Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Neopixel String Blade Mounting  (Read 1332 times)
ZSG327
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: June 24, 2023, 06:57:06 PM »

I am doing a completely DIY saber hilt design but purchasing all of my internals/electronics from Ultrasabers. To that end I've purchased an Obsidian v4 soundboard, batteries, charger, BuckPuck, and Neopixel String Blade with an in-hilt connector. To my understanding, the wiring is fairly simple--switch to soundboard, soundboard to buckpuck, buckpuck to connector, and the in-hilt connector has spring-loaded pins which depress a bit and contact the PCB on the base of the String Blade. The only thing I'm having trouble understanding is how to mount the String Blade itself to the in-hilt connector.

Do you have to solder the spring-loaded pins of the in-hilt connector to the PCB on the base of the blade? Or is simply depressing the pins enough to maintain contact?

Additionally, if the latter is the case, how are these blades normally retained in the hilt from a mechanical standpoint? I can't imagine they're epoxied in place or something, so my best guess is that the blade is pressed into the emitter, comes into contact with the pins on the connector, depresses them, and then the blade is held in place via turning a few set screws in the emitter. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Saber Surfer
Administrator
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 08:09:41 PM »

Here are the specs for the New Obsidian Soundboards https://2c8743b5c21a7446e688-24c64746c0242e5bf1605462dc262579.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/newObsidian_Specs.pdf It shows installation for connector and pixel blade as well as analog (in hilt LED). You will not need the Buck Puck the board has a voltage regulator on it, but you will need a .5ohm 3 W resistor on the red wire on the board. The blade is typically held in the hilt with a blade retention screw in the emitter.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: