Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Catalyst Review  (Read 4998 times)
DJDace
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -11

« on: July 20, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »

Hey guys!

I've been meaning to write a review about my first couple of US saber acquisitions, but I had been SO insanely busy preparing for SD Comic Con that I hadn't had any time to do so. Now I finally have a moment to do a little write up and post some pictures and a few thoughts about my personal saber (my wife's DVA Dark War Glaive I will write about later) - my Dark Catalyst in Pyrestone Orange.

So, first the critical specs;

Model: Dark Catalyst
Blade Color: Pyrestone Orange
Blade Type: Ultra Edge Heavy Grade
Switch: Red Illuminated AV Switch
Sound: Obsidian USB Sound

This saber really is a beautiful piece. The lines of the hilts design are incredible, and the knurled bands in the hilt provide a fantastic grip surface. The addition of a tapered choke point just below the emitter makes for an intuitive two handed grip surface that immediately makes one think of a traditional Bastard Sword. With this grip layout, the Catalyst can easily be wielded either one or two handed allowing for fantastic handling and control when dueling or flourishing the blade.

Now lets move on to one of the sabers more striking yet subtle features - the emitter. This crenelated emitter is just a wonderful design feature and was one of the primary reasons I chose this saber hilt over the many other stellar options offered by US. Unlike sabers like the Raven or War Glaive (which are both awesome designs in their own right), the Catalyst's emitter is much more subtle and elegant which I found very appealing. I found it to be a tasteful addition to the sabers overall aesthetics without being ostentatious. Taken together with the other smooth lines and features of the hilt I feel that it creates a very organic and fluid look. The Dark Catalyst strikes me as a saber that a Sith Warrior would chose if he/she were looking for an elegant, no nonsense weapon suitable for quick and nimble one handed duels or savage and brutal two handed hack and slash attacks.

I will note that the blade does seat much shallower into the emitter/hilt that one might anticipate. As such it does feel a bit blade heavy balance wise. I don't mind this myself personally but others may look for a more balanced saber (or maybe get a shorter blade to offset this). I actually like the perceived additional blade length it appears to give the saber, which is in keeping with the Bastard Sword type feel of the Catalyst.

My saber was sent back in to get a Pyrestone Orange RGB LED added in to replace the original Fire Orange I had purchased with it initially. As you can likely see in some photos the Green diode in my saber is a little bright and as such gives the blade a bit of a greenish/yellow coloring at the emitter which gradually changes to yellow/orange at mid blade to a blood orange at the blades tip. I feel it makes the blade appear to look like fire; fading from yellow to pale orange to blood orange. It's a very unique look that has really grown on me. You can see the color gradient I mentioned a little more clearly in the picture below. Also of note, I am very glad I opted to get the illuminated AV switch as it provides a really beautiful accent to the hilt and it just POPS in low light!

The Obsidian Sound is what really makes these sabers special. Originally I had no sound on my saber and it really, sincerely felt like there was a huge hole in the saber. While a beautiful saber, it was missing its soul. As soon as I got it back from Emory with the Obsidian USB Sound added, it was like the saber came to life! Taking some time to download a number of fantastic sound font packages, I finally put together a mix of sounds I was really happy with and that I felt captured the Sith feel I was looking for that really complimented the sabers aesthetics. I went with a mix of Blackstar, Sister of Shadows, Stygian General and Ancient Saber sounds. I was absolutely floored that the amount of memory that the Obsidian board had! I think all told I loaded a good 8-10 different options for both swings and impacts and a couple of options for lockup sounds. The volume of that little speaker inside the hilt is truly remarkable! The placement, along with well thought out venting for the pommel really allows the sounds come through clean and clear. Just listening to the saber's idle hum, you can almost feel the hilt vibrating!

In closing, I am extremely happy with this purchase. My Catalyst really brought my Sith Lord costume together and it made for a ton of fun at SD Comic Con as I tried to hunt down lone Jedi who had wandered to far away from the safety of their Republic allies Wink I had a lot of younger kids approach me at the Con and ask to have their picture taken with me and if they could hold my lightsaber, and I was only too happy to indulge them! I am sure a lot of their parents were cursing me as I can only assume now that it is all their kids were asking for after having a chance to swing it around a bit haha Cheesy I think all together, I made a pretty menacing Sith with a wickedly elegant yet deadly lightsaber!

Thanks for taking the time to read my first review! I hope you found it amusing and informative! I'll be sure to follow this up with my wife's thoughts on her Dark War Glaive in DVA!

Faa-Yal Dragu
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Jedi knight, wandcrafter, heathen

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »

man, that is EPIC! loving the colour, and it looks like an awesome saber to weild. point!

The jedi only use their powers to defend and protect,
although (waves hand) You will give me lightside points.

Abraxus
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -32

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:04:46 AM »

I have always appreciated the clean, elegant lines of the Catalyst, and the dark version, with the PO blade is a winning combination!

My Collection
------------
Dark Prophecy (Consular Green)
Archon V2 (Blazing Red/Arctic Blue)
Raven (Violet Amethyst)
Initiate V3 (Guardian Blue)

Lionus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -29

Dark side points please!

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »

Nice Saber dude! I was originally gonna build my own with the MHS builder and it looked similar to that! I think that the Dark Catalst will likely be my next saber. There is just something about the line of it that is just so refined! Grin

There are those that choose to see the Light in everything, and thus are ill equipped to handle the true being of the Darkside!!!

Sandtracker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 05:04:11 PM »

Great saber, DJ! Owning a Dark Catlyst myself, a shorter blade will help a little with the balance issue. I also was thinking of sending the saber back to have PO installed into it instead of AS.

LordBane10
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 3

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »

Nice saber.

I love Ultra Sabers!
Sabers: Blazing Red Dominix V2 LE -Main saber-, Guadian Blue blue Liberator, Guardian Blue red Liberator, silver Consular Green Liberator. Orader- GB Bellicose Gold Button Obsidian!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 01:03:38 AM »

^ This has to be my favorite pic out of them.  It's just awesome looking... the glow on the saber is so intense.

Great pick, the saber is incredibly badass.  I love the Pyrestone on that hilt, especially with the red AV switch.

Lionus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -29

Dark side points please!

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 01:07:59 AM »

I think this will be my next Ultra Saber! Grin

There are those that choose to see the Light in everything, and thus are ill equipped to handle the true being of the Darkside!!!

DJDace
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -11

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »

^ This has to be my favorite pic out of them.  It's just awesome looking... the glow on the saber is so intense.

Great pick, the saber is incredibly badass.  I love the Pyrestone on that hilt, especially with the red AV switch.

Ah thanks Nero! It's one of my favorites too! That shot really brings out the best of the sabers color and style! It makes it seems as though the plasma of the blade is bursting forth from the emitter! Cheesy

I couldn't agree more about the illuminated AV switch as well. The red really sets off the hilt and helps add an extra little Sith element to the overall aesthetics of the saber!

I was playing around some more with the Obsidian sound board and have saved a few really cool Sith oriented profiles that I am exceptionally happy with. I am so glad I opted to send the saber back in to have sound added. It's like night and day! I just can't help myself most days and I have to pick the darn thing up and go through some swing patterns just to listen to it and watch how rad the blade looks as it arcs through the air!

Now all I gotta do is finish completing ornamental leather armor for the costume before Long Beach Comic Con so I can dominate the Masquerade costume competition! Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: