Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘Godzilla’ vs. ‘Pacific Rim’: Guillermo Del Toro Loves the Idea  (Read 677 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: April 05, 2013, 03:00:07 AM »

Legendary Pictures seems to have a taste for giant monsters right now; following their release of Jack the Giant Slayer last month, they’re also producing Gareth Edwards‘ 2014 Godzilla reboot, and are one of the companies behind Guillermo Del Toro’s forthcoming summer blockbuster, Pacific Rim. With a sequel to Del Toro’s film already in development, rumors and speculation are beginning to spread about what the sequel might bring.

Of course, our ability to guess accurately is limited by the fact that Pacific Rim isn’t out yet, and therefore we don’t know how it ends or whether the plot of the first film will set up the plot of the second. However, with Legendary producing two kaiju movies more or less within a year of each other, questions are inevitably being asked of whether we might see a crossover between Pacific Rim and Godzilla in the future.

When prompted in an interview with Collider to comment on whether there was “an inkling in [his] brain” of a crossover sequel, in the eventuality that both films are popular enough, Del Toro replied:

“So far with the sequel, what we’re writing, what we’re creating, is very different, so there are no plans.  Hypothetically, I would love the **** out of it.  I would love to see a Jaeger and Godzilla duke it out.  That would be too much for the human brain.  But I don’t think there are plans on that.  I don’t even know what direction they’re taking Godzilla in. I know somewhat that it’s grounded differently.

“[In] Pacific Rim … the color, the saturation of color, was almost an acid-drip version of the Heavy Metal coloring that I loved when Richard Corben was working there, when [Jean-Claude] Forest was working there.  Super bright, super saturated, the crazy color and aesthetic.  And Godzilla is more realistic, somewhat.  That’s my thinking.  That’s what I’ve heard.  I don’t even know which way they’re going.”

On the face of it, the match seems perfect. After all, the plot of Pacific Rim concerns giant robots that were designed and built to do battle with the menacing kaiju – giant monsters from another dimension that emerge from the oceans to wreak havoc on Earth. Or, as it’s also known, the most expensive episode of Power Rangers ever made. Godzilla himself (or herself, according to the 1998 movie) is probably the most famous kaiju of all time, and early Japanese monster movies like King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla were a big inspiration for Pacific Rim.

However, there a few additional challenges other than those mentioned by Del Toro. In the original Godzilla movies, mankind is usually taken off-guard by the giant lizard, and the military are left struggling to even make a dent in its hide. Bringing Godzilla into a Pacific Rim sequel after the first film already featured humanity building the resources to take care of an entire army of kaiju, would require some beefing-up on the creature’s part to make him seem like a considerable threat. Then again, Godzilla’s atomic breath might give him a bit of an edge.

Would Godzilla vs. the Jaegers be “too much for the human brain,” or does it sound more like a retread of Pacific Rim‘s original set-up?

Pacific Rim is out in theaters on July 12th, 2013.

Godzilla will arrive on May 16th, 2014.

Source: http://screenrant.com/godzilla-pacific-rim-jaegers-kaiju-movie-discussion/

————

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: