And y'know I'm a guy who is willing to waive some small amount of function for form, so im caught between those awkward two voices in my head of "A flat blade makes no sense!" and "Yeah but its really cool!". Ultimately its a little silly, but it would be interesting to see the visual applications beyond "glowy sword"

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2019, 07:55:00 PM »

And y'know I'm a guy who is willing to waive some small amount of function for form, so im caught between those awkward two voices in my head of "A flat blade makes no sense!" and "Yeah but its really cool!". Ultimately its a little silly, but it would be interesting to see the visual applications beyond "glowy sword"

I am reminded of the weapons the Imperial Guard used in "The Last Jedi" against Rey and Kylo.   I'm not sure what they were actually supposed to be, but what if it was something like that?   A very light, thin frame holding some kind of energy blade?  It could be two-edged, or even very light and x-shaped with FOUR edges for cutting, allowing functional 360-degree usage but not a true plasma-blade like the ones "real" light sabers use.  It would also negate the need for the force-user connection to the weapon that is infused into canon.

Just a thought....

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2019, 01:32:44 PM »

I am reminded of the weapons the Imperial Guard used in "The Last Jedi" against Rey and Kylo.   I'm not sure what they were actually supposed to be, but what if it was something like that?   A very light, thin frame holding some kind of energy blade?  It could be two-edged, or even very light and x-shaped with FOUR edges for cutting, allowing functional 360-degree usage but not a true plasma-blade like the ones "real" light sabers use.  It would also negate the need for the force-user connection to the weapon that is infused into canon.

Just a thought....

Recently re-watched. The appear to be normal vibroweapons with some kind of plasma torch or energy vent on the leading edge of the blade, allowing it to clash with sabers. Thats all based on appearances though so if someone has more elaborate canon content feel free to correct me.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2019, 03:40:53 PM »

I have reached a reasonable compromise on the physics of a flat blade, and especially for the lower power output of a foil, it makes sense.

The emitted containment field could be flat if the emitter matrix were a narrow rectangular configuration. By the nature of the blade, it would still be able to cut at any angle, but its appearance would be flat. But here's the kicker: the blade would have to be symmetric along the long axis, like a rapier blade.

I could have gotten behind the Dark Saber if a) it followed this guideline, b) didn't extend beyond the emitter width, and c) wasn't SHAPED. More akin to a gladius

I am reminded of the weapons the Imperial Guard used in "The Last Jedi" against Rey and Kylo.
BOOOO! Those suck.

Recently re-watched. The appear to be normal vibroweapons with some kind of plasma torch or energy vent on the leading edge of the blade, allowing it to clash with sabers. Thats all based on appearances though so if someone has more elaborate canon content feel free to correct me.
BOOOOO! Canon content sucks.

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2019, 04:37:24 PM »

I have reached a reasonable compromise on the physics of a flat blade, and especially for the lower power output of a foil, it makes sense.

The emitted containment field could be flat if the emitter matrix were a narrow rectangular configuration. By the nature of the blade, it would still be able to cut at any angle, but its appearance would be flat. But here's the kicker: the blade would have to be symmetric along the long axis, like a rapier blade.

I could have gotten behind the Dark Saber if a) it followed this guideline, b) didn't extend beyond the emitter width, and c) wasn't SHAPED. More akin to a gladius

I can get behind that. Especially if getting struck by the flat of the blade wouldn't fully cut due to it being less power over a wider area but still caused a nasty burn

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2019, 05:02:42 PM »

I can get behind that. Especially if getting struck by the flat of the blade wouldn't fully cut due to it being less power over a wider area but still caused a nasty burn
WRONG! It is still a light blade. If it has the power to cut, then it has the ability to cut all the way around. Now I do know the initiate sabers used by younglings to train were underpowered so that any sustained strikes would burn and not dismember.

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2019, 05:04:38 PM »

WRONG! It is still a light blade. If it has the power to cut, then it has the ability to cut all the way around. Now I do know the initiate sabers used by younglings to train were underpowered so that any sustained strikes would burn and not dismember.

What I'm saying is if the energy is dispersed over a wider area like a flat blade (especially if we're talking lightfoils) a small strike would likely burn. Not saying that it couldnt dismember, it would just require more "force" heh.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2019, 05:37:50 PM »

OK, not only do I like this design but the name for it--"Makashi Master"--just...brilliant, simply brilliant  Cheesy

Aaaand todays second project:

Allow me to reiterate: these are beautiful!  Something about them elicits me of my own childhood ideas of Jedi sabers whenever my friends and I would play "Us-the Star Wars People" (how's that for cringe-worthy  Grin).  Anyhow--and like any smart kid  Wink--I WANTED to have a lightsaber, often times stealing my dad's flashlight while attaching a colored PVC pipe to it, happily smacking anything that came within proximity (...and getting me into trouble, naturally  Wink).  LONG STORY SHORT: these awesome pics remind me of that time  Grin

BOOOO! Those suck.
BOOOOO! Canon content sucks.
As an avid sword collector, I really like the gladius you included.  However, I really enjoyed your explanation for the flatblade saber.

Points gentlemen  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: