Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Switching hilts  (Read 1515 times)
Slim.Mclean
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: September 27, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »

Hi,
I'm brand new to this forum, and brand new to lightsabers. I'm sure you're going to be getting a flood of new users from the hundreds and hundreds of sabers that were sold at Salt Lake Comic Con, but rest assured, I tried doing a thorough search of the forum and couldn't seem to find and answer to my question.
I just bought a red Dark Menace, with sound, but it's not the hilt that I really wanted. The other two I really had my eye on were sold out, and there was line of about 50 people behind me, and I'd already been there for an hour and a half so I just picked one.
Anyways, I LOVE the saber, overall, but I'd like to swap hilts with one I can buy on the site, Dark Prophecy, specifically.

Can anyone tell me what this would entail? Is it simple? Complex? Is there soldering involved?

If it's too complex, would I be able to switch out just the emitter and pommel? (They're both MHS compatible, but i noticed the silver part, with the windows cut into it, that the emitter covers is quite long, and wasn't sure if another emitter would be long enough or if it would stick out of the emitter.)

Thanks for your time,
-Slim

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 06:38:43 PM »

Yes, that's possible, but without decent electronic and technical knowledge pretty complex to achieve.
With an appropiate MHS compatible hilt you can change them, yes. For the Prophecy and Dark Prophecy, though, you can only swap pommels, the emitter is not changeable Smiley

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:40:02 PM »

I noticed the Dark Prophecy is Sold Out on the website.  It wasn't just physically at the Con, so it may be anywhere from 4-8 weeks before it's back in stock.

Assuming you are not an expert in dealing with delicate electronic components, I would not suggest an electronics swap.  I would just find a Buyer for your Menace and then get the Prophecy when it's back in stock.

Yes, you may lose a few dollars in the process, but if you were to buy a Stunt Prophecy from US and then send the Menace in for the switcheroo - it will cost you a LOT more as you'll be paying for all that Shipping to & from as well as the Disassembly & Installation Fees.

Besides - the Dark Menace is a really awesome hilt; if you sleep on it for a few days, you might find you prefer it.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Slim.Mclean
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »

Thanks for the informative and helpful replies, guys.
Yeah, definitely not an electronics expert, so I'll probably just hang onto the Menace. It's not that I hate it, it's just that I'm not a fan of the Phantom Menace! In fact, I'm so not-a-fan, that I didn't even recognize it as being modeled after you-know-who's saber. I didn't put two and two together from the name until after I had gotten home. Also, I just have very large hands, so with the knurled knobs there is just nowhere I can really put them comfortably, without jamming into them every time i swing it around. I took the two red ones off, and the look is still great, minus the bare metal threaded holes. Maybe I can find something with a smaller profile to screw into them, though.

I do have another few questions, one is related to the first, the other isn't though it is still a technical question. Let me know if I should start another thread for them.
When it comes to changing the emitter, would it be the entire threaded piece that screws into the hilt, and holds the blade, with the set screws that's being replaced? The reason I ask, is that the receiver (?) for the blade, the part with the set screws, is really quite long, and if I was to get a replacement emitter I'm not sure how it would look, with the silver tube sticking out.

My second question is, I've been messing with the saber, and I accidentally found out about changing the sound font from some combination of holding down the button, releasing the button, pressing the button, etc, but I just cannot get the process dialed in! I'd like to be able to do it consistently as it's a pretty cool feature. I thought I'd have figured it out by now, but no luck. I also thought one of the basic operations like that would come with the print-out, if not definitely in the FAQ, but I can't find it!

Thanks again, guys!

Slim.Mclean
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 11:42:52 PM »

Nevermind about the switching soundbanks, I was able to search the forums and find the v4 intro video explaining how to do it. I was WAY overthinking it, haha.

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:42:24 AM »

Hi Slim.Mclean, welcome to the forum & Ultrasabers  Smiley

The Dark Menace is a great hilt, and yes you can swap out the whole emitter, you don't need to keep the silver underlay, each US emitter has the blade retention screws.... here's a pic of the Dark Menace with a silver War Glaive emitter and Bane pommel as an example of swapping emitters & pommels

The knurled screws have a 8-32 thread so you can just buy some small 1/8" button head replacements from your hardware store or online perhaps..... if you get longer screws you may need to grind them down or they may interfere with some of the internal soundboard or LED module etc.... cheers Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 04:53:12 PM »

Nevermind about the switching soundbanks, I was able to search the forums and find the v4 intro video explaining how to do it. I was WAY overthinking it, haha.

Glad to hear you've found your answer. I was going to say, every MHS emitter I've handled, is well deep enough to accommodate the blade. I was just thinking a Dark Arbiter emitter on a Dark Menace would look pretty shnazzy.

Now to be the police. Before continuing on the forums please read and post to RULES.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=117.0

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: