Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 583   Go Down
Author Topic: Suggestion Box/Wishlist: what do we want from Ultrasabers?  (Read 1496316 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #6420 on: September 09, 2018, 01:24:43 PM »

I'd like to see Ultrasabers move away from the USB connections that rely on the Microsoft HID driver. After many attempts, I finally got my Obsidian sabers to connect to my Windows 10 gaming machine. I literally have to pull up the device manager, plug in the cable to the already on saber, and hope it connects without a Code 10 error. (which even Microsoft can't fully explain, just like most of their error codes Roll Eyes ) If I get the error, I have to unplug the saber and try again. It never works the first time and takes anywhere from 5 to 50 times of plug, unplug, plug, unplug. (no, I'm not exaggerating) Also, sometimes, even when it connects, the saber still doesn't load right in the Launcher, and I have to start that tedious process again. I don't fully blame Ultrasabers for this, part of it is Microsoft's fault for sure. It's their driver and it's literally not been updated in 12 years. But, it's a pain in my butt. I only have 1 computer with Windows, the rest are all Linux, so this is literally the only computer on which I can do this. Also, USB 2.0 ports are disappearing on computers. I only have two on mine, and they're way in the back. The rest are USB 3.0.

So, I'd like to see something else for Obsidian. Maybe bluetooth. If that costs too much, maybe a MicroSD card setup.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2789

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6421 on: September 09, 2018, 01:43:59 PM »

Modern USB like USB 3.0 or the USB-C works just fine, it’s the outdated USB 2.0 that is the problem especially with Wondws 10 build 1607 and newer. USB 2.0 drivers are no longer supported by Microsoft so they no longer get the updates that they need to work with the newer builds of Windows 10 since it’s over 20 years old and the driver for it is over 10.  I think US should go with the micro USB and USB 3 or USB-C which are much faster, more reliable, and still supported which are guaranteed to work with Windows 10 and it’s many build versions. They really need to get away from the mini USB foot print as well, hardly anyone uses that connected any more.

MandaloriansPride
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 60

« Reply #6422 on: September 09, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »

I'd like to see Ultrasabers move away from the USB connections that rely on the Microsoft HID driver. After many attempts, I finally got my Obsidian sabers to connect to my Windows 10 gaming machine. I literally have to pull up the device manager, plug in the cable to the already on saber, and hope it connects without a Code 10 error. (which even Microsoft can't fully explain, just like most of their error codes Roll Eyes ) If I get the error, I have to unplug the saber and try again. It never works the first time and takes anywhere from 5 to 50 times of plug, unplug, plug, unplug. (no, I'm not exaggerating) Also, sometimes, even when it connects, the saber still doesn't load right in the Launcher, and I have to start that tedious process again. I don't fully blame Ultrasabers for this, part of it is Microsoft's fault for sure. It's their driver and it's literally not been updated in 12 years. But, it's a pain in my butt. I only have 1 computer with Windows, the rest are all Linux, so this is literally the only computer on which I can do this. Also, USB 2.0 ports are disappearing on computers. I only have two on mine, and they're way in the back. The rest are USB 3.0.

So, I'd like to see something else for Obsidian. Maybe bluetooth. If that costs too much, maybe a MicroSD card setup.

Strange, we use both Windows 7 and 10, both using the USB 3.0 ports in our house and haven't had any problems with the Obsidian, Emerald. or Diamond controllers.
I wouldn't want to go to SD though, especially with the Emerald and Diamond. I like being able to see the changes I'm making without needing to disconnect a SD card, put it in the lightsaber, try it and then repeat the process.
I would be really afraid that B/T would hike the prices up too much.  

Only change I would like to see would be maybe have the USB port on the hilt somehow so that you don't have to pull out the board at all.

Proud Owner of:
Graflex CE w/Diamond Controller
Spectre (Black Hilt) w/Diamond Controller
Lost Gray w/Diamond Controller
Guardian w/Emerald and Obsidian v4
Spectre w/Obsidian v4
Archon v3.1 w/Obsidian v4
Consular w/Obsidian v4
Dark Shock w/Obsidian v4
Arbiter w/Obsidian v3
Shock - installed myself
12 additional Mystery Box sabers

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6423 on: September 09, 2018, 02:00:22 PM »

Strange, we use both Windows 7 and 10, both using the USB 3.0 ports in our house and haven't had any problems with the Obsidian, Emerald. or Diamond controllers.
I wouldn't want to go to SD though, especially with the Emerald and Diamond. I like being able to see the changes I'm making without needing to disconnect a SD card, put it in the lightsaber, try it and then repeat the process.
I would be really afraid that B/T would hike the prices up too much.  

Only change I would like to see would be maybe have the USB port on the hilt somehow so that you don't have to pull out the board at all.

Windows 10 has 6 different builds with a 7th in its way. Each of these builds work differently with drivers since some drivers are released to work with specific builds and aren’t compatible with newer ones. Typically, this is more of an issue with older laptops but it also happens in new ones as well since they normally come out with newer builds and aren’t compatible with other softwares or drivers especially if softwares use old driver and hardware footprints not to mention that all new laptops have USB 3 and USB-C technology

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6424 on: September 09, 2018, 09:35:05 PM »

Six different builds? Jeez, no wonder I hate Microsoft sometimes. It figures I'd get the difficult one. Roll Eyes

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6425 on: September 09, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »

Six different builds? Jeez, no wonder I hate Microsoft sometimes. It figures I'd get the difficult one. Roll Eyes

Yes, unlike Windows 7 where service packs were being used, Windows 10 has the following builds:

1809 - Releasing Jan 15, 2019 to the public
1803 - Current build
1709 - retires 4/9/2018
1703 - retires 10/9/2018
1607 - retired 8/20/2018
1511 - retired
1507 - retired

MandaloriansPride
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 60

« Reply #6426 on: September 09, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »

They're all Feature Updates - kind of like the service packs of old. Usually released in the spring/fall. Most of the time it updates on it own and most users don't even realize it.

Proud Owner of:
Graflex CE w/Diamond Controller
Spectre (Black Hilt) w/Diamond Controller
Lost Gray w/Diamond Controller
Guardian w/Emerald and Obsidian v4
Spectre w/Obsidian v4
Archon v3.1 w/Obsidian v4
Consular w/Obsidian v4
Dark Shock w/Obsidian v4
Arbiter w/Obsidian v3
Shock - installed myself
12 additional Mystery Box sabers

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6427 on: September 09, 2018, 11:47:25 PM »

I have mine set to only update when I want it to. Not as easy to do in Windows 10 as it was 7 and earlier, but doable.

Ironically, after 2+ years of running only Linux, I bought this computer with the intent of running Windows only software, including the Obsidian launcher. It works, but it's a giant pill getting it to work.

BlindJedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2374

I don't need vision to defeat you.

« Reply #6428 on: September 10, 2018, 04:28:21 AM »

I think we need a few more blade options, specifically the length.
I mean we have 16, 24, 32, 36, and 40.
How about 20, and 28 inch blade options in there, for when the 32 is just too long, and the 24 is a little too short.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6429 on: September 10, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »

They're all Feature Updates - kind of like the service packs of old. Usually released in the spring/fall. Most of the time it updates on it own and most users don't even realize it.

Actually, with Windows 10, it takes like a little over an hour to update each of these and trust me when I say, they do notice.  I get complaints all the time and when I look up the computer on my end, I see a build update

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6430 on: September 10, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »

It's really hard to not notice any update that causes your computer to take unusually long to shut down and start up.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6431 on: September 10, 2018, 12:36:15 PM »

It's really hard to not notice any update that causes your computer to take unusually long to shut down and start up.

And that's just before it restarts or shutdown.  It takes a few more minutes if not longer in the shutdown or restart screen.

DarthJt
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 71

I am the Blind Jedi.

« Reply #6432 on: September 10, 2018, 12:44:42 PM »

I think we need a few more blade options, specifically the length.
I mean we have 16, 24, 32, 36, and 40.
How about 20, and 28 inch blade options in there, for when the 32 is just too long, and the 24 is a little too short.
Just wanted to bring this up again.

I am the other Blind Jedi

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6433 on: September 10, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »

I actually bought a pipe cutter (supposed to arrive tomorrow) with the expressed purpose of cutting down some blades. But, more length options would be nice for people who don't want to do that.

Stone37
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 82

« Reply #6434 on: September 10, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »

This is next on my wishlist + L.e.d. retention screws for all future sabers so the sabers doesn't rattle Smiley Wink ..

The Maul rebels lightsaber  Smiley Wink ..

The new Spectre has this feature and the base hilt, when you remove the pommel and the emitter, can be made to look like almost any Star Wars lightsaber. I'm loving mine and am already thinking about buying some parts for it.

Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 583   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: