Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: New to the Saber scene, and I need a little help!  (Read 3670 times)
TheForceIsWithYou71
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« on: February 25, 2015, 04:47:21 AM »

Hey everyone. I've owned many Master Replicas sabers over the years, but I've always wanted one that I could duel friends with. I've been looking at purchasing an UltraSaber for a few weeks, and after hearing negative and positive reviews I've decided to bite the bullet and let the Saber speak for itself. My dilemma comes in which one to purchase. I'm looking at getting 2, one Sith saber and one Jedi saber both with sound. For the Jedi saber I'm looking at getting a Graflex SE with guardian blue maybe. But I need recommendations for a good Sith saber. Also any recommendations for a new guy to the hobby would be well recieved, and any recommendations on a Jedi saber would be appreciated as well, as I am not completely set on the Graflex SE yet.

Sabers owned
Graflex SE in GB, Obsidian Sound, with a MidGrade Blade and Lighted Blue AV Switch
Bellicose in BR, Obsidian Sound, with an UltraEdge Blade and Lighted Red AV Switch
Initiate with standard switch in GB

Jgiancursio
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:20:41 PM »

I also have a Graflex in guardian blue ---- it is AWESOME! As far as a with saber to match, you could go "Empire" and match Luke's Graflex against Vader's Chosen One. If you are looking for something more original than a chosen one, I have a dark shock in blazing red with a red a/v switch and it is pretty badass. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever decision you make. You will be happy with your sabers, I am sure.

Scorpion (obsidian w/red AV) - Blazing Red
Graflex CE (obsidian) - Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1(obsidian) - Consular Green
Dark Liberator (obsidian) - Violet Amethyst
Dark Prophecy - Guardian Blue (grab bag saber)
Dark Shock (obsidian w/red AV) - Blazing Red
Dark Menace (obsidian w/yellow AV) - Sentinel Yellow
Consular - Consular Green (obsidian w/green AV)

TheForceIsWithYou71
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 03:29:05 PM »

Is there any sith looking saber you can recommend that would be comfortable handling backhanded/Starkiller style?

Sabers owned
Graflex SE in GB, Obsidian Sound, with a MidGrade Blade and Lighted Blue AV Switch
Bellicose in BR, Obsidian Sound, with an UltraEdge Blade and Lighted Red AV Switch

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 05:16:16 PM »

Is there any sith looking saber you can recommend that would be comfortable handling backhanded/Starkiller style?

The Graflex and Chosen One look amazing, but the grips are not terribly comfortable. I have a Chosen One. I love it, don't get me wrong, but it's not even my 3rd choice for a dueling saber.

Despite it's size and weight, the Scorpion is fairly well balanced and comfortable in a reverse grip.

I would venture to guess that a Reaper or a Raven might also suit your purposes for a Sith saber. And depending on how particular you are to detail, the Bellicose is fairly close to Starkiller's saber.

As far as Jedi sabers go, the Guardian (Obi-Wan Ep I), Consular (Qui-Gon), Archon (Luke Ep VI), and Shock (Shaak Ti) are all good reps of canon sabers. The Shock and Archon (I speak form owning) are both good for dueling. Both light weight and easy to grip.

Hope this helps.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:21:45 PM »

I'd suggest that it comes down to how much emphasis you place on looks vs. functionality. All US 'sabres can be used for duelling, and none of mine are so heavy or cumbersome that I'd say they were for display only. However, there is - in my experience at least - something of a sliding scale between the amount of detail in a design and the level of comfort you feel wielding that hilt.

The Prophecy line of hilts is excellent for handling - almost everyone who has one seems to agree on this. The light side hilt is that bit cheaper, and would make a cool Jedi hilt. I'm not massively fond of their appearance, but that's a subjective thing.

I really like the Catalysts, and either one of them could look great for your purposes, as well as being among the most comfortable hilts US offer.

The Sentinels are also really comfortable, but among the plainer hilts (especially without the windowed emitter option).

The Menace is a really nice hilt, great to look at and really easy to wield (One-handed, at least; Remove the covertec wheel for two-handed duelling, would be my suggestion).

At the other end of the scale, hilts like the Malice, the various Scorpions and the Guardian are very heavy but also very striking hilts - the Guardian in particular is quite stunning in looks, but is the only one in my collection I don't feel comfortable using one-handed because it's so heavy.

I have no experience with the Graflex or Chosen One, but I can see where the grips would be uncomfortable for some. I expected the same problem with the Prophecy, but the grips on those hilts are recessed rather than projecting, which seems to make the difference.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

cstoehr
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 117

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:47:42 PM »

I would recommend the Overlord for a Sith saber.  It's light weight can be used either one-handed or two-handed.  The grooves between the switch and the emitter are attractive, but they also help to secure your grip.  I'll also recommend the Dark Standard for the same reasons.

My Ultra Sabers:
Scorpion (VA)
Crimson Reaper (SY)
Overlord (FO)
Dark Prophecy (SRD)
Prophecy (VA)
Chosen One (BR)
Archon (CG)
Malice (BR)
Graflex CE (GB)
Dark Standard (CG)

Other Force FX lightsabers:
Darth Vader (red)
Anakin Skywalker (blue)
Luke Skywalker (green)

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 01:18:57 AM »

Hi TheForceIsWithYou71....... Here's a pic to wet your appetite  Smiley

Graflex SE in AB  and Chosen One CE in BR

These are both AWESOME but I agree with Logos, they are not the most comfortable for duelling...

So it gets down to budget and personal taste..... and James ideas of Prophecy / Dark Prophecy or Catalyst / Dark Catalyst would be excellent, both very comfortable to wield and would be fun as a light side / dark side pair.... The same for Sentinel / Dark Sentinel or Aeon / Dominix, all really good value and very comfortable....

Cheers  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

TheForceIsWithYou71
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 01:56:36 AM »

Thanks for all the assistance everyone. I truly appreciate it. I think I'm going to go for the Graflex for the Jedi saber. I've always wanted one. Guardian blue with a mid grade blade and Silver FoC sounds pretty nice. I'm definitely looking at a Dark Prophecy, Bellicose, or a Dark Catalyst for Dark Side.

Sabers owned

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »

Cheers, and happy dueling

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 08:06:15 PM »

Thanks for all the assistance everyone. I truly appreciate it. I think I'm going to go for the Graflex for the Jedi saber. I've always wanted one. Guardian blue with a mid grade blade and Silver FoC sounds pretty nice. I'm definitely looking at a Dark Prophecy, Bellicose, or a Dark Catalyst for Dark Side.

You could get the Bellicose with quick disconnects for your Sith saber because it is a great saber for both sides.

TheForceIsWithYou71
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 02:15:37 AM »

Quick Disconnects for the Bellicose sounds like an excellent idea.

Sabers owned

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 12:57:12 PM »

I haven't suggested this in a while, but you could always get two Bellicoses Cheesy The coloured accent button can be changed to about 6 different colours, and you could always have the AV switches in different colours as well - red with a blue blade, blue with a red blade...

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 03:20:02 PM »

I haven't suggested this in a while, but you could always get two Bellicoses Cheesy The coloured accent button can be changed to about 6 different colours, and you could always have the AV switches in different colours as well - red with a blue blade, blue with a red blade...

That seems a touch expensive. Now if they could work out a way to work the AV lights like am Emerald saber, and have them run in series so that your AV switch and blade always matched, I would so be all over that.

Sig by For Tyeth

TheForceIsWithYou71
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 04:27:40 AM »

I do find myself more excited for the Bellicose than I do the Graflex, I'll admit. However I want to get two different hilts, just so I can have a couple examples of US products to look over before deciding to make another purchase. I figure the Graflex and the Chosen One are the peak examples of what US can do so far so getting the Graflex sounds pretty cool. (If that even makes sense. Almost midnight here, so a bit out of it.)

Sabers owned

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 06:14:10 AM »

I use the Bellicose for my Jedi saber because it was the one that "spoke" to me.    Mine has B+G Emerald driver and others bells and whistles and I adore the thing (as almost everyone knows).  It's an excellent dueling saber, but it's a little heavy for swift, one-handed moves.  It's possible, of course.  It just takes practice.  Never really thought about a Sith saber because the Light side is my thing, but I could see the Bellicose working for both.  Smiley   Personally, I think the Menace looks like a great choice for a Sith-style saber.  I hear it's quite light to wield, too.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: