Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 583   Go Down
Author Topic: Suggestion Box/Wishlist: what do we want from Ultrasabers?  (Read 1497782 times)
CZ3RO
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -178

"There were lessons the Jedi couldn't teach me."

« Reply #930 on: October 29, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »

Well, it's very likely that there will be a Prophecy V3 CE so you might just be in luck Wink I wouldn't be too interested in that, though. I preferred the dual-tone awesomeness of the Dark Prophecy LE.

Ah, that's actually what I meant - Dark Prof LE, the black and silver one.

Would be interesting to see an LE saber that is mostly gold with silver details...  Like an inverted Shock LE.

.ZERO.

"The Jedi and their 'Order' betrayed the Chancellor and the Republic - hunting them down isn't about revenge; this is justice."
- Fane Cinden, Imperial Inquisitioner

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #931 on: October 30, 2012, 01:10:56 AM »

As far as colored hilts go, I feel like a gold saber would do better than the red and blue ones they did.

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #932 on: October 30, 2012, 04:26:04 AM »

Id like to see gun metal or dark bronze. Gold would be too bright for my tastes.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #933 on: October 30, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »

Id like to see gun metal or dark bronze. Gold would be too bright for my tastes.

I could go for the dark bronze.  The gun metal could cause someone to panic if they mistook it for a firearm.

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Hakkonen
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #934 on: November 01, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »

I could go for the dark bronze.  The gun metal could cause someone to panic if they mistook it for a firearm.

That's not really what "gunmetal" means.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #935 on: November 01, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »

Then provide a picture.  I am thinking of blued steel like what is on most of the service weapons I have used.  I just know way too many cops that have itchy trigger fingers and a lightsaber anodized to look like anything gun metal would have them drawing very quickly.  

Why do you thnk most have tasers now?  To cut down on accidental shootings.

Edited after doing google research:

Gunmetal, also known as red brass in the United States,[1] is a type of bronze – an alloy of copper, tin, and zinc.[2] Originally used chiefly for making GUNS, gunmetal was eventually superseded by steel. Gunmetal casts and machines well and is resistant to corrosion from steam and salt water,[3] and is used to make steam and hydraulic castings, valves, and gears, and also statues and various small objects, e.g. buttons. It has a tensile strength of 221 to 310 MPa, a specific gravity of 8.7, a density 8,719 kg/m3, and a Brinell hardness of 65 to 74.  (capitalization is mine)

I pulled the above paragraph from google.  Notice that it was once used for making guns.  The pictures I have seen of this look like older shotguns.  It has a very brown to almost black tint to it.  Believe me, law enforcement is aware what is used in the manufacture of firearms and when I was a member, it was drilled into me to know what to look for.  

If you see me in any pictures wearing my lightsaber, you will notice that I have it in full view.  Getting tased, or if in more rural areas shot, is not high on my priority list.

Back on topic though, I do think Dark Bronze is a great idea.  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:05:29 PM by bluespike74 » Logged

Hakkonen
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #936 on: November 01, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »

Did you actually click the link?  There's a picture on the Wikipedia page.  Looks like a bright brass to me, but that might just be the lighting.

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #937 on: November 01, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »

I've always taken gunmetal to be a bluish-grey metal like the MR Assaj Ventress saber replicas were made from. It has a nice look to it for sure, especially on the curved hilts and black leathery stripes that Ventress had on hers.

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #938 on: November 01, 2012, 05:03:01 PM »

Did you actually click the link?  There's a picture on the Wikipedia page.  Looks like a bright brass to me, but that might just be the lighting.

Tell you what partner, I am not getting into an argument with you about this.  If you have a picture of bright brass and it is listed as gunmetal, then please post it.  I have never seen a gun that looks like bright brass that was functional.  

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone that is a member and if it cannot be used to source a research paper, I don't see it as a valid source.  On the wikipedia page, the definition has three sources that link directly to encyclopedias.  The pic has zero sourcing.

These sabers are built to have fun and not to be dangerous.  We have several resident masters on the forum that stress safety all the time.  I agree with their philosophy.  This was the reason I said that gun metal was not a good idea.  Now if someone meant bright brass, then sure.  I think that would make a wonderful looking saber.  I have seen some on YouTube built by others that look very nice.  

When I did an image search for the term gunmetal, I either received images of guns or car wheels.  Since I know that some members are uneasy around firearms, I chose to list this image of the car wheel.  I do my best to respect differences of opinions and not make anyone feel uneasy with images that I post.

This is listed as color gunmetal on the seller's website.

Image 1 of gun metal car wheel

Image 2 of gun metal car wheel from a 2nd site:

If I am interpreting the color incorrectly, then so be it.  I can only go from the sources that I have access as I am not a metalurgist or an artist.  My philosophy is to err on the side of keeping people safe.

Have a nice day and happy sabering.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:08:36 PM by bluespike74 » Logged

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #939 on: November 01, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »

Red brass (copper-zinc-tin alloy), also called gunmetal, is what the article was about. I see both sides as correct and it doesn't really matter anyway - we all knew what Blue was talking about.

I would really like moar copper sabers....

no

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #940 on: November 01, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »

Red brass (copper-zinc-tin alloy), also called gunmetal, is what the article was about. I see both sides as correct and it doesn't really matter anyway - we all knew what Blue was talking about.

I would really like moar copper sabers....

If the price of copper would come down, it would be nice to see an re-release of the Elder as a version 3.  I agree with you wholeheartedly on this Luna.  Point to you.

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #941 on: November 01, 2012, 05:17:10 PM »

A cobalt-nickel alloy would give us the color we're looking for here. It could be a dark answer to the nickel plated finishes that have made the Monarch and Liberator LEs look so good.

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #942 on: November 01, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »

Yikes what did I start! I was refering to the "gunmetal" dark almost black silver color from the Games Workshop paints. The rims are a pretty acurate rep.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #943 on: November 01, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »

I think it might be interesting to see a saber anodized a color akin to battleship gray. Probably wouldn't be popular, but it would be interesting to see. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #944 on: November 01, 2012, 07:14:08 PM »

I think it might be interesting to see a saber anodized a color akin to battleship gray. Probably wouldn't be popular, but it would be interesting to see. Smiley

Adding cobalt to aluminum could accomplish that task, Manny! That would look sick! Dark, yet still metallic... yeah. Sign me up!

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 583   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: