Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Luckiest Thrift Store Madness  (Read 3046 times)
DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -4

No Points Pls Balance of the Je'daii

« on: May 14, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »

Just in the past two months I got my first 55 Star Wars Books, starting directly after the movies in timeline all the up to Fate Of The Jedi, all for 66 cents a piece! I just got another 21 book haul at another thrift store (with some doubles but for that cheap why not grab them) at Five for $2. The rest, adding up to 91 books including doubles (some are first edition hardcover or paperbacks from bantam and then the newer editions from Del Rey with Raised Gold lettering/some changed graphics), I got from thrift stores two our three at a time. That's just the Star Wars Books.

I go all the time right after my appointments or errands and when I visit my dad on the weekends because he has the best one of all time. So Other then those two massive hauls I've been like 8 times or so. Here's the Gold I got within the last two months for dirt cheap other then my 91 books.

Star Wars related Stuff: Original Vintage cassettes to go with the Third book in the Thrawn Trilogy. Set Of Three Original from the 70's, not reprinted, AMAZING Posters from an artist who only did star wars that once. 3 of 4 Of the ROTJ Limited Edition comics as well as two Vintage Story Books from the 70's as well.
I got both the special edition and original edition VHS box sets, plus the first and second episodes (I only need the third to complete the VHS's ahah) because my brother has a badass VHS playing tv in his room we watch together. Plus some of those editions are better IMO. Today I just got "The Best Of PC" 5 video games in one, (includes Empire At War, Knights of The Old Republic!, Battlefront, Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast, Republic Commando & Star Wars Galaxies 14-day free trial). The last time I got the Star Wars Starfighter for PS2 because I'm not much of a gamer and that's the only system we still have that's not broken other then Sega. Last but DEFINITELY not least, a Vintage Kenner Millennium Falcon play set with all 9 of the figures still there (No Box), I paid the most for this then any item, $30.

Books Non-Star Wars Related Fantasy: Today I got Game Of Thrones brand New $40 price tag Four Book box Set for $2 . A 60's LOTR Trilogy BoxSet with amazing artwork. 8 Sookie Stack House Books (True Blood) to connect with my sister. Only One Dexter From Showtime series Books. Old Definitive Author's Edition copy of Ender's Game. Last weekend I got City Of Bones, City Of Ashes, and the first of the Prequels Series Clockwork Angel, All From the Mortal Instruments Series (coming out with the first movie soon if not already). Beautiful Creatures (movie just came out). The First Harry Potter, with the ability to get all of them at any time if I want considering you can walk into any thrift store and usually get most of them, if not all, in one trip. A $40 "Inside Star Trek" book written by two of the creators for $1 because I loved what JJ Abrams did with the first new movie and I want to give it a shot. Thought that would be a cool way to start.

I constantly am having to pass because I dont have enough money and seeing stuff I KNOW people would Love.

TBooks unless they are hardcover 50-66 cents a piece. Mostly everything else is a dollar but some of the full sets or video games were $2. The Good Will Super Stores are great. If you're in MD, the best one I've ever been to is Collin's Avenue (Thrift Stores Of Baltimore). I am so happy and blessed to have gotten this amazing collection, just in terms of what I got from Thrift Stores, so fast and SO CHEAP! My friends hsve gotten Vader and Clone Helmets, Blasters, Figures etc. What do you guys think? What Gold have you pulled out from the rubble? Tell me your stories!  Smiley

"At the heart of any poor soul not at one with the Force, there is only void" -Unknown Je'daii 2,545 TYA (Tho Yor Arrival)

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:40:02 PM »

That's really neat DarthJimmer.

I don't have too many thrift-store adventures as it's usually hit or miss and it's no where as interesting as yours.

But this one time I did come across a pewter mug and plate for about $5.00-7.00 I think.
Now, I don't know if you're familiar with pewter mug's but this particular mug was a very common one seen at Renaissance Faire's, medium sized, can fit all four fingers, has a little emblem on it, but it usually runs for around $15-45 depending on the vendor and size.

I'm not sure if Swap Meet's count too but I've picked up many ps1 / N64 classics from there which I never had the opportunity to play as a kid.

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »

Only a few - and nothing as good as yours.

Mainly I look out for books, so for example a Transformers collected comics (c. 15-20 issues collected together) going for £15 in a bookstore, but I found it for £2 in the discount store next door.

Or the Harry Potter books (I think it was the first four at that point) in hardback for £5.

Nothing amazing, but worth having nonetheless.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »

@ Waxman
That sounds like a badass mug though haha

@JC For sure, any kind of scores are awesome none the less..

Maybe this will inspire others to go digging.

I figured the 14 day trial woul dhave been already used (possibly not since these disc are BRAND NEW). I installed galaxies not realizing the game got shut down in 2011 lol Here's onto Knights Of The Old Republic!

"At the heart of any poor soul not at one with the Force, there is only void" -Unknown Je'daii 2,545 TYA (Tho Yor Arrival)

ScorchMark
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -17

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »

Rest in peace Star Wars Galaxies. You were a good game, you were just misunderstood.

T.T

ScorchMark is my handle because I like to see the galaxy in the flames of war

Darth Morbus is my name, I am Sith

May the dark side guide your blade.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:28 AM »

I once scored an old copy of X-Wing (the plain old original floppy disc one) for a couple bucks at a Salvation Army store, along with a volume of Ranma 1/2 for FIFTY CENTS! WOOT! That's probably my all time favorite thrift store find. Those suckers are 10 bucks most places, and 5 if you can dig one up on sale at a con.

Slightly off the beaten thread path, but at a Pawn Shop recently I scored a nice round of smalls from the $5 bin I thought was horribly overpriced.... until I got home and went online. lol Furuta USS Prometheus, Alternate Future Enterprise D, Excelsior, Runabout Rio Grande, Bust of Spock, aaaaaand.... Gentle Giant Bust Ups Clone Wars Obi-Wan, ROTS Clone Trooper, and CHEWBACCA! The GGs were only worth about what I paid, which is still a nice cheap score for some AMAZING Action Figure sized busts. The real score was the ships though, those suckers are like 20 bucks a piece on ebay! Grin

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »

Those ships imo were your best scores! lol

I think we can add Flea Markets, Yard Sales, Pawn Shops, and just around any way you got a super cheap find into the mix.

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »

Who else feels like they're shopping on Tatooine when you walk into a thrift store or walk to a swap meet?

I particularly pretend that it's the post-apocalypse and I'm browsing items from an age long since passed and forgotten.

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 06:44:32 PM »

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p480x480/984159_10200406599981357_1209229713_n.jpg

Entire VHS Collection SWAG. I'm kinda pissed they don't have episode three (my favorite of the prequels, return of Vader duh) as a vhs, they made it for UK and Australia but its rare and PAL not NTSC so it wont work in our Players so its pointless.

You might say, "Jimmer why did you get the three original copies if you have the original box set?"...We'll 1. The badass artwork, 2. cheap as hell 3. It's the only copies available for sale that are legit the original copies, even the box set has newer sound and some tweaks. Kind of Crazy you cant get that edition on DVD, so I burned a bootleg anyways lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: