Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41   Go Down
Author Topic: The Knife and Sword Thread  (Read 179161 times)
Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »

They are even banned here in california. You get caught with one of those with out an extremely good reason. You get 6 months jail time and/or a $5000 fine.
The reason I was asking about gerber is I was look at their stuff for a good camping/fishing/survival knife. I found this one but needed to know if they're worth the $44 for one knife.

Got my vote.

My multi-tool is awesome. Smiley

I don't have any experience with their knives, but if the blade is anything like the one on the tool, it'll be very nice.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 05:19:36 PM »

Hi everyone.  For some surprising reasons I am really enjoying following this topic.  Special appreciation to Grey owl, Jel-Bel ( Seb ), and Viv for more personally directed answers to my post.  

Not that I would want either, but I would rather be shot then stabbed/cut and especially at close quarters.  Think that's why I prefer swords... esp. a Samurai and even 36" lightsaber blades which is way too long for my height and stature.  Gotta keep some distance for my perceived safety/security level.  Did train in multiple martial arts but not recently.  Undecided

Viv... I really like that dagger.  Has a dragon/reptile like quality to it.  Cool

points to all who have shared so far and thanks  Smiley

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »

Hi everyone.  For some surprising reasons I am really enjoying following this topic.  Special appreciation to Grey owl, Jel-Bel ( Seb ), and Viv for more personally directed answers to my post.  

Not that I would want either, but I would rather be shot then stabbed/cut and especially at close quarters.  Think that's why I prefer swords... esp. a Samurai and even 36" lightsaber blades which is way too long for my height and stature.  Gotta keep some distance for my perceived safety/security level.  Did train in multiple martial arts but not recently.  Undecided

Viv... I really like that dagger.  Has a dragon/reptile like quality to it.  Cool

Thanks Wink

Just a random though: Once, i read a manuscript about the length of weapon considering melee combat for dueling. It says that, in western civilisation, the length of the weapons was related to the social rank: noble people fight using sword (fencing ...) and low social class fight using open hand technics (wrestling ...) ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2017, 12:43:51 AM »

Yes!
Gerber does indeed make a very fine product:

I have one of those too. Love it.

This is a pic I took of easily my favorite knife in my collection.  It is a 'Cold Steel' brand 'Triple Action,' and because I'm in Australia it cost waay too much.  I still love it though  Tongue
For those not in the know, it opens similar to a balisong, except the hinge is at the pommel instead of the emitter (excuse the saber terminology, but I thought it fitting  Smiley )

That's a beautiful piece.  I've got several Cold Steel knives, including my two favorite combat knives, both tantos.  They make really solid stuff. Oh, and two of their polypropylene bokken, which are about as indestructible as an Ultrasaber.  I really need to find the rest of my collection to post pictures of.

The reason I was asking about gerber is I was look at their stuff for a good camping/fishing/survival knife. I found this one but needed to know if they're worth the $44 for one knife.

Yes, it's worth it. Solid blade, light weight handle.  Unless you intentionally try to break it, that will easily last 10+ years. My only advice would be to see if you can find the same or similar model with a partially serrated blade. Usually they make them with and without serrations so you should be able to find one. Gerber also makes some nice boot knives.

I completely agree with you on being shot vs. stabbed. And an even better idea to avoid either (although I have been stabbed twice, once with a knife, once with a sword. The sword wound required 5 stitches, the knife wound only two.).

My preference would also be a sword, but I have no issue using a knife should the need arise and/or the conditions warrant it.

The dagger is a piece of art. Not much of an edge, but the blade is a shallow diamond shape, and it's roughly hammered out, so it going to leave a nasty ragged hole if it goes into someone. The kind where the blood just pours out.  And you don't really find too many solid bronze weapons anymore.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2017, 01:24:52 AM »

My ridiculously huge "pocketknife":

With some pants, funny enough, the clip does seat right as the bolster touches the bottom of the pocket.

Grin

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2017, 01:27:51 AM »

My ridiculously huge "pocketknife":

With some pants, funny enough, the clip does seat right as the bolster touches the bottom of the pocket.

Grin

That one, shade, is easily my favorite in this thread so far. Wow that's a gorgeous knife.  The curved handle is killer - it's like a Count Dooku knife.  Awesome stuff.  +1 to you!

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 01:29:06 AM »

Hey shade_1313, that a Cold Steel Espada?  Freekin' love that knife.  Was so awesome when Mickey Rourke pulls it out in The Expendables  Grin

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 01:29:19 AM »

Here's  a picture of 3 of my pocket knives. The last one is probably lost in a box somewhere.

And here's a pic of the entire knife collection.

When I was younger one of my brothers and I went through a sharp pointy thing stage. Thankfully were just doing knives here.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 01:33:19 AM »

Hey shade_1313, that a Cold Steel Espada?  Freekin' love that knife.  Was so awesome when Mickey Rourke pulls it out in The Expendables  Grin

Yes, it is.  Got it during one of their sales.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2017, 01:59:16 AM »

When I was younger one of my brothers and I went through a sharp pointy thing stage. Thankfully were just doing knives here.

Shocked  Oh my these are visually awesome !!  Would be difficult without holding to choose a favorite.  Smiley

I'm going to say the top one on the left of center, the smaller wooden handled one 3 down from the top right and certainly not last...  the silver ornate skull head and creepy bony fingers one on the lower left between the really fancy middle east perhaps Turkish one and the wavy blade one.  Isn't there a Filipino sword that is wavy like that blade ?

Must stop looking or will change my mind.

point for the share.  Cool

EDIT:  Holy shelle... you just changed your avatar !  Love it !   Cool Cool

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2017, 02:21:30 AM »

One to the right of the top center FTW!

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2017, 02:23:51 AM »

Thanks Dauntless and Calon. It was pretty nice having everything out to see again. Most of them spend their time boxed up. Would like to build a display someday to show them off more. Oh and thanks for noticing the avatar. I'm pretty happy to have finally figured out how to do that right. Only took a couple of years.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2017, 03:14:09 AM »

Shocked  Oh my these are visually awesome !!  Would be difficult without holding to choose a favorite.  Smiley

I'm going to say the top one on the left of center, the smaller wooden handled one 3 down from the top right and certainly not last...  the silver ornate skull head and creepy bony fingers one on the lower left between the really fancy middle east perhaps Turkish one and the wavy blade one.  Isn't there a Filipino sword that is wavy like that blade ?

The wavy bladed one is a Kris knife (or dagger, depending on the length, although they're used pretty much interchangeably) and actually originated in Indonesia.

@Hansrad - Unicron for the win!  And that's a very nice collection. I see a number of Gil Hibben designs, and I've got one of the Dragon Split Blades on the right.

I don't own this, but I want it:

The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2017, 03:22:59 AM »

Honestly, I love the simplistic beauty of the wooden handled one three down from the top center. I also like the one just to the left of the one with the blue stone in the blade. But really, those are all pretty awesome.

Point to you

I don't own this, but I want it:

I just have to give you a point for that thing. It is simply gorgeous in a crazy, weird way.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2017, 03:52:57 AM »

No, this is gorgeous in a crazy weird way.  I'm pretty sure the green is actually a reflection from the trees.  Again, I don't own this one:

Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: