Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Phantom V3 review  (Read 5768 times)
ice
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 45

« on: June 24, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »

So I bought a V3 phantom, cause I think it looks awesome and would be a great platform to build my personal saberstaff from, and there's a few things I really like about it, but also a few things I don't.  But lets start with some pics

For my purposes, I'm going to be re-wiring the whole thing anyway (not that it needs it, but I plan to add a PC and some other stuff to it), so I just bought the base model, cause all I really care about is the hilt itself.  And it's even more pretty in person, A++ for design.  From here, I'd like to break the review up into two parts.  Seeing as most people will be purchasing this saber without intentions of rewiring it, I will review the saber as a whole.

THE GOOD:

It's quite pretty, as previously stated.  The double chokes are not only functional, but also really help to break up the overall look of the hilt(s)

The chokes really do provide really nice hand grips, both as single sabers and as a saber staff

It's really bright, as with all ultrasabers, but what would you expect?  Smiley

It has a nice solid feel to it as single sabers

It's most definitely durable

The price is certainly good at only $130

The anodizing is quite durable

THE NOT SO GOOD:

When you put the two halves together, IT WEIGHS A TON!!!!  The two hilts attached are over 900 grams, which is quite heavy to be spinning around even without the blades.  I did get used to it after a few days, and it is certainly doable, but not easy.  When using two hands on the staff it's fine, but one handed twirls and such are a challenge, and I've been doing all types of staff combat for quite a good number of years.

Weight (in grams) of standard Liberator V2 (just has some grip material and thumbscrew added) compared to standard Dominix V3.  The numbers speak for themselves.

It's much thicker then the Dominix V2, like a ton thicker.  I understand why, cause it's MHS compatible, and MHS hilts are just about the same thickness as the new Dominix, and more room was needed internally for the soundcard and such to be able to fit, but it's still rather annoying being used to the grip of a sleeker saber to then pick this one up, for it's much prettier then it's predecessor, but also more clumsy.  Not to say your hands can't fit around it, cause they can just fine, but if you're used to thinner sabers, it's just annoying IMO.

Dominix V3 size comparison to Dominix V2 and Liberator V2

So that's basically it.  Overall, I do like the hilt, and it is a good saber, but there are certainly a few annoyances with it.  Also, figured I throw in a few pics on starting the customizations, as I think it brings out the beauty of the saber much better:

Lightside points please Smiley

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:43:08 AM »

Nice customize. How was it done if you don't mind sharing?

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

JediShadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 43

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:45:11 AM »

Its like an Aeon LE with black grooves! Really like that you've done to it. I was already happy that you went blue with a black hilt. But taking of the anodizing makes it that much better. Great work! Here is your point  Grin

"Twinkle" - GB Blue Standard Issue v2
"Icingdeath" - AB Dominix LE v3
SRD Aeon v3
PO Monarch
BR Phantom Initiate v3
AS Dark Liberator v3
CG Dominix v2

ice
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 04:39:38 PM »

It was done using a belt sander, though normal sandpaper would have the same effect, just take longer.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »

Awesome saber and what you did at the end is something I haven't seen done before.

The weight is the trade off, a little extra hilt and room for trustfires vs no trustfires. Grin

Like you said though it's something your muscles will get used to.

Point, enjoy.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 701

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 08:48:32 PM »

Thanks for the review and I am very glad that you enjoy your Ultrasaber. The customizations you made look great!

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with it being to heavy or too thick or annoying to wield.  The choke points on the hilt make his saber great to wield, much better than the Dominix v2, in my opinion.  Also, aircraft aluminum is one of the sturdiest and lightest metals we could possibly use. Considering his is TWO sabers combined, it is very lightweight.

I love the new v3 series. They opened up all new possibilities for our most basic sabers and they have much more of the look and feel of a real weapon worthy of wielding.

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

JediShadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 10:09:25 PM »

My Dominix v3 will be here on Tuesday! And I don't have to work!!!  Cool Anyway I'm interested to find out how these feel. The only other ultrasaber I've held is a v2 standard issue so I'm excited!

SRD Aeon v3
PO Monarch
BR Phantom Initiate v3
AS Dark Liberator v3
CG Dominix v2

ice
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:51:35 AM »

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with it being to heavy or too thick or annoying to wield.  The choke points on the hilt make his saber great to wield, much better than the Dominix v2, in my opinion.  Also, aircraft aluminum is one of the sturdiest and lightest metals we could possibly use. Considering his is TWO sabers combined, it is very lightweight.

Yes, the choke points are nice, but is much thicker then the V2 hilts, which is annoying when your used to them, and the same with the weight.  I've used Dominix v2 staffs, and this staff is more then twice the weight because of the thickness of the hilt, thats a fact.  This also means it moves much slower during spinning, and takes much more energy to use, meaning you get tired faster.  I still like it, and plan to use it for years to come once I finish the mods I have planned, but I do wish it were lighter.

Goldleader
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 124

I am a humble student of the force

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 04:18:30 AM »

I have the standard Phantasm V3 with UEHG, It is definantly a heavier saber, but I'm sure once you go out and have a little more bonding time it will grow on you and be much more fast than you think Grin I'm jealous of this custom job, does the metal just end up that smooth and polished after you belt sand it?

))]____o_))))))|_]=[|                               )

My Collection:
Savior/Obsidian
Archon/Obsidian
Arbiter/Obsidian
Bellicose/Obsidian
...and a whole lot of stunts...

Solinus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -209

Black Star Sabers

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »

Ice... Lightside points to you for the customizations that you made. You took what was (to me IMHO) a rather plain color scheme and made it much more interesting. Like, by 10 times! Great job.

Thanks for the review as well. It was very well written and the pictures helped a ton! Please be sure to share with us the progress on your custom work. I can't wait to see how it ends up!

Control your fear. Give in to your hate. Let it guide you along the path and soon you shall find yourself... home.

**Dark Side points appreciated.**

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »

Good review. As to the weight, to each their own. I love heavy weapons. I would have liked to try the steel sabers. When I was charging my batteries and wanted to train, I grabbed a five foot steel pole. I find my brother's Dominix V3 to be quite nicely weighted personally, but as I said, everyone has different taste.

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

ice
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »

does the metal just end up that smooth and polished after you belt sand it?

Yup.  It's a rather fine grit sandpaper, so it takes a few minutes to strip the anodizing completely, but it does end up nice and smooth everywhere.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »

Looks great, I like the customization.

I do have to disagree on the weight thing for a couple of reasons.

The earlier dominix models, and initiates, i found were TOO thin, same with the liberator v2. Ive tried using a freinds versions of each of these, and because of how little weight is in the hilt, i found the balance with a heavy grade blade is very off.

That and with how thin they are, they really felt off to me. But then again ive got a domv3, a guardian, a graflex, and a dark prophecy so, ive been using so many different grips and hilts lol.

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

MajinKnux
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -3

I...am the solution

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »

I am personally a big fan of the double-bladed style, and that hilt looks to be extremely comfortable for that, especially with that choke.

"The point is not to bear suffering in stoic resignation, but to seek it out; for it offers an opportunity to test and display prowess."

JediShadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »

I am personally a big fan of the double-bladed style, and that hilt looks to be extremely comfortable for that, especially with that choke.

Yes I quite agree. My next saber is going to be a double bladed stunt of some kind.

SRD Aeon v3
PO Monarch
BR Phantom Initiate v3
AS Dark Liberator v3
CG Dominix v2

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: