Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Advice on a new staff  (Read 4385 times)
Mr.0PT1C
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 18

Guardian from the Corellian Jedi Order

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »

Im 5-10"

Ive used 36" blades - a bit weird at first but i got used to it.
I now have 30" blades and its alot more comfortable - i dont feel like i lost any reach with them either.

Its all alittle trial and error. But 32" blades are a great start.

Phantasm Saber Staff - GB
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[]|||[ ]||||||||||]:[||||||||||[ ]|||[]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Don't tell me the odds.

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 01:58:20 AM »

I thought I would throw my 2 cents in as well, since I'm mainly a staff person.

To start off with, the only two sabers I own are both staves, one of which is the Dark Standard Issue V3 with UEHG blades and the other is a Phantasm Initiate V3 with mid grade UE Initiate blades. I GREATLY prefer the initiate sized hilt because it just feels more right to me. I was a bit hesitant at first to get the initiate blades with it, but I much prefer them over my 32" UEHG blades.

Spec wise, I am 5'9" and began training with a wooden staff that measure about 4'8" or so, so I was used to spinning something shorter than myself. The Phantasm Initiate V3 staff with two initiate blades measure around 5'4" I believe, so it's almost the perfect length for me to wield. My DSI staff with the UEHG blades measures 6'10" and is very cumbersome for me to wield effectively, especially for spinning, which is mainly what I do. It is MUCH easier and much faster for me to do everything I want to do with the Phantasm Initiate staff. If you are 6'1", I would recommend starting with the 32" blades. I'm sure you'll find them to be a good length for you.

In terms of color, I do not own a standard blade. I only own two UEHG blades and two UE blades, but I can guarantee you that Blazing Red looks better in the regular UE blades. If you're mainly focused on spinning, I would go with mid grade blades, but it will come down to preference whether or not you want UE or standard blades.

As for balance points, the balance point will always be in the center for a staff (obviously). When duel wielding or single wielding however, the balance point is just above the emitter on the Initiate hilts with a mid grade initiate blade. With a 32" heavy grade blade, the balance point is more like an inch and a half to two inches up the blade. I would think with a full sized Phantom hilt, the balance point would be slightly more toward the pommel in each case.

I do not know about the quick disconnect option when it comes to initiate hilts. I know that the Initiate V3 hilts are sound capable, but whether or not they allow for quick disconnect I do not know.

Hopefully you found some or all of that useful in making your decision.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 08:37:57 PM »

US don't put quick disconnects into the Initiate, but it's possible to do it yourself - see www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=15588.0 for more info.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: