Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: choosing what blade length  (Read 2424 times)
kracken06
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: March 04, 2015, 05:01:07 AM »

I am going to be buying a double bladed saber soon and i do not know what length blades to get i am probably getting the phantom v4 and idk if i should get the standard 32 or go 36.
i am 6ft tall and strong so im not worried about weight. just looking right and felling good when dueling.

any thoughts??

Sypho Ruut
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 58

Light side.. just

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:31:16 AM »

I'd probably say 32 inch blades. I've used a staff now and then, and i tended to find that 36 inch blades were unnecessarily cumbersome, but if you're uncertain then it might be best to get the larger blades and cut them down until it feels right.
 as for what looks right, that's really up to you, i know a man who uses a yari extension between the two hilts and really short blades, uses it like an electrostaff. Each to their own!

Owned;
 Flamberge-BR/emerald/BR-obsidian
 Dark Liberator-GB

Want;
 Mantis in BH
 Archon in AB
 Monarch in SY

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 602

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:33:09 PM »

I am 6ft tall also, and i would go with the 32s. I even prefer to have 32s on all my sabers. But its really up to you.

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Exile in CG w/sd and silver foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebie)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Dark Initiate V2 in GB (freebie)
 Franken saber in VA
 Dominix LE V2 in BR (friend)
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd and

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »

I am 6'1" and used 32" blades on my staff originally, then found out I really like how 28" feels.  That makes my staff about as tall as me, or a little bit taller, and find it to be easy to handle with a length that still looks good.

FYI, Ultrasabers will cut the blades down to a custom length for $5 per blade.  That's how I got my 28" blades.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Darth Milakos
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 12:01:36 AM »

I don't know I think the x-long blades are perfect for me and i'm 6ft 5in

Indignatio
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -33

Sith Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 01:00:06 AM »

I'm 6'3" and I went with 36" for  my Menace staff....

Apprentice LE V4 Emerald w/ Sound (Customized)
Archon V2.1 w/ Sound (Customized)
Menace SE Staff Emerald w/ Sound
Guardian Emerald w/ Sound (My Wife's Saber)

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 01:14:54 AM »

What kind of food and vitamins did your mothers feed you tall fellows?  My x-hubby was the shortest of three males and he was 6'3" which was a foot taller than myself.  I have a lifetime of neck strain looking up.  Grin  I use the 24" blades but would prefer 26 - 28".

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 02:10:49 AM »

What kind of food and vitamins did your mothers feed you tall fellows?  My x-hubby was the shortest of three males and he was 6'3" which was a foot taller than myself.  I have a lifetime of neck strain looking up.  Grin  I use the 24" blades but would prefer 26 - 28".

Hey Dauntless, I hope I never offended you, calling u man or sir, lol, I had no idea you're a girl....... my bad.......  Smiley

And for me, I'm 5' 10", I prefer 32" blades, I nearly always request them in the comments field of my orders, instead of 36" blades, and they are no extra charge..... I'm only just now wielding a staff more than before, and I really like 2x 24" blades for these.....

I am 6'1" and used 32" blades on my staff originally, then found out I really like how 28" feels.  That makes my staff about as tall as me, or a little bit taller, and find it to be easy to handle with a length that still looks good.

FYI, Ultrasabers will cut the blades down to a custom length for $5 per blade.  That's how I got my 28" blades.

Good to know.... Thanks  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Sypho Ruut
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 58

Light side.. just

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 02:15:35 AM »

My earlier advice was based only on the times i'd used a staff, but if we're talking about personal preferences too, then here goes;

I actually like the longer blades, i'm used to some hand protection, and the weight of a steel blade.. So a longer blade makes no difference for me in terms of balance, a 40" UEHG feels the same in the hand as a real cavalry saber, but it also gives me a bit more space to keep my fingers a little less bruised. Usually though, i use a 36", either UEHG or HG, as we spar full force. I've used 32" before, and i liked it, but i found i was at a disadvantage to the longer blades that outweighed the advantage i gained from the slightly faster movements i was able to make.

With a buckler however (which is possible according to the EU), short is good, maybe a 28", give or take a couple of inches for the emitter socket.

Owned;
 Flamberge-BR/emerald/BR-obsidian
 Dark Liberator-GB

Want;
 Mantis in BH
 Archon in AB
 Monarch in SY

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 02:53:14 AM »

JediXIX.  No worries as this typically is a male dominated interest.  Thanks and you can address me as " yes sir ma'am sir " and a salute scores points as well.  Wink  Grin

JediXIX
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 03:39:10 AM »

JediXIX.  No worries as this typically is a male dominated interest.  Thanks and you can address me as " yes sir ma'am sir " and a salute scores points as well.  Wink  Grin

"yes sir ma'am sir".....  Would this get me a point?  Cheesy

JediXIX
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 03:42:39 AM »

oohh...... or this could be more appropriate Smiley

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 04:40:18 AM »

Oohh... a fast learner.  Shocked   So here's your first point.  Smiley  Off to bed and owe you one.  Can't stay up another hour but I'm good for it fine sir.  Wink

Kracken you also get a point for graciously putting up with our silly bantering (but get used to it on this forum).  Light or dark side? 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:43:39 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: