Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Old Shock hilt with Menace emitter. Need help!  (Read 4160 times)
Darigaz
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« on: February 13, 2018, 03:22:20 AM »

Hi all, it is the first time i am playing with an Ultrasaber as my previous one was a DIY PVC saber. Thus with my first "purchase", I have met some problems and would like to seek help!

The LED in the shock that i got was screwed/mounted on an aluminum plate that was suppose to rest on a ledge inside the female thread and that the focusing lens were suppose to be held in place by the blade stop/ledge of the emitter.
I realized that the absence of a blade stop/ledge in the menace emitter meant that there was no way to hold the lens in place. I was planning to fabricate a lens holder to solve the problem. However I am not sure whether it would be plausible. Next was the depth of the retention screws would mean that there will be very little space for the screws to grab on to the blade after insertion. Anyone has this problem and have solutions for it? Would love to hear some suggestions from the experience community! Thanks in advance

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:15:47 AM »

All LED's from US are housed in a module, like this -

The way you're wording it sounds like you don't have a module.  So the LED star goes on a pad, the lens goes on top of the LED star and the whole thing screws into the outer housing/module (pictured above).

So to clarify, what parts are you missing?  What parts aren't working?

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:23:01 AM »

Pictures of everything you are talking about would help us help you. Without then you probably went very much help, just a lot more questions back.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Darigaz
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:59:22 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys. Will post pictures after work!.

It seems like maybe the the previous owner(friend) of the shock might have tempered with the LED module.  Sad

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:27:03 AM »

If so don't worry, you can get the parts you need from TCSS (The Custom Saber Shop).

Darigaz
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. Will post pictures after work!.

It seems like maybe the the previous owner(friend) of the shock might have tempered with the LED module.  Sad

Above is the picture of how my led star was mounted LOL. the lens is then pressed against the led star by the emitter.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 06:54:10 PM »

Hi.  So you have a lens clear protector and ring top/cap for the housing so that it's enclosed ?  I'm still not clear... is that the whole of it and if so how is the blade stabilized ?  It should have damaged the exposed LED by now.

The problem likely is that the Shock takes the larger LED while the Menace uses the regular one.  You may have to not use that Menace emitter... but difficult to tell.  I have a few Shock but no longer the Menace.

Suggest placing a rubber like 0 ring on the top of the LED housing for both a divider and soft cushioning for the Menace emitter.  Not sure what size though but I think it is one 0 ring size smaller than the ones that are used on the outside of the saber.  LED quick disconnects are another option if you can solder.  Ultimately this is not a good situation.  

Let us know how it goes.  Smiley

Darigaz
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 10:34:28 PM »

Hi.  So you have a lens clear protector and ring top/cap for the housing so that it's enclosed ?  I'm still not clear... is that the whole of it and if so how is the blade stabilized ?  It should have damaged the exposed LED by now.

The problem likely is that the Shock takes the larger LED while the Menace uses the regular one.  You may have to not use that Menace emitter... but difficult to tell.  I have a few Shock but no longer the Menace.

Suggest placing a rubber like 0 ring on the top of the LED housing for both a divider and soft cushioning for the Menace emitter.  Not sure what size though but I think it is one 0 ring size smaller than the ones that are used on the outside of the saber.  LED quick disconnects are another option if you can solder.  Ultimately this is not a good situation.  

Let us know how it goes.  Smiley

I have whats shown in the picture, a focusing lens and then. The emitter. Thats all of it lol. There is a blade stop ledge inside the shock emitter so the blade doesn’t actually come into contact with the lens/led star. Planning to cut a short section of 1 inch OD acrylic tube, glue the lens to the tube so that it acts as an blade stop/led housing when i use the menace emitter. Will post pictures when its done.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »

I have whats shown in the picture, a focusing lens and then. The emitter. Thats all of it lol. There is a blade stop ledge inside the shock emitter so the blade doesn’t actually come into contact with the lens/led star. Planning to cut a short section of 1 inch OD acrylic tube, glue the lens to the tube so that it acts as an blade stop/led housing when i use the menace emitter. Will post pictures when its done.
Hope the plan works. I'm not sure if that is a really old saber but I'm pretty sure that is not how they come now. I haven't seen a LED and heat sink that look like that.

If you wanted to you could always buy a new one to replace it, just take a little soldering.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 11:48:38 PM »

That appears to be the LED from a Catalyst that's been switched into the Shock. It won't fit the protective MHS housing used when making Shock hilts, so to 'restore' it you'd be looking at buying a new MHS-fitted LED for $35, or $70 with flash on clash (and something else for Tri-Cree that I don't remember off the top of my head).

D7 and yourself have the right idea, I think - a bit of protective padding around the edge of the LED pad to stop the emitter squashing anything. Given the difference in depth between that pad and an MHS, though, I'm surprised if the emitter even comes close to the pad - unless you have a lot of extra wiring under the pad that's filling in the space the MHS casing would normally take up? Or is the ledge inside the hilt holding the pad right below the emitter?

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 12:31:09 AM »

Damn, showed you how much I take apart my Catalyst LOL. I knew it had a different lens, didn't realize that's how the LED looked. But that's what it is. Here is mine.

Darigaz
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 12:50:35 AM »

Oh god so its a catalyst LED. Sorry for troubling you TX  Lips sealed made me feel better as i thought the LED wasn't supposed to be mounted like this haha. Appreciate it!

@James & D7, The aluminum pad is held in place by a ledge in the hilt, just below the threading. It seems the menace emitter screws on nicely, the pad/led star does not cause any problem. Yes i will put in some sort of padding to stop the blade from damaging the LED as a temporary solution. Will definitely be getting separate LED module to "restore" it in the future.

Felt so much better after consulting everyone here. Seriously thought the previous owner messed up the internals.

Edit: NOW I GET IT! It does seem weird that the Shock that my friend passed me had a Catalyst pommel but it all makes sense now LOL

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 02:30:33 AM »

Okay... why didn't I just take apart my really old Shock... likely the first version made.  But then that would just be way too easy to explain your dilemma.  lol  Roll Eyes  

Here's some pics to show what you are missing.

The first is like yours.  Open exposed LED and then the missing part of the puzzle.  A protective lens cover that is sealed in permanently to the Shock emitter... just above the threading.

Next is a closer view of that glass cover... yes thicker glass as in like an old style fuse.  The red color that is showing through is a gel filter sitting on the outer top side of the cover... which is held in place by a silver metal rim that the blade would be resting on.

Exposed LED with snug thicker black 0 ring for protection.

Lastly the open LED at the top of the hilt and then the emitter with the lens that screw together for a secure connection.

Fascinating... as Spock would say.  Grin

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:05:32 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Darigaz
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 03:17:04 AM »

Sooo thats how it was supposed to be for the old shock, similar to the catalyst i see.

A little troublesome when we want to use a different emitter. Need to do some customization  Undecided. I also just placed an order for a male/female .75inch extension just so i can have more depth for the blade insertion into the menace emitter. OR i could use some O rings like how you did it.

Thanks again D7!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 03:29:52 AM »

Glad to be of help.  Make sure that you add on to this thread with your extension piece and other ideas.  Hope all works out well and you have a solid working saber.  My favorite saber is a Shock.  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: