Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Loose Convertec installation  (Read 1318 times)
Valefor
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« on: September 27, 2015, 04:38:20 AM »

Hey everyone, pics inbound but I've got a brand new Initiate V4 and well I love it. Definitely getting more sabers. But there's one problem. It shipped with a really, really loose convertec mount that frequently pops off after just a couple swings. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it, so I can gratuitously hang this bad boy from my belt. It simply looks like the bolt is just too shallow. Not only that but the clip seems to be installed in a groove, as you can see from these pictures below. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thank you in advance.

Location of the hole is visible here

You can see it resting on the groove tops.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:41:32 AM by Valefor » Logged

Schtuperman
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »

If you have a grinder or belt sander I would note the orientation of the clip making sure it is facing properly, and gently grind off a bit of the material at the point it is contacting the raised rib so it sits flush on the hilt.  You may have to remove a bit from the other edge if it is contacting the rear rib.  This will allow the screw to obtain a better purchase in the threads.

Graflex CE: AB/AS
Overlord: (x2) BR/AS-HP/AS
Shock LE: AS/AB
Manticore: (x2) CG/AS-VA/AS
Guardian: GB/AS
Archon: FO/SY
Crimson Reaper: (x2) SY/AS-AS/BR
Dark Arbiter: CG/AS
Phantom Initiate v3: BR/AS
Phantasm Initiate v3: CG/AS
Raven: GB/AS
Dark War Glaive: PO/AS
Dark Standard: AS/BR
Menace CE: Emerald

Valefor
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:02:53 PM »

If you have a grinder or belt sander I would note the orientation of the clip making sure it is facing properly, and gently grind off a bit of the material at the point it is contacting the raised rib so it sits flush on the hilt.  You may have to remove a bit from the other edge if it is contacting the rear rib.  This will allow the screw to obtain a better purchase in the threads.
I thought I might have to do that. I guess that'll save $35 next time instead of having them install it! But seriously, is this a common problem? or is this just a fluke? I do not have a belt sander, I'm in the middle of re-aquiring much of my tools, so if anyone knows an alternative, like if anyone knows the type of screw it uses, I might just get a longer one that reaches better. 

Schtuperman
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 08:57:08 PM »

$35?  I thought it was something like $4.00 & $14 to install?  I have covertecs on nearly all of my sabers and mine all fit perfectly.  I've never had an issue with one.  I imagine it is just the way that yours wound up fitted on the hilt.  Probably more of a drag & expense than it's worth but you could always send it back and have them correct the issue.

Graflex CE: AB/AS
Overlord: (x2) BR/AS-HP/AS
Shock LE: AS/AB
Manticore: (x2) CG/AS-VA/AS
Guardian: GB/AS
Archon: FO/SY
Crimson Reaper: (x2) SY/AS-AS/BR
Dark Arbiter: CG/AS
Phantom Initiate v3: BR/AS
Phantasm Initiate v3: CG/AS
Raven: GB/AS
Dark War Glaive: PO/AS
Dark Standard: AS/BR
Menace CE: Emerald

Valefor
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »

$35?  I thought it was something like $4.00 & $14 to install?  I have covertecs on nearly all of my sabers and mine all fit perfectly.  I've never had an issue with one.  I imagine it is just the way that yours wound up fitted on the hilt.  Probably more of a drag & expense than it's worth but you could always send it back and have them correct the issue.

Perhaps I am mentally throwing in cost of materials then or something of the sort. Either way if that's the case using a flat surface a little further down probably would have been a better choice. But I'm glad to hear. Honestly I'm very happy with the saber. It's just this one portion seems almost like an afterthought.

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 09:16:24 PM »

8-32 socket head screw. You can get a longer replacement at your local hardware shop, but you might need to file it down so as not to interfere with the battery pack.

As for the step in the middle of your wheel, you can smooth the hilt by sliding a shroud over the area. A ring cut from 1.5" 22 Gauge sink tube will just side over the hilt. Alternatively, thinwall 1.25" PVC will also fit, but not as snugly.

if the screw hole in the hilt has been stripped, you might need to drill and tap a new 8-32 hole elsewhere in the hilt.

Finally, it sounds like you just recently ordered - this sort of thing is probably covered under your warranty, if you want to shoot an email to [email protected].

Valefor
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 10:06:51 PM »

8-32 socket head screw. You can get a longer replacement at your local hardware shop, but you might need to file it down so as not to interfere with the battery pack.

As for the step in the middle of your wheel, you can smooth the hilt by sliding a shroud over the area. A ring cut from 1.5" 22 Gauge sink tube will just side over the hilt. Alternatively, thinwall 1.25" PVC will also fit, but not as snugly.

if the screw hole in the hilt has been stripped, you might need to drill and tap a new 8-32 hole elsewhere in the hilt.

Finally, it sounds like you just recently ordered - this sort of thing is probably covered under your warranty, if you want to shoot an email to [email protected].
Thank you so much! That's fantastic, and yeah it's likely covered under warranty, but I love having it! I also like tinkering so it might help me see what else I could do to customize the thing, I think I'll get the screw, thank you!

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »

Sure thing, just be sure to grab another socket-head screw. At my local Lowe's, they're in the specialty screw drawers. The more readily-available pan-head screws are too wide to fit into the covertec wheel without drilling out a wider recess or grinding down the screw head.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: